You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/22/uk-inflation-rate-rises-price-rises-interest-rates

You shouldn't laugh, but what else can you do. Inflation was supposed to dip in the latest figures but it is stubbornly staying high, and actually increased. That's everyone with a mortgage fucked because the BoE know nothing other than interest rates need to increase. Can we just not shoot the Tories out of a cannon and into a wall already?

36 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/22/uk-inflation-rate-rises-price-rises-interest-rates

You shouldn't laugh, but what else can you do. Inflation was supposed to dip in the latest figures but it is stubbornly staying high, and actually increased. That's everyone with a mortgage fucked because the BoE know nothing other than interest rates need to increase. Can we just not shoot the Tories out of a cannon and into a wall already?

The only thing I got right was renewing my fixed rate mortgage which covers all but the last few months of the mortgage term, just before inflation started going up. Otherwise I'd be fucked!

I genuinely feel for anybody who is on a variable rate. It must be terrifying at present!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

The only thing I got right was renewing my fixed rate mortgage which covers all but the last few months of the mortgage term, just before inflation started going up. Otherwise I'd be fucked!

I genuinely feel for anybody who is on a variable rate. It must be terrifying at present!

I've always been on a fixed rate until the last 12 months or so because I'm nearing the end of the mortgage and there is a good chance that I could pay it off early circumstances allowing , as I only owe just over 10 grand but despite it being that low my mortgage has gone up by £30 a month now i can weather that but i really feel for people starting out or coming to the end of a decent fixed rate with the possibility of a hike of say a few hundred or more its fucking frightening and these Tory cunts don't give a toss 

Talking to our young neighbours yesterday and it looks like they will have to put the house up for sale as their original 2 year fixed deal they bought it with is running out, and even with the increased equity they have built up they are still looking at a £300pm increase on top of everything else. Absolute shame, as they are a smashing couple.

6 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I've always been on a fixed rate until the last 12 months or so because I'm nearing the end of the mortgage and there is a good chance that I could pay it off early circumstances allowing , as I only owe just over 10 grand but despite it being that low my mortgage has gone up by £30 a month now i can weather that but i really feel for people starting out or coming to the end of a decent fixed rate with the possibility of a hike of say a few hundred or more its fucking frightening and these Tory cunts don't give a toss 

It's everything else that's killing me. I've said before I'm on a decent wage, I've got a pay rise from next month, and I've just got a nice little bonus (first job I've had for 20 years where you get a bonus, sad that by this time next year we'll be redundant or TUPE'd over to a company who doesn't believe in bonuses unless you're a director).

However, it looks like my energy bills will go up at least £80 a month from next month, the broadband is going up slightly, and with a nice little shive up in inflation (due to veg shortages, gotta love Brexit), we'll still just about cover our bills, food, fuel for the car.

There are 5 in the house and I'm the only one working. My wife is in too much pain to work (but doesn't qualify for PIP), my son is 18 but barely leaves the house due autism and mental health issues, my elder daughter is 16 and in college (bless her she's looking for a part time job but she won't be getting enough to ask her for keep), and my youngest daughter is only 12.

So despite the good wage, the pressure is all on me. And if I'm just about managing I feel desperately for those who can't work, can't find work, or are on shitty wages or contracts - every single day for them must be utter financial hell!

• Upvote 9

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Talking to our young neighbours yesterday and it looks like they will have to put the house up for sale as their original 2 year fixed deal they bought it with is running out, and even with the increased equity they have built up they are still looking at a £300pm increase on top of everything else. Absolute shame, as they are a smashing couple.

Horrible isn't it? It's hard to have a decent life these days unless you've got money backing you from the start.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

Our fixed rate ends in April.  Luckily the mortgage adviser got in touch before Christmas so I had it in mind and we managed to fix again for 5 years in January with an increase of only £60 which we can handle.  I'm more concerned about the gas & electric as I'm only paying £120 for both at present but this finishes in June & I know this is likely to double, if not more,

I do feel for folks trying to get onto the ladder or folks like Sir Roger has mentioned.  Having to sell up due to external factors must be heart breaking. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

It's everything else that's killing me. I've said before I'm on a decent wage, I've got a pay rise from next month, and I've just got a nice little bonus (first job I've had for 20 years where you get a bonus, sad that by this time next year we'll be redundant or TUPE'd over to a company who doesn't believe in bonuses unless you're a director).

However, it looks like my energy bills will go up at least £80 a month from next month, the broadband is going up slightly, and with a nice little shive up in inflation (due to veg shortages, gotta love Brexit), we'll still just about cover our bills, food, fuel for the car.

There are 5 in the house and I'm the only one working. My wife is in too much pain to work (but doesn't qualify for PIP), my son is 18 but barely leaves the house due autism and mental health issues, my elder daughter is 16 and in college (bless her she's looking for a part time job but she won't be getting enough to ask her for keep), and my youngest daughter is only 12.

So despite the good wage, the pressure is all on me. And if I'm just about managing I feel desperately for those who can't work, can't find work, or are on shitty wages or contracts - every single day for them must be utter financial hell!

You’ve got support on here mate.

Keep applying for your missus and your lad as well. Check the Benefits and Work website if you haven’t already. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We just moved so we applied for a mortgage in May last year - which was lucky as interest rates had started creeping up but they hadn't quite gone mental as they did after the TrussTeng budget. If we didn't have the offer sitting on the kitchen table we wouldn't have been able to afford the move, quite frankly, so we're glad to be on a 5 year fixed rate. Fuck knows what we'll do when the wife goes off on maternity leave in the autumn. My salary barely covers the mortgage, council tax and energy bills.

Fully conscious though that I'm comparatively very lucky, so I'm not complaining. The country is utterly broken, whatever the tory cunts say about the economy, none of it is felt by the ordinary working person. I watched that Panorama with Ros Atkins about the complete fall in real terms pay over the past 15 years and there was a family in Cornwall on there who couldn't even afford to change the lightbulb before next payday. The mum's pay was swallowed entirely by bills, the daughter pitched in with her pay to cover what she could of the rest and the son went to school to get fed.

I know it's not news to most of us on here and I'm preaching to the choir, but fucking hell, this is what we are now. A whole swathe of people in the country who are just existing - no joy, no colour to their lives. Just work and struggle. It's not society. It's the return of feudalism by another name.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

You’ve got support on here mate.

Keep applying for your missus and your lad as well. Check the Benefits and Work website if you haven’t already. 

Cheers mate. Like I say I'm better off than most.

The wife gave up on PIP after the the appeal. She was given 0 points which really got to me. If they'd said she gets 4 or 5 points and still rejected the claim, fine it happens. But to give her 0 when I know and see how much pain she's in on a daily basis was a kick in the teeth.

Biggest problem with the lad is stubbornness. I don't know if that's because of the issues he has, but he just won't engage with any form of help as according to him it won't work!

I've given examples of some of the help on offer actually working for me and other members of the family but according to him they wouldn't work for him. I could happily smack him sometimes, but he'd knock the shit out of me!

I just keep going because I know (or at least hope) he'll mature and come round in the end, and as for the money and that, I could be a lot worse off!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Manny said:

A whole swathe of people in the country who are just existing - no joy, no colour to their lives. Just work and struggle.

This is an excellent point. As much as I dislike Blair (and I wasn't overly sold on Brown either), when their governments where in charge I personally at least felt a sense of hope.

A sense that things weren't too bad and could quite easily get better. Since 2010, it's just been fucking bleak, no sense of austerity ever ending, no sense that things will improve for the working class!

42 minutes ago, Manny said:

We just moved so we applied for a mortgage in May last year - which was lucky as interest rates had started creeping up but they hadn't quite gone mental as they did after the TrussTeng budget. If we didn't have the offer sitting on the kitchen table we wouldn't have been able to afford the move, quite frankly, so we're glad to be on a 5 year fixed rate. Fuck knows what we'll do when the wife goes off on maternity leave in the autumn. My salary barely covers the mortgage, council tax and energy bills.

Fully conscious though that I'm comparatively very lucky, so I'm not complaining. The country is utterly broken, whatever the tory cunts say about the economy, none of it is felt by the ordinary working person. I watched that Panorama with Ros Atkins about the complete fall in real terms pay over the past 15 years and there was a family in Cornwall on there who couldn't even afford to change the lightbulb before next payday. The mum's pay was swallowed entirely by bills, the daughter pitched in with her pay to cover what she could of the rest and the son went to school to get fed.

I know it's not news to most of us on here and I'm preaching to the choir, but fucking hell, this is what we are now. A whole swathe of people in the country who are just existing - no joy, no colour to their lives. Just work and struggle. It's not society. It's the return of feudalism by another name.

excellent post.

and the most mind blowing aspect is that a huge chunk of the electorate will vote for them again.

One thing I have learnt from twitter is that there is literally nothing the tories can do,which the doffers will not find a way to defend.