You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Their timewasting antics at Anfield earlier this season were the most egregious I've ever seen in a game involving us. They made Atletico and Simeone look like perennial FIFA Fair Play champions. 

They got what they deserved that evening. 

The irony being if they’d have kept going at us, they’d likely have won the game. 

22 hours ago, DJLJ said:

That snivelling prick Howe is being as handwringing on this as he is on his club's ownership:

I’m going to have to reflect and analyse on that and I’ll make a decision closer to the game in consultation with him, so I’m not 100 per cent sure. It came very much as a shock.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As if the PL will do anything other than put their heads down and put fingers in their ears.

Bit dangerous around Saudis I'd have thought. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As if the PL will do anything other than put their heads down and put fingers in their ears.

Exactly this, another nothing story to fill column inches for the morning, there is no way they'd be removed regardless but as you say the PL will just ignore it as they no doubt know most of the dickheads in parliament will be on the phone to make sure it's swept under the rug ASAP anyway.

35 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

Exactly this, another nothing story to fill column inches for the morning, there is no way they'd be removed regardless but as you say the PL will just ignore it as they no doubt know most of the dickheads in parliament will be on the phone to make sure it's swept under the rug ASAP anyway.

I dunno, the BBC could easily have covered their whole football site this morning with articles about Utd being back and their superb comeback last night.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Probably but the mention of other clubs not being very happy about is quite interesting and unexpected in an article i saw before

Excellent stuff from Barry Glendenning

Barry Glendenning

PIF TIFF

Having spent the best part of 13 years complaining about their club being owned by a famously tyrannical despot who was quite clearly using it to further his own self-serving interests, Newcastle fans were understandably delighted when Mike Ashley finally decided to sell up to a famously tyrannical despot who is quite clearly using it to further his own self-serving interests. When it was quietly pointed out that, for all his many flaws, Ashley had not to the best of anyone’s knowledge ever ordered anyone’s murder and isn’t the leader of a state where mass beheadings, the flagrant abuse of human rights and the daily bombing of innocents abroad are de rigueur, many of those fans pointed out that their club hadn’t actually been bought by Saudi Arabia, but its Public Investment Fund. What’s more, the Premier League had received “legally binding assurances” that the Saudi state would not have control of the club.

And while Football Daily has a handful of magic beans it would like to sell anyone who genuinely believed these assurances to be true, they could at least steer the naysayers in the direction of an interview given by Richard Masters to the BBC around the time of the sale in November 2021, where he said with a commendably straight face that if his organisation found evidence there was Saudi state involvement in the running of the club “we can remove the consortium as owners of the club”.

You can imagine Richard’s surprise when last week, in a legal dispute between golf’s PGA Tour and its Saudi-backed sportswashing counterpart the LIV Tour, PIF argued in a US court that it deserved sovereign immunity because – drum roll – it is indistinguishable from the Saudi state. As Groucho Marx once didn’t quite say: “These are my legally binding assurances but if you don’t like them I have other ones.”

In a document submitted to that same US court yesterday, Newcastle’s chairman, Yasir al-Rumayyan, was described as “a sitting minister of the Saudi government”, a description that raises new and interesting questions over the level of separation any fool knows doesn’t exist between the club’s ownership and the Saudi state. Various other Premier League clubs are reported to have got the collective radge on over the matter, while those busybody buzz-kills at Amnesty International have also had their say.

“It was always stretching credulity to breaking point to imagine that the Saudi state wasn’t directing the buyout of Newcastle with the ultimate aim of using the club as a component in its wider sportswashing efforts,” said Amnesty’s Peter Frankental. “The Premier League will surely need to re-examine the assurances made about the non-involvement of the Saudi authorities in the Newcastle deal, not least as there’s still a Qatari bid for Manchester United currently on the table.” Having had so much to say on the matter when waving through Saudi Arabia’s bid for Newcastle 13 months ago, for now the Premier League and its chief executive are maintaining a throughly undignified silence by choosing not to comment.

10 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I dunno, the BBC could easily have covered their whole football site this morning with articles about Utd being back and their superb comeback last night.

True, did just open it to an article on Broughton claiming state owners are better than private rquity for clubs though, so theyve balanced it out at least.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Seeing Newcastle fans having a go at Amnesty International is nuts. 

How dare Amnesty have the interests of people under an archaic system of rule!??!?! Don't they know the Toon are now part of the Big Seven?   I fucking hate people/football at times. 

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Following in the footsteps of the zionists who attacked Amnesty International and all. Some people just don't like scrutiny that casts them in a bad light. 

5 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

It is but also doesn't shock me, I don't interact/know many Newcastle fans(weird since they are supposedly massive) but the one I do will not hear a word said/joke made against his clubs ownership/club, literally treats anything said as a personal attack and will immediately jump straight to vitriolic personal or stereotype style attacks, that and bring up how no one says/does this with City. 

1 hour ago, Tenfolder said:

It is but also doesn't shock me, I don't interact/know many Newcastle fans(weird since they are supposedly massive) but the one I do will not hear a word said/joke made against his clubs ownership/club, literally treats anything said as a personal attack and will immediately jump straight to vitriolic personal or stereotype style attacks, that and bring up how no one says/does this with City. 

Sportswashing in full effect. I know a lot of Newcastle fans and to be honest most the ones I know are fairly cautious about the owners - they recognise the issues and definitely feel conflicted but they're not overtly critical or taking action so their non-opposition is effectively support.

I know a few who are different though, and they're amongst so many who are now so grateful to the Saudis that they're utterly deferential and as you say, they treat any attack on the ownership as an attack on the club and go out to bat for them all guns blazing - because they're in the full knowledge that their future success entirely rests on the whims of these people.

It's sad to see, ultimately. Supporters vehemently defending individuals they ordinarily would be attacking because they've allowed themselves to be bought with what is ultimately to these owners, petty cash.

• Like 1

Punch up in the posh seats tomorrow?….. 

Oil prices have plummeted after suggestions that the UAE is debating whether to leave the Opec cartel of oil-producing countries.

Such a move would free up the country to lift production and flood the world with oil.

Brent crude nosedived as much as 2.8pc on the day to below $83 a barrel after a report in the Wall Street Journal that the UAE is considering quitting the alliance.

Set up in 1960, Opec is a cartel of 13 oil-rich countries which co-ordinates their production levels.

UAE has said it is sticking to the current Opec deal for at least this year.

It comes amid a growing rift between the leaders of UAE and Saudi Arabia.