You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (Charity Shield - Wembley) 4/8/19

Bjornebye

Just now, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Can't believe how many of you are so blase about the penalty shoot out.

I don't care it's it the Asian cup or Champions league final, I want to win.

Everybody wanted to win, we just aren't equating it to a massive loss so that we can make out that it's more important than it was in order to criticise. 

• Upvote 1

You’re special. We don’t care obviously. On a separate note Guardiola the absolute tit is losing it, fucking fraud.

I think we all wanted to win , but how we played in the game and are fitness-wise for the upcoming season is by far the main thing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I can't believe whoever thought Gini should take one at all, never mind the second, was so blasé about the penalty shoot out.

I don't care if its the Asian cup or Champions league final, I want penalties taken by people who know how to kick a ball 12 yards with a bit of purpose and power.

Can't believe the Lallana one went in either to be honest. 

I prefer Joe alongside Virgil but to be completely honest, we looked a lot more solid at the back when Matip came on and he did score.

Overall, I think city shaded the first half from the off. They looked quicker and more inventive. That said, Mo had two really good chances, one before they scored from the free. Our defending on that free kick was truely shocking and city had 3 attackers nearer the ball than any of our players.

Sterling shinned the ball and I think the lack of pace both deceived Allison and when it hit his foot, didnt have enough momentum to bounce away and instead kind of looped into the air.

We deffo looked stronger when we started to make the subs. I can only think we tried a lot of near post shots if the coaching staff had identified that as Bravos' weaker side, maybe. Naby really should have left Bravo with no chance with his effort.

Looked like Robertson was getting some attention on the ground by a physio at the end of 90 minutes so hope he's ok for Friday. Love Mo but I think he was a bit greedy today. At least he was in the positions to take the shots and on another day, would have had a hattrick. Some days it works out, some you shit the bed.

Trent wasnt at his best either defending, crossing or getting forward. Neither was Robbo who i think had one of his quietest games. City got their tactics spot on there by nullifying both of them.

City are still the team to beat and they will wipe the floor with lots of the 'cant be arsed to turn up' Premier League sides. I think we have to beat them home and away to have a chance to win number 19 because you know shit teams like everton, west ham and a few others will fight like fuck against us but give up when city get their customary early goal.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Always nice to win mate, but pens is a lottery for any side. Hard to give a flying about it when it is in a one off season opener. Lots of positives to take out of the game, being as it is the first game we played in earnest. Next Wednesday is far more important as is the opening league game against Norwich. 

I’m thinking it would be useful if site users could be visibly ranked in terms of how much they care.

That way those of us on a lower plain have a model to work toward and an idea of how far behind our standards are.

Will start a thread on the MF and feed back.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I prefer Joe alongside Virgil but to be completely honest, we looked a lot more solid at the back when Matip came on and he did score.

Overall, I think city shaded the first half from the off. They looked quicker and more inventive. That said, Mo had two really good chances, one before they scored from the free. Our defending on that free kick was truely shocking and city had 3 attackers nearer the ball than any of our players.

Sterling shinned the ball and I think the lack of pace both deceived Allison and when it hit his foot, didnt have enough momentum to bounce away andinstead kind of looped into the air.

We deffo looked stronger when we started to make the subs. I can only think we tried a lot of near post shots if the coaching staff had identified that as Bravos' weaker side, maybe. Naby really should haveleft Bravo with no chance with his effort.

Looked like Robertson was getting some attention on the ground by a physio at the end of 90 minutes so hope he's ok for Friday. Love Mo but I think he was a bit greedy today. At least he was in thepositions to take the shots and on another day, would have had a hattrick. Some days it works out, some you shit the bed.

Trent wasnt at his best either defending, crossing or getting forward. Neither was Robbo who i think had one of his quietest games. City got their tactics spot on there by nullifying both of them.

City are still the team to beat and they will wipe the floor with lots of the 'cant be arsed to turn up' Premier League sides. I think we have to beat them home and away to have a chance to win number 19 because you know shit teams like everton, west ham and a few others will fight like fuck against us but give up when city get their customary early goal.

I think another reason we looked more solid at the back when Matip came on is because Joe was more solid than Trent who was having a poor game by his standards. Plus City had gone into their shell as well by then. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aws said:

Once we stepped it up at half-time we overran them and they needed a combination of great keeping, luck and poor finishing from us to cope. They won the shoot-out but deep down they know we were comfortably better  than them and that is going to gnaw away at them and at Guardiola in particular. 

They dominated the first, we dominated the second. It’s the 4th of August, both teams have had a lot of players back late from the summer. Physical condition far from 100% as preseason training have been very hard. 

Both teams will obviously be good this season as well. But this game definately isn’t a great indication on how good, and both players and managers know that.

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

They dominated the first, we dominated the second. It’s the 4th of August, both teams have had a lot of players back late from the summer. Physical condition far from 100% as preseason training have been very hard. 

Both teams will obviously be good this season as well. But this game definately isn’t a great indication on how good, and both players and managers know that.

Yeah, the level of both teams this time of year isn't really relevant. In the end, we know we'll be near the top and so will they.

What I think can be taken away though, is that we looked hungry. Hungrier than they did. If we stay relatively fit and keep up with their level this season, what will give us the biggest chance of overtaking them is if they get complacent and tired of winning. 

No complaints there. 

Better side over the 90,would win that 9 times out of 10. The flaws are still obviously there. Origi is in no way competent cover for any extended period. Trent form was been fucking woeful both going forward and especially at the back. He's going to get targeted every game till he sorts his shit out. No excuse for the mental and positional errors that have been there all preseason really. 

Poor finishing overall cost us. Why the fuck every shot went near post I'll never know, especially as Mo is great at bending the ball to his left. 

Overall can't complain. 

Don't give two fucks about the community shield, super cup or World club cup. Would be happy to send the kids and squad players to the other two and give the main lads what will be a much needed rest in December. 

Still really think we are lacking wide cover. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, the level of both teams this time of year isn't really relevant. In the end, we know we'll be near the top and so will they.

What I think can be taken away though, is that we looked hungry. Hungrier than they did. If we stay relatively fit and keep up with their level this season, what will give us the biggest chance of overtaking them is if they get complacent and tired of winning. 

Good point about the hunger to win. That’s the difficult part in the first place, to be 100% motivated and ready for every single match. And to do it over again after winning titles is even more difficult. 

10 minutes ago, Thoth said:

I fucking hate those oil money doping cunts 

That's what they want. You're nobody until somebody hates you.

Gaurdiola has been trying to manufacture a false rivalry ever since it was becoming clear we're they're primary threat so he could create some kind of siege mentality.

You know you're in trouble when you're taking management tips from David Moyes. 

In all honesty I'm indifferent to them. They just don't register at all. They're not a big club, nobody beyond that part of Manchester gives a shite. They're a tinpot outfit defined, like Everton, not by the club they are but by the club they're not.

Been the game today.

Thought we were a bit lethargic and lacking in most areas first half - they targeted Trent quite a bit and he looked ropey a couple or so times.

Goal looked scruffy from where we were and nobody close enough.

2nd half though i thought we were really good, urgency was there and we looked hungry and energetic.

What is it with us and goal line clearances v these fuckers as well.....we really could and should have taken another one at least of the good chances we created.

They looked devoid of ideas and other than a breakaway or two when they should have scored we were in control - a much needed work out for those who have not had many minutes in pre season and in the 2nd half an encouraging display.....just a shame we had to lose the shoot out - frustrating that we were better than them and they pick up the spoils.

One thing really noticeable time and time again is how they make those fouls as soon as they lose ball and may be countered - they look for it every time, Fernandinho does it all the time when he plays, and they were at it today.

Decentish atmosphere in our end today as well.

• Upvote 3