You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All hail our new Number 1

Lee909

A 25 year old with zero top flight experience, this willl no doubt get spun as Klopp's choice too, just like he was stubborn and really rated Mignolet, I mean Karius.

Tbf, we'll have spent a lot of money if we get Shaqiri and Fekir and no big sales, although Wijnaldum heading out the door will be purely a financial decision that hurts the squad, again.  So a very expensive goalkeeper was never happening & the likes of Butland would only be a waste of money.

this is Klopp's choice.

It's 100% a financial issue.

Guarentee you if we get mignolet off the books with his stupid fat contract we handed out then we will see a bid go in for a new keeper.

all such issues have a financial element to them.  But to suggest this is 100% financial is hogwash.

• Upvote 1

I read somewhere that Klopp had a poor goalkeeper at Dortmund as well.

Does he just not give a fuck about goalkeepers or something? His decision-making regarding our own goalkeepers is bizarre to the say the least. 

• Upvote 1

this is Klopp's choice.

People keep saying things like this, but the reality is that Klopp is on record telling the players prior to last season that he would take the blame for anything bad, and they could take the glory. Klopp is an excellent manager, but he sees his responsibility as protecting the rest of the club. I wouldn't take any such pronouncements as gospel.

• Upvote 1

The whole GK situation is beyond a joke. How has a club this size allowed itself to be left with three bang average GK's?

We've left ourselves in a right pickle now. I can understand our unwillingness to pay £70m for a GK who quite frankly doesn't look all that, but if we go into this season sticking with what we've got, we can forget about winning any major honours in my opinion. And come next summer we could have massive problems keeping hold of our star players as well. It really is that serious an issue. Bordering on gross negalgence by the club if they don't do something to fix this issue before the window shuts. And it has the potential to put unneeded pressure onto our manager who I actually like a lot.

What is there to assess? He's had 18 months to look at Danny Ward and even longer to look at Karius and Mignolet. If Ward had been any good, surely he'd already have staked his claim as our number one by now no?

He's realised that at least we can use the 'Daddy Cool' chant for Danny Ward.

Mignolet and Karius are unworkable names in terms of chants and songs.

• Upvote 1

People keep saying things like this, but the reality is that Klopp is on record telling the players prior to last season that he would take the blame for anything bad, and they could take the glory. Klopp is an excellent manager, but he sees his responsibility as protecting the rest of the club. I wouldn't take any such pronouncements as gospel.

I don't.  I'm using my judgement and experience.

He's realised that at least we can use the 'Daddy Cool' chant for Danny Ward.

Mignolet and Karius are unworkable names in terms of chants and songs.

Oh Danny Ward, mistakes, mistakes are calling

From game to game and puff, the title's gone

• Upvote 4

I think we should look to get Heaton in as a stopgap if Grabara is really as talented as the hype. Arguably second best goalie in the league season before last. Got a bad injury and not guaranteed a starting spot given Pope’s outstanding season. A moneyball signing if I’ve ever seen one. Sell both Karius and Mig, and promote Ward as our second choice.

Stick to destroying people's lives through finance. Leave football alone.

• Upvote 1

Promoting Danny Ward on the grounds that "at least he's not Karius/Mignolet, HAS to be better than them!" reminds me a lot of the logic when Rodgers put Brad Jones in goal after a few Mignolet howlers. Or was it Bogdan?

Both, actually. I think (hope) Ward is a few levels above those lads, although brad Jones has carved himself out a decent career in the Netherlands.