You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

6 hours ago, aws said:

I was reading about that earlier and thinking something earlier. Would need rule changes but how about:

reversing a throw in or free kick if you take too long taking it

drop ball if the keeper takes too long for a goal kick or clearance

double time added on generally for time wasting

30 seconds added on for every yellow card. 

At the moment time wasting comes under unsporting conduct and is only a technical offence punished by a card. Technical offences are also only punished by indirect free kicks too. This wont happen,in my view. Also,it is getting difficult to complain about time wasting when those awful VAR reviews are taking minutes at a time. Very hypocritical.

We should be leery of bringing ideas from rugby union into football imo. It's a very stop start game with a ton of very difficult to follow rules that are interpreted very differently between referees even at the top level. Watching a southern hemisphere game is almost like watching a different sport compared to a Six Nations game, the styles of play and refereeing are so different.

I used to watch a fair bit of rugby and half the time I'd have no idea what the ref had given a decision for. I actually played the game until I was fifteen and I would still have no clue.

• 4 weeks later...

VAR is still shit.

Biggest vessel for corruption and engineering of results in my lifetime of watching sports.

Granted we weren't great yesterday, but that refereeing performance was similar to a few of the raw deals we got at Old Trafford in the 90s/00s

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, lebron said:

VAR is still shit.

Biggest vessel for corruption and engineering of results in my lifetime of watching sports.

Granted we weren't great yesterday, but that refereeing performance was similar to a few of the raw deals we got at Old Trafford in the 90s/00s

Football is a low scoring game. VAR had 3 big decisions to make yesterday. The offside for the goal (which looks offside), the hand ball (which all the ex-refs who normally back the refs said it was handball) and their pen, which is against how they've been refereeing games this season and points to Oliver awarding a pen based on the scream and roll on the floor of Jesus. The whole fucking point of VAR is to get the big decisions right, which seems pretty far from what's happening. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Football is a low scoring game. VAR had 3 big decisions to make yesterday. The offside for the goal (which looks offside), the hand ball (which all the ex-refs who normally back the refs said it was handball) and their pen, which is against how they've been refereeing games this season and points to Oliver awarding a pen based on the scream and roll on the floor of Jesus. The whole fucking point of VAR is to get the big decisions right, which seems pretty far from what's happening. 

Football has somehow gone from one man fucking up big calls to a whole team fucking up big calls. 

If what happened against Arsenal had happened in any other sport, it will get investigated for corruption/betting.

29 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Football has somehow gone from one man fucking up big calls to a whole team fucking up big calls. 

If what happened against Arsenal had happened in any other sport, it will get investigated for corruption/betting.

The other problem is though with the way linos are encouraged to keep their flag down, it's very possible the lino thinks "fuck it, it's close I'll let var sort it out", where as in the past before var he'd have had to make a real decision. There's every chance with no VAR Saka is flagged offside there before it gets chance for the ball to go in the net. 

55 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The other problem is though with the way linos are encouraged to keep their flag down, it's very possible the lino thinks "fuck it, it's close I'll let var sort it out", where as in the past before var he'd have had to make a real decision. There's every chance with no VAR Saka is flagged offside there before it gets chance for the ball to go in the net. 

Yep. That is exactly what the lino would have thought this time, they have an easy get out of jail card. VAR was implemented in the most nonsensical way possible and they kept fucking it up saying they are improving it. The drawing of lines should have never come in place - the whole thing is for clear & obvious error so how the fuck drawing a line to see if a player's penis in offside position can be classified as clear & obvious error. These things make the linos earn their money easily these days because they can just leave to VAR and let VAR take the blame. 

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Yep. That is exactly what the lino would have thought this time, they have an easy get out of jail card. VAR was implemented in the most nonsensical way possible and they kept fucking it up saying they are improving it. The drawing of lines should have never come in place - the whole thing is for clear & obvious error so how the fuck drawing a line to see if a player's penis in offside position can be classified as clear & obvious error. These things make the linos earn their money easily these days because they can just leave to VAR and let VAR take the blame. 

The funny thing too is when you look at that image, your reaction is it's offside. But I think pre-var we'd have all thought it was level enough to be on. Same with that handball. Under today's rules and var it should be a pen every time. The fact it's not is a failure of var. The people who argue that it's too close to be handball are applying laws that don't exist any more. VAR is changing now the game is played and refereed. It should be making these subjective decisions easy to get right. If it's not (and it's clearly not), what's the fucking point of it all? All anyone wants is a level playing field where decisions are given consistently across the league. 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The funny thing too is when you look at that image, your reaction is it's offside. But I think pre-var we'd have all thought it was level enough to be on. Same with that handball. Under today's rules and var it should be a pen every time. The fact it's not is a failure of var. The people who argue that it's too close to be handball are applying laws that don't exist any more. VAR is changing now the game is played and refereed. It should be making these subjective decisions easy to get right. If it's not (and it's clearly not), what's the fucking point of it all? All anyone wants is a level playing field where decisions are given consistently across the league. 

It is just fundamentally fucking wrong. In a single game, lino leaves the offside decision to VAR. VAR then relied on the referee's decisions for the 2 pens. Who is accountable here? The whole thing is fucked up with no one taking accountability and every single one of them making a fucking living out of it. 

In just a few days time the pen we didn't get...similar one will result in a pen awarded to someone else (wouldn't be surprised if its City this weekend) and the pen they got would be waved away or get dismissed by VAR. Its just fucked up with absolutely no roadmap for change or improvement. 

To top all of it, Howard fucking Webb is supposed to be taking charge soon. Don't know why we bother watching the game anymore. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
48 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Premier League video assistant referee chief Neil Swarbrick is to leave his role at the end of the season.

Swarbrick moved on to lead video assistant referee duties after his on-field career came to an end in 2018.

The 57-year-old has spearheaded VAR's implementation in the top flight.

Goodbye Neil and thanks for your part in completely ruining Football.

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

it's here to stay unfortunately. hopefully next season they will at least adopt the technology that takes drawing lines for offside out of the hands of these cunts. 

That's good, I didn't know that. 

Manually drawing lines opens up every bit of possibility of corruption and fucking the team that the ref doesn't like. Imagine Taylor or Tierney being in charge for drawing lines for a few of our goals. No fucking chance we will have any of those in our favour. 

45 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

it's here to stay unfortunately. hopefully next season they will at least adopt the technology that takes drawing lines for offside out of the hands of these cunts. 

Do you know if they are enhancing the frame-rate for this change ?

• Upvote 1

On 01/06/2023 at 23:02, Mook said:

Four years since we last enjoyed a (major) Liverpool game without this Americanised shite.

Get it to fuck.

"Americanised" is an interesting description.

American sports are stop-start and have lengthy stoppages built into their formats.  (I once went to watch the Mets play in New York, and the place emptied part way through the match as the last train to Manhattan was leaving - the train station is at the stadium).

Football has never been like that.  I say gib it off for offsides.  Those lines are ludicrous.  The video frames-per-second rate between a boot making contact with a ball being chipped and leaving the boot means that much depends on when the VAR presses "pause" to draw the line. 14 frames-per-second video can have an attacker onside with the passer "in contact" with the ball or offside with the passer "in contact" with the ball.

Schrodinger's Throughball.

In fact, gib it off for anything other than a glaring error.  

Give the ref / lino back their authority.  

Get the game flowing again, and then we can legitimately punish timewasting which is more of a plague on the game than a big toe playing a striker onside.

• Upvote 1

On 01/06/2023 at 12:02, Mook said:

Four years since we last enjoyed a (major) Liverpool game without this Americanised shite.

Get it to fuck.

I never enjoyed getting perfectly good goals ruled out or conceding to players who were miles offside.

It needs improving, not binning.