You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

Made up for him getting that goal last night, just concerned that other than this, he was awful with the ball again. How can a player get to this level and struggle to play a simple pass to a teammate.

Hope hes settled in now and starts to kicks on, but I’ve still no idea where he’s gonna fit into this team.

Apart from a half decent finish last night against a team that was already thrashed I didn't see an awful lot to like if I'm honest,  Some woeful touches, 

I am really struggling to see where he will fit in given a central role is probably his best,  On the evidence of last night Milner has more of a claim than AOC. 

The problem Chamberlain has got, is that Klopp's system requires a certain type of winger and he's the polar opposite. Salah's strength is his off the ball movement, his perfectly timed runs, first touch and intelligence.

Salah doesn't expect the ball to be played to feet, he expects it to be played into the space he's running into. Chamberlain on the other hand has always been coached to expect the ball to feet. He's got the standard English mentality of hugging the touchline, beating a man for pace - or a bit of trickery, and then whipping a cross into the box. He's learning an entirely new way of playing.

• Upvote 1

The problem Chamberlain has got, is that Klopp's system requires a certain type of winger and he's the polar opposite. Salah's strength is his off the ball movement, his perfectly timed runs, first touch and intelligence.

Salah doesn't expect the ball to be played to feet, he expects it to be played into the space he's running into. Chamberlain on the other hand has always been coached to expect the ball to feet. He's got the standard English mentality of hugging the touchline, beating a man for pace - or a bit of trickery, and then whipping a cross into the box. He's learning an entirely new way of playing.

That ball into feet merchant, standard English, one dimensional player loving, coach Arsene Wenger.

No player in the world is as one dimensional as the player you described above. If it is a way of defending him or asking to give him time it was an odd one because it didn't do an accurate job of it. He wants to be a midfielder but Klopp is happy to use him out wide for the time being because it's less complicated out there.

Last night he scored breaking through the centre of the pitch anticipating a ball player in front of him and also had another shot to the right of the goal. He goes wide just like Salah and hugs the touch line to stretch the play and there's no shame in that but even just last night showed that's hardly just his game. He's lacking confidence and it's showing in his passing and touch but he's proved in the past that it is there.

Klopp' system isn't set in any specific manner or type of player. He has all kinds of players playing in all kinds of different positions. The fact that Chamberlain is a different type of player to both Mane and Salah is a positive more than anything and I think one that Klopp will be happy with.

• Upvote 1

And you only had to wait since the end of the summer window until mid October to post how right you were whilst ignoring all evidence to the contrary!

I'm not claiming to be "right".  I have an open mind when it comes to the Ox and how he'll perform.  It was just a little dig at all the Oxperts who claim to have watched every minute of his time at Arsenal and decided he won't make it here.  

• Upvote 2

That ball into feet merchant, standard English, one dimensional player loving, coach Arsene Wenger.

No player in the world is as one dimensional as the player you described above. If it is a way of defending him or asking to give him time it was an odd one because it didn't do an accurate job of it. He wants to be a midfielder but Klopp is happy to use him out wide for the time being because it's less complicated out there.

Last night he scored breaking through the centre of the pitch anticipating a ball player in front of him and also had another shot to the right of the goal. He goes wide just like Salah and hugs the touch line to stretch the play and there's no shame in that but even just last night showed that's hardly just his game. He's lacking confidence and it's showing in his passing and touch but he's proved in the past that it is there.

Klopp' system isn't set in any specific manner or type of player. He has all kinds of players playing in all kinds of different positions. The fact that Chamberlain is a different type of player to both Mane and Salah is a positive more than anything and I think one that Klopp will be happy with.

I'm just telling you how he plays as a winger, whatever assumptions you want to add on top are your own, stop attributing them to me - ie calling him one dimensional or suggesting i'm defending him.

This is Chamberlains own words by the way, not mine. He said he's been taught to play ball to feet and prefers it. He has said repeatedly since he's arrived he's trying to acclimatise to a completely different style of play. A style of play where he plays more on the inside and makes runs off the ball.