You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

iphone cases. Why?

Anny Road

My boss has just made me convert to the dark side and insisted I have an iphone.

That is bad enough but it came with some 3 quid plastic sleeve case thing which apparently I have to use or I am liable for phone damage,

Needless to say the case is n the bin and the phone itself is fine and small and I have no idea how to send a text.

Point is why would people put shitty 3 quid plastic cases on an item which has obviously had millions spend on R&D and more importantly why should it need one?

I've said that about apple for years. And now a lot of androids too. Glass backs that shatter at a glance. Nice matt aluminium that scratches off air. Fucking pointless picking any phone for 'looks' these days (for me anyway) as the first thing I do is stick a decent rubber cover on them to protect them.

• Upvote 2

I loved the look of my phone and didnt want it sullied by a shitty case and then I dropped it getting out of the car, denting the top corner which dislodged the screen and the thing had to be replaced. I've got a shitty case thing for it now. Those plastic screen savery things are a step too far though

I agree it's shit. But it's resale value is dramatically lower with damage. They are £600 ish new, so if they buy it out right and want to sell them in a year or two, then a 3quid case makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, I never case mine and its scratched on the metal by coins and keys. Also had a broken screen last week. But a mint version of mine would easily sell for a load more than mine.

• Upvote 2

I've always kept mine in a leather wallet style case. Keeps it from getting scratched by keys or anything in your pocket. Got an upgrade to the iPhone 6 two weeks ago, it's loads bigger and on a cheaper contract. Ace. The first thing I did was go out and buy a new case. The second thing I did was lose all function in one arm meaning the bigger screen is nothing but a pain in the fucking arse.

• Upvote 3

I used to be anti-cases too.

Always thought that they detracted from the look of the phone.

However, I dropped my iPhone and it was totally fucked. That didn't teach me when I got a replacement Sony Z3. Dropped it once, requiring a screen replacement, and then caught my foot on the wire when it was charging and sent it flying into my laptop, meaning the replacement screen was goosed too.

So, after having a 3rd phone in the space of about 7 months (Samsung Galaxy S6 - thought the Sony was a terrible phone), I got a leather case for it. It's a padded one, but fairly smart looking. Going forward, I'm definitely buying a case for any future phones. Keeps the phone cleaner, prevents little scratches etc. My phone looks practically in mint condition about 6 months after having it. That's despite a few minor drops too.

• Downvote 1

Fuck smartphones, they help propagate the cancer that is social media.

No-one needs to access the internet 24/7.

It's all about my old samsung that can hold a charge for a week, can be used while wearing gloves and can be used in the rain.

Also it is less than half the size of my old smartphone.

Has been dropped countless times and has been sat on. Yet still soldiers on. 

It's like we've gone full circle from large phones with no battery life and easy to break, to small phones with long lasting batteries and hard to break, back to large phones with no battery life and easy to break.

Cunt smartphones.

• Upvote 1

Can't stand any cunt with these touchy screen phones, little finger in the air like they're sipping on a scooner of sherry - look at me, I can unlock mine with one swipe and I don't need to take my finger off the screen. Dickhead. You're fourty fucking seven, fuck off and have a mid life crisis or get piles you massive fucking tithead. And then there is the other shitehawks with one ear piece in their ear, poncing around town, having the sound track of their life - Mumford and Sons no doubt you crass twat - booming in their ear, pony tail on their head the size of Lina Zavaroni's left tit, perched on their head a beard like demmis rousos sack, looking a twat, fingering their phone, thinking I'm such a metro sexual kett head wonnabe, I should get a phone cover. Dickhead.

• Upvote 4

Can't stand any cunt with these touchy screen phones, little finger in the air like they're sipping on a scooner of sherry - look at me, I can unlock mine with one swipe and I don't need to take my finger off the screen. Dickhead. You're fourty fucking seven, fuck off and have a mid life crisis or get piles you massive fucking tithead. And then there is the other shitehawks with one ear piece in their ear, poncing around town, having the sound track of their life - Mumford and Sons no doubt you crass twat - booming in their ear, pony tail on their head the size of Lina Zavaroni's left tit, perched on their head a beard like demmis rousos sack, looking a twat, fingering their phone, thinking I'm such a metro sexual kett head wonnabe, I should get a phone cover. Dickhead.

Quality rant, sir.

I used to be anti-cases too.

Always thought that they detracted from the look of the phone.

However, I dropped my iPhone and it was totally fucked. That didn't teach me when I got a replacement Sony Z3. Dropped it once, requiring a screen replacement, and then caught my foot on the wire when it was charging and sent it flying into my laptop, meaning the replacement screen was goosed too.

So, after having a 3rd phone in the space of about 7 months (Samsung Galaxy S6 - thought the Sony was a terrible phone), I got a leather case for it. It's a padded one, but fairly smart looking. Going forward, I'm definitely buying a case for any future phones. Keeps the phone cleaner, prevents little scratches etc. My phone looks practically in mint condition about 6 months after having it. That's despite a few minor drops too.

Negged for 'going forward'

• Upvote 2