You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

Totally agree but the 49 million was the best sting operation since Redford and Newman, even better than when the Roman mafioso got stung for Torres. It was fiscal ineptitude Ian Ayres would be proud of.

Hardly.  Torres was finished.   Sterling is a decent but nowhere near top class player worth half of the fee at best.

Either way, we managed to piss the guts of it up the wall again anyway.

I actually did an Arsenal and rounded up. 49 - 9.8 sell on fee - 32.5 million = 6.7.

But then add on the incoming player was on triple the outgoing players wages. After year 1 not much left for a European jolly for Ayre on the prowl.

I thought we got £44m and the add-ons were £5m (which could even be ballon d'or wins or something daft that we'll never see). Deduct QPR's 20% sell-on = £35.2m

So Benteke plus £2.7m. Another corking fuck-up that one.

• Upvote 1

He's half a top quality footballer - brilliant close control and balance but dreadful execution when he needs to shoot.

The magic beans - or fourth choice striker - that we spent much of the £49m on gives the schadenfreude a hollowness, though.

I thought we got £44m and the add-ons were £5m (which could even be ballon d'or wins or something daft that we'll never see). Deduct QPR's 20% sell-on = £35.2m

So Benteke plus £2.7m. Another corking fuck-up that one.

Not to be pedantic mate, but I believe QPR's sell-on fee was 20% of any profit we made on him overall. Our original purchase of him also had add-ons, which all became payable during his time here, so it wouldn't be 20% of the total fee we ended up receiving. Think we owe them more like £9M. (Imagine how exciting life is for my girlfriend, eh?)

Agree with the point though. The likelihood of us signing someone with even less upside than Sterling, who suits the way we play less, for most of the fee we received, was of course always high.

In addition, I get that we've lost far better players in the past, that was how we dropped from 2nd to 6th, for example. But then selling one of the best performing players in that 6th placed team is only going to see you become more mediocre, at least in the short-term; especially when your recruitment is a standing joke.

In the end there was no other choice really; who wanted him to stay after the various shite sent the club's way, or would be happy to have that fat wart hanging round the place shouting the odds? Thought at the time the £100k a week he supposedly wanted would look routine for the division within no time due to the new TV deal though, and still do.

Not to be pedantic mate, but I believe QPR's sell-on fee was 20% of any profit we made on him overall. Our original purchase of him also had add-ons, which all became payable during his time here, so it wouldn't be 20% of the total fee we ended up receiving. Think we owe them more like £9M. (Imagine how exciting life is for my girlfriend, eh?)

Agree with the point though. The likelihood of us signing someone with even less upside than Sterling, who suits the way we play less, for most of the fee we received, was of course always high.

In addition, I get that we've lost far better players in the past, that was how we dropped from 2nd to 6th, for example. But then selling one of the best performing players in that 6th placed team is only going to see you become more mediocre, at least in the short-term; especially when your recruitment is a standing joke.

In the end there was no other choice really; who wanted him to stay after the various shite sent the club's way, or would be happy to have that fat wart hanging round the place shouting the odds? Thought at the time the £100k a week he supposedly wanted would look routine for the division within no time due to the new TV deal though, and still do.

Ah, I see. It wouldn't be the first time I've talked a bunch of absolute bollocks on here.

Sterling may yet kick on and have the last laugh. In the meantime, in his first season at Man City he is earning far more than he earned at Liverpool, and far more than we offered him when we tried to get him to sign a new deal. He has already won his first trophy, he has been competing in the Champions League and still fights on in that, and while they are having a wobble in the Premier League, they are still better placed for a top four finish than we are. They also have a deal to bring the most coveted manager in world football to their club in the summer (not that I'm unhappy with Klopp - he's a perfect fit for us).

I can't stand Sterling. Along with his agent they showcase so much of what is wrong with modern football. As things stand he is a player with a lot of flaws. Man City overpaid for potential, but with their bank balance they will struggle to pay a reasonable price for any player.

Sterling will be at a crossroads for a couple of years. If he kicks on he could become a very good player indeed. Equally, Guardiola might prefer more accomplished stars and Sterling may kick his heels on the bench. If too much of that happens, he will move on.

In the meantime, given all the work we have to do to try to catch up, I find it difficult to laugh too hard at him. Mind you, every time he scuffs the ball I'd be lying if I said I didn't think, "£49M for that?"

• Upvote 1

Obviously don't miss him and didn't really care when he left, but he'll develop into a fine player under Pep and would have under Klopp too.

He might never be a 15 goal a season player, but I'd say shooting is the only weak point to his game. It's easy to dislike him after all that went on but it's also easy to forget he was pretty much our only threat at points last season at 20 years of age and the season before he didn't look out of place up there with one of the world's best players.

It doesn't really matter though. He could go onto be a world class player and not many Liverpool fans will lose sleep. Most never really took to him in the first place so it's hard to miss someone like that however good they might get.

• Upvote 1

I wanted to keep him as he's obviously going to be a good player but when you're offered £50m for a player that age who is inconsistent then you have to take it. When he's bad, he is really bad and he can't finish his dinner. 

I wanted to keep him as he's obviously going to be a good player but when you're offered £50m for a player that age who is inconsistent then you have to take it. When he's bad, he is really bad and he can't finish his dinner. 

Sorry Robbie but it's not obvious to me at all, all I see is a twat that's massively shit but dead fast.

Like gastroenteritis.

• Upvote 2

Sorry Robbie but it's not obvious to me at all, all I see is a twat that's massively shit but dead fast.

Like gastroenteritis.

You don't play over 100 times for Liverpool and Man City before your 20's if you haven't got something about you. 

• Upvote 1

Yup, >10 goals 3 seasons running now, despite his atrocious finishing. He'll go on to be a better player than anyone we've currently got on our books. The Shaun Wright Phillips/Aaron Lennon/ Other short black player comparisons are downright laughable, he's already twice the player any of that lot were in their prime.

For all the crap he gets on here, he'd still walk into our team at the moment, but hey, he's got a shit haircut & we got Bentekkers + 10 million quid, so we'll have the last laugh eh? 

• Upvote 1