You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harvard-lectures-and-diversity-training-its-wayne-rooney-but-not-as-you-know-him-ph3wtj39l

He is being creative too. “A lot of the market is South America and we’ve done a deal with Football Manager [the computer game] where we give them some advertising and they give us access to the scouts — 11 or 12 of them — they use in different places across the world to help them create the game. José Mourinho [a confirmed Football Manager player] has done something similar in the past.”

Rooney has just completed his Pro Licence with the FA, which meant attending seminars by video link at 6am DC time. His presentation was on the differences between the English and MLS transfer systems. The biggest of which relates to the Discovery List. The what? I ask.

“You don’t know about ‘discovery’ players? OK, take Erling Haaland. We could put Haaland on our ‘Discovery List’ and it means that if he ever came to the MLS but let’s say wanted to play for one of the LA teams and not us, the LA team would have to pay Man City — and us. Because we’ve “discovered” him! It’s crazy. But if you’re clever, you can make money. Last year when Jesse Lingard signed for a year with [Nottingham] Forest we put him on our Discovery List because you thought there’s every chance that after a year at Forest he’ll want to come to the US and that would mean we could sign him or get money for him.”

• 2 weeks later...

Helen fucking Skelton on 5 Live this morning. In her stupid excitey voice:

"So it's man city v arsenal in the community shield today and on the line we have arsenal fan and blogger [John Smith]. So John, how are the nerves? " 

Nerves? It's the charity shield you stupid bint not the fucking European Cup final. 

Jesus christ. 

I used to love first game of the season day and always got a real buzz out of it and then getting home to see MoTD and predict with certainty what the next nine months would bring.

This nonsesnse with Friday being the first game, or curtain raiser as they're trying to rebrand it, and then games being played at all times over the weekend.

First and last game should be sacrosanct, Saturady at 3pm, anything else can fuck off.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I used to love first game of the season day and always got a real buzz out of it and then getting home to see MoTD and predict with certainty what the next nine months would bring.

This nonsesnse with Friday being the first game, or curtain raiser as they're trying to rebrand it, and then games being played at all times over the weekend.

First and last game should be sacrosanct, Saturady at 3pm, anything else can fuck off.

There would be no footy on telly if they all kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday.

7 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Agree with that about the first and last games, but I still enjoyed singing "Liverpool, Liverpool, Top of the League" 7 minutes into the 2019/20 season.

11 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The word "moment". Klopp uses it as do a lot of other foreign coaches. "In zis moment". It irritates me a little but I've just heard the English Rangers manager say "we're creating good moments". Get to fuck. Nobhead. 

Yes, that's annoying me at this moment in time as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/11/argentina-cracks-down-on-football-fans-who-tear-up-money/

Visiting foreign football fans who mock Argentina’s crippling inflation crisis by burning banknotes will be punished with up to 30 days in prison.

Fans from neighbouring South American countries – primarily Brazil and Chile – have been burning and ripping up peso bills to taunt home teams about the value of the Argentinian currency.

Argentina’s inflation rate soared past 115 per cent last quarter, making it the world’s third highest, while the poverty rate stands at 42 per cent. More than half of all children live below the poverty line.

The country has also seen a dramatic fall in its exchange rate. In February, the central bank introduced a new 2,000-peso note after the value of the 1,000-peso note, previously the largest bill, fell to just $2.70 (£2.13) on the alternative markets.

“This is a genuine social catastrophe for a country that used to be a predominantly middle-class society,” Dr Julio Montero, a researcher for National Research Council of Argentina, told The Telegraph.

Foreign fans caught tearing up a peso bill will now face up to 30 days in prison.

A video posted on Twitter on Wednesday night shows Corinthians fans, from São Paulo, burning bills and making offensive gestures.

On 11/08/2023 at 15:42, Redder Lurtz said:

The word "moment". Klopp uses it as do a lot of other foreign coaches. "In zis moment". It irritates me a little but I've just heard the English Rangers manager say "we're creating good moments". Get to fuck. Nobhead. 

Don’t know if Klopp was trying to bait you, but he must have said it 7 times in the Sky interview.

25 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Don’t know if Klopp was trying to bait you, but he must have said it 7 times in the Sky interview.

He does it all the time. It's barely acceptable for someone who speaks as excellent English as him but it's begun to rub off onto native brits which is pathetic. Neville said it a couple of times in today's game. The stupid manc cunt. 

On 11/08/2023 at 15:42, Redder Lurtz said:

What is your word of 'overuse' in German?

10 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

He does it all the time. It's barely acceptable for someone who speaks as excellent English as him but it's begun to rub off onto native brits which is pathetic. Neville said it a couple of times in today's game. The stupid manc cunt. 

So, like, maybe he’s,like, not in the best place, like, but he deserves to be, like, the best version of himself, because he’s, like, on a journey.( Couldn’t quite shoehorn ‘lived experience’ in there).