You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter coats and jackets

Mike D

Every year I toy with the idea of buying a ridiculously priced down-filled arctic parka; browsing sites, checking reviews, the fitting guides, looking for sales.

Then, come March, I'm always glad I didn't spunk all that cash as there have only been about three properly cold days, and I was inside for at least two of them. 

I still want one though, so I can pretend to be Kurt Russell in The Thing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

You don't need a big parka if you live in the UK. I'm always amazed seeing people wear Canada Goose type stuff in England. Like, this shit is made for -20 celsius, not rainy 4 degree days. Save your money. 

This is exactly right.

I own one of those parkas, cost about £300 and it's unbelievable when it's -50. Never even put it on until it gets at least -25. They're made for dry cold; it would be a total waste for anyone living in England.

• Upvote 1

I nearly spunked £340 on a Fjallraven Parka last year. I asked the shop guy if it was waterproof and he said 'No, but you can buy this wax for £20 and wax it yourself, which will only make it water-repelling'. Fuck that. The first thing a winter coat needs to do in this country is keep you dry. Because if it isn't raining, it soon will be.  

• Upvote 1

It’s -30°C with the windchill here. No need for one of those fucking duvets with arms. I’m not trekking to the North Pole. 

Most of the time I don’t even wear a coat oot and aboot. 

If I’m off for a long drive, I’ll chuck the ski jacket on the back seat in case of emergency, that’s it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is exactly right.

I own one of those parkas, cost about £300 and it's unbelievable when it's -50. Never even put it on until it gets at least -25. They're made for dry cold; it would be a total waste for anyone living in England.

Should people not just wear clothes/coats that they feel happy with? Everyone has different body temperatures & some people carry more weight than others.

Personally, I live in Scotland, I do not like being cold & wouldn't be without my big parka between November & March.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Don't think anyone's had much use out of their winter clothing this year. I wore my Lord Anthony once to the chippy and that was it; away it goes for another year.

I think I've worn my big coat more this winter than any other going back at least 20 years. Hasn't been much snow but it's got down to -7 a few times and there's been several days it's been hovering around 0 

Great to get out and enjoy the crisp winter weather

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I got this last year for half price for 65 quid from TK Maxx and I love it. It's warm because it's blag down but still looks quite smart. Joules apparently, I'd never heard of them but I believe it's middle class mum school gates clothing of choice.

003709694alt5.jpg

I got one like that from Asda for about 15 quid. I hardly wear it though.

15 hours ago, Mook said:

Should people not just wear clothes/coats that they feel happy with? Everyone has different body temperatures & some people carry more weight than others.

Personally, I live in Scotland, I do not like being cold & wouldn't be without my big parka between November & March.

Of course, you wear whatever you like. I'm only talking about functionality.

Scotland I'm not sure, but in England for sure with the humidity levels then functionally I'd suggest a warm down vest and a good weatherproof outer layer. Wool, ideally, or something synthetic with a bit of insulation. It will be cheaper and keep you warmer than a down parka.

I had lived in Siberia for a few years freezing my bollocks off trying to keep my hands from getting frostbite when a Canadian introduced me to the concept of vests to keep your hands warm. I thought he was daft until he explained how your body restricts bloodflow to your extremities when your core is cold - keep your core warm, your hands/ears/nose won't freeze. I tried it and never looked back.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Mook said:

That is really interesting but I can't help thinking that if I was in Siberia, I would be wearing both a vest & gloves.

I mean, yeah, obviously. I had these down mittens that were about 80 quid but they were unbelievable!

But again, in England you probably don't need them.

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Get yourself a proper peacoat

95859d_f6332cd0c3f54f86b37c7c915371c677.

Hard to come by except for Schott and the sizing is too hard to gauge when you're buying online, Schott do European stuff and it's completely different from the American stuff by all accounts. 

I tried a belstaff one on ages ago and it was as nice as you'd imagine but was about 650 quid, can't justify it given that my weight changes so often it'll be in the loft in six weeks.