You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen

Gnasher

Allen is an ok player. Currently better than Lucas but far too weak for a DM.

Is doing a good job as a simple box to box player,alongside Henderson who does similar but with more power.

The problem in the midfield at present is the DM. Gerrard is out of form and the DMs poor form highlights the problems behind.

To sum up,Joe Allen is decent but not the whole answer to our woes.

I really like Can,still doesnt look like a DM,but I am worried he is another who is a bit injury prone.

We are definitely light in midfield - we certainly don't have a top quality midfielder in our ranks any more, and we will struggle if we don't have all of our key players available.

Thinking back to the days of Mascherano, Xabi and a young Gerrard makes me want to cry. We've been shopping in the bargain bin for too long, but unfortunately, none of them cost bargain prices.

I think Rodgers come into this season with the idea to revert back to his favoured 433, his signings of Lallana & Lazar backed this up. Thats why the signing of Ballotelli was so puzzling, he's not gonna sit on the bench & not sulk & he can't play on his own up there. So to accommodate him, we're playing the diamond. Which totally negates the signings of Lazar AND Lallana, as Sterling is the man for that. 1 of them, yes, but not 2. We have 4 players competing for 1 spot behind the strikers whilst our Midfield is totally shit & has 10m invested in it. The money we have spent & we have nearly 50m sitting on the fucking bench whilst Lucas starts & Gerrard plays his 3rd game in a week. I like Rodgers but that is mismanagement, mismanagement of resources & mismanagement of Gerrard. Gerrards age + Allen's injury record + Champs League & we buy 1 CM.

• Upvote 1

I think Allen brings a lot to the party, as a combination type player - that is, as a holding mid with attacking qualities, to be played ahead of Gerrard (or Lucas if Gerrard is injured) and he (Allen) should be rotated with any other similar player on an in-form basis: be it Henderson or Sterling or whether, tactically we are playing a single or double strike.

Allen had some great games last season when allowed to roam and mix it up with our other attacking players. The game against Spurs at WHL comes to mind - I think Gerrard and Sturridge from memory, were both injured, and Allen came into his own.

• 2 weeks later...