You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grasping Borini's puzzling decision (ESPN article)

tlw content

It seems like he believes in his ability and maybe he feels that this could be his last chance at a club this size, so he's rejected the cash and decided to give it one more try. If that's the case and it works out, genius on his part. I've often thought he was too lightweight and nervous, maybe this determination to stay and the knowledge that he'll probably have to go soon if he doesn't do well, might make him more focused if he has chances with us this season.

Am neutral to him to be honest. I've never thought he was good enough watching him, but I also have the impression that there's a lot more to his game if he can focus enough.

Borini was hawked from club to club in Italy in a shameless manner making money for everyone with an obvious talent that was rarely given a chance to shine.

Rumours persist that his move here was not a Rodgers buy, but part of a sweetheart deal with Dibenedetto in an FSG old boys arrangement.The numbers suggest that may be true.

I think that Borini still sees himself as an elite player and would rather run down his contract, and take his chances, here, and cash in on a Bosman back to Italy, than risk relegation, and another forced move at QPR or Sunderland. I can understand that.

His prospects here are not as bas as some suggest. Balotelli often gets banned, Sturridge can get injured, and Lambert is an unknown against European competition. His time may well come.

While I can understand the FSG connection between Roma and Liverpool,the fact Borini played for Rodgers before at Swansea suggests this was more to with Rodgers than anything else but its a possibility I suppose.

Borini's actions seem perfectly logical.

Stay at Liverpool and the outcomes are:

Injuries/suspensions/madness give you an opportunity to play regularly and demonstrate your worth and change the mind of the manager a la Henderson,

Injuries/suspensions/madness give you an opportunity to play regularly and demonstrate your worth and attract the attentions of teams better than Premier League relegation fodder,

Injuries/suspensions/madness give you an opportunity to play occasionally and demonstrate your worth and change the mind of the manager a la Henderson,

Injuries/suspensions/madness give you an opportunity to play occasionally and demonstrate your worth and attract the attentions of teams better than Premier League relegation fodder,

Sit in the stands and wait for Liverpool's transfer fee demand to become substantially lower and make you a more attractive option for teams better than Premier League relegation fodder.

I don’t know his intensions of course and his decision still seems a bit bizarre. I do feel, however, he might have something to offer and that most of us have written him off too early. I honestly think we’ve not given him enough time. From what I’ve seen so far he hasn’t got what it takes to be a Liverpool regular, but I hope I’m wrong.  He’s still with us and I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. He might get a chance or two to prove us all wrong now Sturridge is out injured. Last chance saloon for him I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Second time in a few days he's been brought on, this time ahead of Lambert. Maybe he has a future at Lfc after all? Not so difficult to understand his decision if he's going to play this often. And you don't get much Champions League fotball at Sunderland or QPR...

Shows how much we cocked up the transfer window that one injury has this guy in our best team.

Way I see it, we have to stick with the diamond.  One of Ballotelli/Lambert and one of Sturridge/Borini/Sterling?   Just got to hope the main two are fit more often than not I suppose.

Remy would have been perfect for us.  Should have gambled there.

He did well when he came on.

A willing runner in the attacking 3rd, gets into dangerous positions, tracks back and can drift wide to stretch the opposition's back line, he's not Sterling quick, but he's not exactly slow either, and his running into space will allow other attackers to carve out opportunities for themselves, as well as create a few for him.

We've not given the kid a proper chance, let's hope he gets it now.

• 3 months later...

Nearest thing I can find to a Borini thread.

I don't want to see this lad ever again in a red shirt.  He tries hard, he seems like a nice lad, but he's nowhere near good enough.  How on earth he was seen as someone who was a potential saviour and was being "frozen out" by Brendan a few months ago is beyond me.  This is a lad who had 4 goals from open play in about 30 games for Sunderland last season.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again now: we should have worked harder to get him to take Sunderland's 14m offer.  I would have put him in the U18s, then put him on the bench even for their games.  Never give him a sniff.  Make it very, very clear that it's in his best interest to have his agent find him another team (if he doesn't like Sunderland, then find another team who will come close to their offer).

Instead now we'll be flogging him in the summer (or hopefully in January?) for 3m and be thankful.

• Upvote 1