You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Destiny

Reacher

I take it you got to the Devil Walker toward the end of the Strike mission then?

I made it that far and along with the dude in my party, we were close to finishing the beast when I had to leave for work. It did get very repetitive as the Walker takes so long to destroy.

I'd come up against a Walker in an optional mission while playing through the story, so I knew what I was in for when it became apparent that we'd face one in Strike.

Played it for most of last night and loved it. A lot more polished than the alpha, which I snagged a key for on here too.

The vehicles seem to be a very common complaint lots of people going nuts over them but I read there are only going to be a couple of maps with vehicles on.

If you are being one shotted from distance they will be using a scout rifle, (sniper.) up close it will be a shotgun blast and a quick meele L1.

As for the strikes, that's one of the smaller ones. I went in level five with a rocket launcher and smashed the devil walkers legs off and we were fine. Used the launcher and sniper on the purple sphere.

The strikes are three man group content, and that's supposed to be a small one, after those end game content comes in, 6 man raids. Rumour on the net is they let a group of good gamers on and it took six hours first run through. Which should get shorter.

I love it but then I was a big World of Warcraft fan before they ruined it for kids. Can see me sinking countless hours into it.

• Upvote 2

Really surprised how much polish has been added. I know Bungie said the alpha was an old model, but I assumed that was a bit of kidology. The cut scenes and music really make it feel epic.

I played the alpha as a Hunter, so I thought I'd try a different class for the beta and went with a Titan. Not sure I like it. They seem a bit more sluggish and I miss the Golden Gun, it was a decent long range attack for when ammo was getting low and you don't want to leave your spot to forage for more.

It's tough to tell where the real differences between the classes are in the beta, as I think most will be tied to sub-classes, which items are equippable for each, and their unlockable perks.

I don't fancy the Titan at all, it looks slow and their health doesn't really seem to make up for it. Maybe it'll be different end game. I have been a hunter alpha and beta. I keep thinking I should try a warlock but their super is at odds with the class.

It's a squishy class but you have to get up close to use your nova bomb, which is a good super but it's tricky if someone isn't in the blast radius then that's you dead I'd guess.

I suspect it'll be a good old amount of time before I get even remotely close to that!

You run through the levels of the story?

You can pick up a fair bit of XP in Explore and Strike, if you don't fancy the multiplayer in Crucible.

I'm not looking at going through too much of the story - I want to keep it there for when the full game comes out.

I don't think they've given much away, there's only 5 levels available, but I understand where you're coming from.

If you're not running through the story, then yeah, it may take you a while to reach level 8...

Bit disappointed there's not more to do than with the alpha. I assumed they were going to add more content rather than just a polished version of what was shown previously.

They should have something there for those who hit level 8, as you unlock some decent new kit and then have nothing to do with it beyond the multiplayer.

Speaking of which, I assume the multiplayer needs to be tweaked because I'm getting good scores and I'm usually the bloke with a k/d ratio of 0.5 who gets booted.

Bit disappointed there's not more to do than with the alpha. I assumed they were going to add more content rather than just a polished version of what was shown previously.

They should have something there for those who hit level 8, as you unlock some decent new kit and then have nothing to do with it beyond the multiplayer.

Speaking of which, I assume the multiplayer needs to be tweaked because I'm getting good scores and I'm usually the bloke with a k/d ratio of 0.5 who gets booted.

There's more stuff being added after the maintinence apparently. They held a two hour tourney yesterday too apparently.

There's more stuff being added after the maintinence apparently. They held a two hour tourney yesterday too apparently.

Yeah, hopefully it's good stuff, but having rinsed the alpha for content I raced to the level cap this time and even the strike was a bit of a stroll. I guess I'm just a bit impatient because I'm enjoying it all so much and don't want to be pushed towards the multiplayer because of a lack of missions.

Once this thing's over, September's going to seem a long way away, but the time's clearly being well spent. The polish they've added is impressive, and the little tweaks to auto-aim and the voice acting make all the difference.

What loadout are people rocking?

I tend to stick with an auto rifle, sniper rifle and rocket launcher combo. In the alpha I used a scout rifle, but I'm yet to find one that's more powerful than my auto rifle; when I do, I'll switch.

Have they removed the pre-mission assessment of your kit? I've not seen it in the beta. 

Just watched a couple of walkthroughs of early levels of this as the story has me interested, looks decent so far from what I've seen, especially the environments and artwork. Have just gone off FPS games, last one I played was Crysis 2.

The parts about the traveller make it look like they've put some effort into storytelling though and am wondering how that turns out, just not sure if it's worth getting and going all of the way through the game for, and aren't sure if the rest of it will keep me as bothered. Will probably decide after watching the beta levels/story parts.

It also looks like they've put a solid effort into making a decent PS3 version, checked a comparison and was surprised at how good it looked. It looks almost the same in many ways, just lower resolution.

Yeah am going to get this, like the look of it quite a bit. Watched through to the end of beta as a couple of people on youtube did it, and will put up with the FPS'ing just so that I can see what it's like when those off-planet missions start up and the story progresses.

Started a Titan to go along with my hunter tonight. Gonna try and get him geared up and ready for PvP. I feel the golden gun is far too situational to be effective. It's awesome when it works but it's just not enough. The fist of havoc is a nightmare in control games. I'm guessing the golden gun will be on total deathmatch.

Downloaded it but missed it in the end. Was drinking last night and should've played it earlier in the day, but not a huge thing I suppose. If there'd have been an off-planet mission or two and the beta had been freely open for longer it would've pissed me off, but it wasn't the case so will just play other stuff until it comes out.

Ended up playing MTG as it was downloading though and I think I've got back into it, so might play some more of that shortly. Have also got Dishonored that's been sat there for months on end and I've not played it once, should really have a look and see what it's like.