You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

WhiskeyJar

Steven Gerrard as Defensive Midfield  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

It's all moot now anyway, as I don't see Lucas recovering from that injury before the end of the season. So it leaves us with 3 midfielders, plus Alberto as cover, for three midfield positions. The mutterings today suggest a bid for Salah and nothing else happening, so we're 1 injury away from having a midfield crisis.

We might be in a midfield crisis already, as none of the midfielders we do have seem to be comfortable playing the DM role.

For years I've cried out: Stop buying new players, as I believe we've had way too many new faces coming in. Whatever happened to the good all strategy of buying one or two, but better than the ones we allready had? Now, however I'm on the bandwagon: FFS, Buy a new DM!

I don't understand why no thought or mention has been made of playing Gerrard as a right back?

He's struggling to fit into the side in the middle, meanwhile he's been the best right back at the club by absolute miles for years (albeit never played there because he was better elsewhere) and now the first choice in that position has gone down injured.  Rather than trying to shoehorn him into a position he clearly isn't capable of playing as a lone holding midfielder, at least for the rest of the season he could be an excellent option at right back while we play Henderson, Allen, and the new holding midfield player (whoever that is) in midfield.

I don't think he can 'hold' but he can be a deep lying playmaker with two more mobile midfielders pressing farther up the pitch.

He just needs some time to adapt to that position a bit.  Being a bit more tactically rigid, and be aware of the opposition players when counter attacks are developing.

Time we absolutely do not have this season.  This is in all likelihood the best chance we will have for a while to get back into the top 4; hardly the time to go all experimental and waiting to see if Gerrard can "adapt to that position a bit."  It has already cost us two absolutely crucial points, and can't be allowed to cost us any more.

If we miss out on top 4 because Gerrard was "adapting to the Pirlo role," then Suarez is off this summer and we will have a hugely difficult time getting into the top 4 next season.  Can NOT be allowed to happen.

• Upvote 3

It he plays like that, fine by me.

If he plays like he did against Villa, no thanks...

Think Henderson did a lot of unsung work tonight.

Henderson was brilliant today, tireless and composed, made himself available constantly, pressed the shit out of them. Gerrard was excellent, best performance in 2 years from him but it's the derby, he was totally on it, he's the man for such occasions but he can't play like that in every game and we all know that.

It worked well tonight with Henderson dropping deeper when they had the ball and Coutinho just ahead of him and Gerrard.  But, do you want to be playing counter attacking football at home against Everton?  The personnel available forced us to do just that, and it worked tonight, but I don't think it would work in every game and for me the jury is still out.  For the time being, though, it's the best we have available until Allen is fit or we sign somebody.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It worked well tonight with Henderson dropping deeper when they had the ball and Coutinho just ahead of him and Gerrard.  But, do you want to be playing counter attacking football at home against Everton?  The personnel available forced us to do just that, and it worked tonight, but I don't think it would work in every game and for me the jury is still out.  For the time being, though, it's the best we have available until Allen is fit or we sign somebody.

Your a fucking idiot with a personality disorder.
  • Downvote 2

I think you can't really judge the set up in a Derby either really, as they are different games.  Gerrard always gets an extra boost of awesome/mental in Derbies and a lot of the other "flair" players up the workrate.

We're obviously going to be a bit short in midfield in some games if we just have Gerrard and Henderson in there with Coutinho and Sterling.  Not sure what else we can do with the players we've got at the moment though.

Gerrard has one bad half in holding midfield where we even eventually draw the game and thats it he's finished. Fuck him off he needs dropping don't ever play him there again, ever.

Next home game, plays the same position and is one of the best players on the pitch. Gets a goal and makes numerous great challenges, tackles and interceptions in the game. The game being a very fast derby where both sides were playing well to start with and the view that he has notoriously shit concentration and reading of the game was absolutely laughed out the park. The opinion now - oh well the jury is still out we played counter attacking football at home whinge whinge whinge.

The other thing that is completely ignored is Coutinho's pressing. People want Gerrard playing there and Coutinho showed why he shouldn't be. Pressed the fucking life out of Everton and Gerrard couldnt do that now.

Villa is an example of what can go wrong and tonight is an example of what can go right. The view that he hasn't got the necessary skills, abilities or reading of the game to play there was well and truly flushed down the toilet tonight along with the view he should never be played there again.

• Upvote 2

I think you can't really judge the set up in a Derby either really, as they are different games.  Gerrard always gets an extra boost of awesome/mental in Derbies and a lot of the other "flair" players up the workrate.

We're obviously going to be a bit short in midfield in some games if we just have Gerrard and Henderson in there with Coutinho and Sterling.  Not sure what else we can do with the players we've got at the moment though.

Rodgers can take so much confidence out of tonight with regards to Coutinho. I said before the game he needs to play and I'm glad he did. A few of our players shit out of tackles but Coutinho wasn't one of them. He took the physical stuff and didn't go hiding. He was fucking great tonight and showed he can be one of those three midfielders.

Gerrard has one bad half in holding midfield where we even eventually draw the game and thats it he's finished. Fuck him off he needs dropping don't ever play him there again, ever.

Next home game, plays the same position and is one of the best players on the pitch. Gets a goal and makes numerous great challenges, tackles and interceptions in the game. The game being a very fast derby where both sides were playing well to start with and the view that he has notoriously shit concentration and reading of the game was absolutely laughed out the park. The opinion now - oh well the jury is still out we played counter attacking football at home whinge whinge whinge.

The other thing that is completely ignored is Coutinho's pressing. People want Gerrard playing there and Coutinho showed why he shouldn't be. Pressed the fucking life out of Everton and Gerrard couldnt do that now.

Villa is an example of what can go wrong and tonight is an example of what can go right. The view that he hasn't got the necessary skills, abilities or reading of the game to play there was well and truly flushed down the toilet tonight along with the view he should never be played there again.

I'm not whinging, I'm giving my opinion.  Yes for me the jury is still out on this system.  I don't think that's a radical thing to say, really.  I think you'll find I was one of the only people on this forum happy with the options we had in midfield going  into the January window.  I like our midfielders, including Gerrard.  I question whether he should be the holding midfielder.  

Rodgers can take so much confidence out of tonight with regards to Coutinho. I said before the game he needs to play and I'm glad he did. A few of our players shit out of tackles but Coutinho wasn't one of them. He took the physical stuff and didn't go hiding. He was fucking great tonight and showed he can be one of those three midfielders.

For me he needs to play central.  Out wide he isn't half as effective.  All of his best games for us he has been central.  He found his final ball tonight, which was great to see.  His build up play has been very good all season.  It was just his final pass and shot that was letting him down.  Hopefully he can kick on from here.

I'm not whinging, I'm giving my opinion.  Yes for me the jury is still out on this system.  I don't think that's a radical thing to say, really.  I think you'll find I was one of the only people on this forum happy with the options we had in midfield going  into the January window.  I like our midfielders, including Gerrard.  I question whether he should be the holding midfielder.

Fair enough. I don't agree with people saying he should be playing somewhere else but I can accept that. It was more the view that he can't play there and shouldn't play there ever again. I think he showed tonight he's more than capable of playing there, although only one game, he showed he isn't devoid of the things he has been accused of.

For me he needs to play central.  Out wide he isn't half as effective.  All of his best games for us he has been central.  He found his final ball tonight, which was great to see.  His build up play has been very good all season.  It was just his final pass and shot that was letting him down.  Hopefully he can kick on from here.

Couldn't agree more. Thought him and Sterling were our best players tonight. Great performances everywhere obviously but it's great to see two young players have such an influence on the game.

Yeah, if he can play like that in most games he'll be fine in there.  I'm not sure he can though, I suspect a fair bit of it was Derby inspired, which is why sometimes we'll need Allen in, with Coutinho competing with Sterling for the other spot.  Or a new defensive midfielder.  Or perhaps both.