You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton away (Sat 23 November)

PeterB

Why are we so porous in defence now when we were so solid in the first 4 or 5 games?

We have to improve defensively very quickly or our decent start will ebb away.

We don't seem to attack as a team and defend as a team and that comes down to organisation to some extent, we don't set up to play compact and there is nowhere near enough covering for each other all over the pitch.

We rode our luck in those opening games. stoke missed pen, benteke chances for villa, cant remember united having many chances against us.

Set pieces have been disastrous for us for most of the season.

Today we were still chasing victory at 2-2 and left ourselves open. Mignolet made 9 saves according to fpl. We were under the cosh for long periods.

I thought lukaku was quiet today to be honest. The first goal fell into his path purely by luck. His second was poor defending admittedly but anyone can score from a corner. I'm not saying he's bad but I thought in general we handled him OK today . Suarez should've buried that chance but he's forgiven for being Mega. Allen will have had his confidence shattered by that miss though. The pleb

Moses missed a great one at 3-3 as well

I thought lukaku was quiet today to be honest. The first goal fell into his path purely by luck. His second was poor defending admittedly but anyone can score from a corner. I'm not saying he's bad but I thought in general we handled him OK today . Suarez should've buried that chance but he's forgiven for being Mega. Allen will have had his confidence shattered by that miss though. The pleb

time to get rid of allen  hes shown virtually nothing since we paid 11 million for him, he's just a drain on liverpool's resources, hope for his and our sake swansea will take him back where he may have played in a system that suited him.

Always thought, and still do to a lesser extent, that Martinez is a decent bloke. He talks out of his fucking arse in his post match though the prick.Mirallas was fucking disgusting today. And the FA rules make it impossible for an FA panel to look at the incident and award a red because the gutless fat cunt in the yellow shirt issued a yellow card.

Refereeing in this country is past a joke. They're fucking hopeless. Thanks to that useless cunt and the loan system which allows Lukaku to score 2 against us but not to play against Chelsea (oh and that pointless fuck Joe Allen) we've dropped 2 points today. Football fucking sucks and it's getting worse.

Other than that, happy fucking days.

we never ever get anything off bleedin' dowd, another closet manc, as soon as i see he is the ref i go uh oh.

It might sound like I'm going for the conspiracy of the year award, but I'm deadly serious.

Dowd was lost on making his decision.  He should have got his red card out immediately, but he delayed and delayed.  You could see he was trying to get another viewpoint - someone to give him info.  He was talking over the headset.

The linos obviously didn't help him, so maybe it was down to the fourth official. 

Is there a TV screen down near the dugouts?

I would love to know if they showed the replay of the incident on the screen in Goodison.

Anyway, the point I am making is, on the feed I watched they showed the incident ONCE, which was immediately after it happened.  They didn't show it again from the clear angle where you see him nearly snap Suarez in half.  NOT ONCE in that massive delay of about 3 minutes.  WHY?

If that was Suarez on that horrible bluenose you can bet your life they'd have showed it repeatedly from every conceivable angle on a continuous loop.

The point I am making?  The director for IMG was either a blue or a manc.

For those who think I should put on a pointy tin hat, the facts speak for themselves. 

1.  There is a human being in charge of editorial decisions (if it was my job, and I felt Liverpool could gain an advantage by my decision to not show a replay, I could easily justify it by telling my editor, "Stick on the live action, it looks like it's going to go off.").

2.  When have you EVER seen an incident as central as that not get repeatedly shown again?

3.  The ref was awaiting more info, and in its absence played it safe by giving an easy yellow.

Unless someone can say that in their feed, or in the ground, it was shown repeatedly, I'm sticking by belief of a conspiracy.

• Upvote 1

Some how i just feel the challenge has some evil intention in it. Suarez is already limping with his right leg, and sturridge is asked to warm up (from the commmentor). The studs struck exactly in the right knee.

Maybe just a coincident. This just reminds me of world cup 2010 final, where De jong (i believe) studded someone straight in the chest and only got a yellow. 

They were waiting for Dowd to pull a card out.  They're hardly going to be showing replays of the incident whilst a possible red is being given.  God knows why Dowd took so long, but usually, it's challenge, ref deals with it quickly then replays.

I disagree completely.  Yes, they (the director) was waiting for a card, but actually I think it's highly unusual to see just ONE replay of such a huge incident.  (I say huge, as in, in the context of the game.  Sorry to go all SkySports News for a second.)

I see Brendan has mentioned seeing the replay at the time, so there is a monitor.  How many times was the replay shown where everyone else is....?

We had it once, and that was IMMEDIATELY after the incident.  Then, nothing.  For 3/4 minutes.

They were waiting for Dowd to pull a card out. They're hardly going to be showing replays of the incident whilst a possible red is being given. God knows why Dowd took so long, but usually, it's challenge, ref deals with it quickly then replays.

Bt have screen in screen which thry used several times. No reason they couldn't have kept an eye on Dowd and replayed the incident

Just watched MOTD so only highlights but my impressions;

- Mingolet was fucking awesome, deffo an upgrade on Pepe so far

- not sending of Mirellas is a fucking joke, it's as bad a tackle as the Sunderland bloke last week.

- joes miss is fucking awful, that could see him out for a few games as his confidence will be shot.

- Suarez header at the end should have gone in but how can you call him, the blokes brilliant.

Mirallas also got called for handball and also drew blood from Henderson with a raised arm. Both after he was on his joke of a yellow. Fucking hell

yep and his studs came down on Suarez back as well which wasn't shown on MOTD. How he wasn't sent off I'll never know as there was at least another 2 yellows he should have got plus the blatant red

Bt have screen in screen which thry used several times. No reason they couldn't have kept an eye on Dowd and replayed the incident

It would have helped Martin Atkinson (fourth official) to communicate how awful the challenge was.  As it was, they (IMG) neglected to replay it.  As a result, Atkinson couldn't say anything, and Dowd was left to judge.  He'd left it far too late to go red so bottled it.

I am telling you, there is NO WAY that IMG (the company that film all the games) would have not shown it ordinarily.  3 minutes without a replay??  It was bizarre!

I smell a conspiracy.  A manc or a blue was in charge of the console, I'm telling you!

I don't think our physio helped with regards to the red card, he had the right idea but was too obvious.Dowd was making a point of showing he was listening to his ear piece before the physio came on and I thought he was going to give a red from advice but when the physio came on he clearly told him it wad a red on front of Everton players and if the ref had sent him off it would have looked like he was influenced.

I've got to say I like Dowd as a ref normally but he definitely should have sent mirallas off.

Gutted we didn't win and relieved we didn't lose.

We should have won, we created more than enough chances to. Allen and Moses should hang their heads in shame for the sitters they missed but we still look vulnerable at the back at times and that's another three goals conceded, two to direct set pieces. To give the shite their due they attacked in numbers instead of the usual dour derby negativity. It was a hard game.

I thought we played pretty well, we still afford way too much time and space for the opposition in midfield for my liking but we do it every game and that requires transfer work.

As I've said elsewhere, Mignolet was outstanding.

I thought we carried a threat going forward at all times and some of the chances we missed were eye watering. I do think we missed Sturridge a lot because the lad holds the ball up well and that was a problem in the second half yesterday.

The (none) red card is inexcusably poor officiating, and Martinez can fuck off with "no malicious intent" - Mirallas is a dirty cunt, he was diving all over the place in the game at Goodison last year and throwing tackles in. If that's not a red card I don't know what is - it was a shocking tackle and Suarez is very lucky he wasn't seriously hurt.

How can someone determine that isn't a red? I also wasn't happy with the shithouse free kicks he kept giving on half way, inviting them to lump it into the box. I would expect fuck ups from Mason or Jones or Friend, but not Phil Dowd. He's usually the best of a bad bunch.

It was encouraging again to see us play with some balls after being pegged back twice and falling behind. This team is starting to remind me of the 07-08 team. It isn't as good, but it's the best team we have had since then and they don't chuck it in when shit isn't going our way.

A draw isn't a bad result there to be honest. We should have won but we easily should have lost as well. Take it, move on, and see what December brings.

And of course hope that the footballing gods bring Mirallas something nasty in the coming weeks. Cunt.

I don't think our physio helped with regards to the red card, he had the right idea but was too obvious.Dowd was making a point of showing he was listening to his ear piece before the physio came on and I thought he was going to give a red from advice but when the physio came on he clearly told him it wad a red on front of Everton players and if the ref had sent him off it would have looked like he was influenced.

I've got to say I like Dowd as a ref normally but he definitely should have sent mirallas off.

Dowd is an egotistical prick. He loves being a major part of every game he referees. Very rare you don't notice him in a game

Dowd is an egotistical prick. He loves being a major part of every game he referees. Very rare you don't notice him in a game

He is, the gurning prick. But he is usually one of the best referees. The best of a bad bunch, admittedly. I don't look at our fixtures, see we've got Phil Dowd and think "shit."

I'll take centre of attention for games flowing and occasionally correct decisions - but he was absolutely horrific yesterday.

Guest San Don

It would have helped Martin Atkinson (fourth official) to communicate how awful the challenge was.  As it was, they (IMG) neglected to replay it.  As a result, Atkinson couldn't say anything, and Dowd was left to judge.  He'd left it far too late to go red so bottled it.

I am telling you, there is NO WAY that IMG (the company that film all the games) would have not shown it ordinarily.  3 minutes without a replay??  It was bizarre!

I smell a conspiracy.  A manc or a blue was in charge of the console, I'm telling you!

The forth official isnt supposed to have access to monitors on the touchline after a few incindents over the last few years. As far as Im aware, the 4th official can only use his eyes to view the game but even then, Im not certain if he can tell the ref whether an incident is cardable.

I just got the impression dowd might have sent the player off until one of our physio staff came on and said something to him. Maybe he (our physio staff) did see something on a monitor because he came on and went straight to dowd saying something maybe like 'he should be off, you can see it on video' and dowd thought shit, better not send him off now else there'll be even more awkward questions.

As for the big screen at the pit, Im sure clubs arent allowed to replay incidents such as this too.

Fuck me, Luis nearly gets his leg snapped and he still gets stick from certain members of the press.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/merseyside-derby-verdict-andy-dunns-2844943

Andy Dunn's big match verdict: Phil Dowd needed video help on Kevin Mirallas challenge

23 November 2013 10:30 PM By Andy Dunn

If ever a referee needed assistance, it was in this enthralling Merseyside derby. It'll come one day

Help required: Phil Dowd needed video assistance while Suarez was being treated

My view was probably just as good as Phil Dowd’s. In its elevation, maybe even better.

I heard Luis Suarez yelp – although you could probably hear Luis Suarez yelp halfway to the Isle of Man.

I knew the Kevin Mirallas challenge was a touch reckless, but my instinct did not say brutal or malicious.

Suarez convulsed like a grounded eel, sure. But that’s the way he rolls. Dramatically.

If I had to have a bet at that very moment, it would have been on Suarez gambolling spring lamb-like within minutes.

And if I had to produce a card, it would have been yellow.

Only Dowd did not have to produce a card there and then. Players had knotted into a childish mob, medics were preparing a miraculous, if predictable, recovery for the stricken South American.

Within a minute – tops – I knew, in the modern context and, thanks to a monitor, it was a red card.

Getty

Mirallas should have gone, should not have been around to assist with Everton’s second equaliser and their third goal.

So why didn’t Dowd realise that? Because, presumably, he is not allowed help.

Dowd should have been able to use the break in play to ask a video-watching official for advice.

This was a contest of breathless excitement and histrionics, of relentless thrills and aggro. If ever a referee needed assistance, it was here.

Sooner or later, it will come. It has to. The pressure will become too much. Everyone just seems to be getting angrier, you see. Players, managers and, especially those who pay to watch.

Since when, for example, has sprinting to the foot of the stands to spit abuse at random players become such a buzz? Even for the girls here.

Whether or not you thought Mirallas should have gone, whether or not you thought Suarez was at his provocative, sneaky best/worst, whether or not you thought Steven Gerrard elbowed his great friend Gareth Barry, whether or not you thought James McCarthy left his foot in, this was an occasion to be enjoyed.