You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pellegrini set to replace Mancini at Manchester City, claim reports | Football | The Guardian

Night before the cup final, and the humiliation is complete. Mancini to go.

Pellegrini set to replace Mancini at Manchester City, claim reports

• Spanish sources say Málaga coach has agreed deal

• Bookies slash odds on Pellegrini takeover to 10-1 on

Jamie Jackson

The Guardian, Saturday 11 May 2013

Roberto Mancini is facing fresh doubts over his future at Manchester City after reports in Spain stated on Friday evening last night that Manuel Pellegrini, the Málaga manager, had agreed to replace him at the start of next season.

It is claimed that City will pay Pellegrini's €4m (£3.4m) release clause to secure his services, with Isco, the Málaga midfielder, also interesting the club as they consider whether to make a formal bid for him. While it is understood that City were privately claiming no knowledge of any deal, Pellegrini has told his players that he will leave Málaga at the end of this season.

The timing of the claims threatens to undermine City's quest to win Saturday's FA Cup final against Wigan Athletic at Wembley, with one bookmaker slashing the odds to 10-1 on that Pellegrini will take over from Mancini.

As reported by the Guardian last month, Txiki Begiristain, the City director of football, met with Jesus Martínez, Pellegrini's agent in Madrid. When the meeting was put to Mancini, the Italian attempted to laugh it off but did admit that he did not know why Begiristain was seen with Martínez.

On Friday Mancini suggested he is fully aware of how ruthless management can be. "I won seven trophies in Inter in four years and they sack me after four years [in 2008]. This is football. I know football enough to understand this situation."

Mancini's long-term future at City is certainly in the balance. Yet victory on Saturday would mean a third major trophy in his three full seasons at City, to follow last season's Premier League title and the FA Cup triumph in 2011, which may strengthen Mancini's hand.

Although Mancini still holds considerable power at the club, it is Begiristain and Ferran Soriano, the chief executive, who have begun driving the long-term strategy, with the pair behind the potential introduction of a new 4-3-3 playing formation for next season, and they are also working closely together on bolstering the squad this summer.

And in Norway, a little heart breaks...

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the verge of two FA cups in 3 years and a premier league title in 4. Then this story gains traction. Why hasn't what Mancini achieved, earned him more time? Was it the early CL exits in the group stage and was that reason enough to look toward Pellegrini?

What was Mancini's CL record at Inter? By memory it wasn't great. As he has naturally pointed to his trophy haul there, but by the same token he has to wear his European record there too. His CL record at City has been shite, plus a lack of title challenge this season could definitely count against him.

Still, all that said, his CV is decent, so if Pelligrini gets the City job, who would take Mancini on? Back to Italy?

Bit out of order, the timing of it.

What's wrong with the timing?

Just before an FA Cup Final, the former showpiece of English Football, that's being played at 5.15pm, as an afterthought to the Aston Villa/Chelsea league game.

No, the timing's fine.

In keeping with what rubbish football is these days.

What was Mancini's CL record at Inter? By memory it wasn't great. As he has naturally pointed to his trophy haul there, but by the same token he has to wear his European record there too. His CL record at City has been shite, plus a lack of title challenge this season could definitely count against him.

Still, all that said, his CV is decent, so if Pelligrini gets the City job, who would take Mancini on? Back to Italy?

I think you are being a little harsh. His record at Inter domestically was excellent, retaining the PL title is notoriously hard. I accept that his CL record is poor, and his summer signings were equally dubious.

Pellegrini's CL record is impressive, but his experience hitherto has been exclusively Hispanic. Is he the next Rafa, or a Scholari?

My own view is that he is just as muh a gamble as giving Mancini another season.

And in Norway, a little heart breaks...

No I'm very happy one of the top clubs in England appoints a top manager instead of some no mark with no experience and no results to show for whatsoever.

Mediocrity is the way forward, woohaa.

No I'm very happy one of the top clubs in England appoints a top manager instead of some no mark with no experience and no results to show for whatsoever.

Mediocrity is the way forward, woohaa.

Didn't Kenny recommend him for us after Rafa was pushed? Instead we got the owl.

I know Kenny met him' date=' but not sure what happened afterwards.[/quote']

All I know is I put money on us getting Pellegrini. And it takes a lot for me to open my purse strings I can assure you.

I still miss that tenner :-(

Taking woy over Pellegrini is like being offered a shot on Kelly brook only to then say, "ah no, fizz from coronation street will do just fine thanks"

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Didn't Kenny recommend him for us after Rafa was pushed? Instead we got the owl.

According to Code, Hodgson achieved more by reaching and losing the UEFA cup final than Rafa did in winning the CL. So, ya know, can't have been that bad. Anybody but Rafa, remember?

According to Code, Hodgson achieved more by reaching and losing the UEFA cup final than Rafa did in winning the CL. So, ya know, can't have been that bad. Anybody but Rafa, remember?

I did not really word it like that but the perspective is Liverpool winning the European Cup 4 times before and Fulham had never even played in Europe before.

You make of it what you want.

If someone know a place where you can find historical odds you might have a look and see who where given less of a chance with the bookies as well.

Liverpool to win the CL or Fulham to reach the final.