You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Latest name to be linked with us is Yarmolenko.

Odds slashed - Liverpool now favourites to land 'Ukrainian Messi' | fanatix Sport News

Liverpool have come from 25/1 to 3/1 in the last hour with various bookmakers in the race to sign Dynamo Kyiv’s Andriy Yarmolenko.

The Ukrainian 23-year-old shot to prominence after an impressive performance against England at Wembley last September, and his fantastic close control and dribbling skills have made him a wanted man around Europe.

The reds have seemingly turned their attentions to Yarmalenko after losing out in the race to sign Willian to Tottenham, who expect to wrap up a deal in the coming days.

Don't know much about Yarmalenko, so just read up on him here-

Euro 2012: Ukraine profile – Andriy Yarmolenko | Igor Boyko, Aleksey Ivanov and Yuriy Shevchenko | Football | The Guardian

You can fuck you Mickeyteryannes, your Costa's & Willians off. This is the man. The club has played a blinder here, publicly court other players so other clubs come in. Throw Spurs a red herring in Willian, they bite, think theyre being cute by taking him away from under us. Soon as that deal is signed off, bang, this is the man we wanted all the way. We were just biding our time until them twats had finished spending, so fuck you Spurs. Tactics.

Don't know much about Yarmalenko, so just read up on him here-

Euro 2012: Ukraine profile – Andriy Yarmolenko | Igor Boyko, Aleksey Ivanov and Yuriy Shevchenko | Football | The Guardian

You can fuck you Mickeyteryannes, your Costa's & Willians off. This is the man. The club has played a blinder here, publicly court other players so other clubs come in. Throw Spurs a red herring in Willian, they bite, think theyre being cute by taking him away from under us. Soon as that deal is signed off, bang, this is the man we wanted all the way. We were just biding our time until them twats had finished spending, so fuck you Spurs. Tactics.

Article:

On that cold March night Andriy Yarmolenko felt particularly gloomy. His Dynamo Kyiv side had just struggled to beat lowly Vorskla, winning 1-0 in the end, and he had been so poor that he was substituted in the first half. He clearly was not in the mood to speak to the media but a local TV company insisted and then bombarded him with questions. What had gone wrong during the game? Why were Dynamo playing so badly? And why had he been taken off?

Yarmolenko refused to answer several times before one journalist said: "You owe it as a footballer, as a public person, to answer these questions." Yarmolenko did not even raise his eyes to look at the inquisitor, he just said "no, I am not a football player" and walked away.

What he meant was that he was not like other footballers and that he was not even sure whether he was cut out to make it in the professional game. And Dynamo's fans, at the time, would have agreed. It was his first season as a regular at the club and he was not capable of producing his best football. The pressure seemed to have got to him and the fans were on his back.

The jokers got down to business, with jibes such as "you say you are not a footballer? Well, we knew that a long time ago" – and other broadsides. It even got so bad that the Dynamo president, Ihor Surkis, banned Yarmolenko from talking to the press for a period of time.

Two years on and Yarmolenko has transformed himself completely to become Ukraine's main hope as they prepare to take on England, France and Sweden at Euro 2012. He has also been linked with a move to Liverpool. For a player who was called "the new Shevchenko" at 17, Yarmolenko has gone from heaven to hell – and back to heaven again.

His career path has not been straightforward. Far from it. When he was 13 he joined Dynamo Kyiv on a youth contract, only to move back to Desna a year later having been unable to cope with the physical demands at the Premier League club. For many that would be it as far as a football career was concerned but four years later, when he was still minding his own business with Desna, Yarmolenko was suddenly thrust into the spotlight again.

On that day in 2006 the Dynamo coach, Anatoliy Demiyanenko, was facing awkward questions about why he never gave any young players a chance. Suddenly, the club spokesman, Alexei Semenenko, interrupted the conversation and said proudly: "I was recently informed that 130km away from Kiev our scouts have found the boy who is already being called 'the new Shevchenko.'"

No one was told the name of this "new Shevchenko" until the next day, when the papers found out that Semenenko had meant Yarmolenko. Since that day and until he made his debut for the Dynamo first team, he was nicknamed "the boy from 130km away".

Yarmolenko was born in Russia, where his parents worked, but they returned to their home in Ukraine after the collapse of the Soviet Union. "I was born in St. Petersburg, which then was called Leningrad, but I don't remember much about those years," Yarmolenko has said. "I was only three years old when my family returned to Ukraine. As far as I am concerned I only have one nationality, and I never thought about playing for Russia."

He was clearly a talented footballer, hence the offer to join Dynamo at the age of 13, but the failed experience in the capital made him reflect on what was important for him at the time. "I missed my parents. My thoughts were not on football, but on the desire to see my loved ones. I guess I came to Kiev too early.

"I felt that I was too weak and that I wasn't getting any stronger physically. It was a difficult time for me. Later I realised that the decision to return to Chernihiv was the right one." There were no hard feelings from Dynamo and they did the right thing, allowing him to return to Chernihiv rather than accepting offers from other clubs.

He continued to develop and felt mentally ready to return to Dynamo at the age of 17, but the "new Shevchenko" tag is somewhat unfair. Shevchenko was (and still is) famous for his predatory instincts in front of goal, his ability to read the game and to get into the right position in the penalty area. Yarmolenko, however, is not a natural goalscorer. He can play in most positions in attack, but during his 18 months in Dynamo's second team he scored only eight goals.

Once he got the chance in the first team, however, he did not have to wait long for his first. Towards the end of the 2007‑08 season the head coach, Yuriy Semin, decided to give the young Yarmolenko a chance away to Vorskla Poltava. The striker responded by scoring the winner.

The following season was a struggle for Yarmolenko with Semin once again preferring more experienced players to the raw teenager. But then Semin was replaced by another Russian, Valeriy Gazzaev, who re-introduced Yarmolenko to the first team and was also able to bring back Shevchenko from Chelsea.

Gazzaev favoured a 4-3-3 formation and he felt that Yarmolenko could play on the wing (a perception not shared by the fans who saw the tall, strong, energetic youngster as a central striker). During pre-season Yarmolenko was even tried in left-back, to his obvious discomfort.

He slowly started to look more comfortable on the left. The media and the fans were giving him a hard time but at least his coach believed in him. After Yarmolenko's debut in the first team, he said: "I would particularly like to thank my first coach [at Desna] and Valeriy Gazzaev, because it was he who believed in me. And when he became the head coach of Dynamo, I got into the starting XI."

Gazzaev never paid any attention to the media or the fans and that unfortunate first-half substitution against Vorskla was one of the few times Gazzaev's belief in the player wavered. No wonder Yarmolenko has remained so grateful.

Having won a permanent place in Dynamo's first team, it did not take long before Yarmolenko made his debut with the national team. Again he scored quickly, in both games against Andorra, but ran into trouble for his performance in the World Cup play-offs against Greece in 2009, which Ukraine lost.

With Dynamo, however, Yarmolenko continued to develop. Every season he has improved and after his second campaign he said: "It felt really nice to silence the critics. I read the [critical] comments on various fan sites with a smile now. Of course there are those who continue to look down on me, but there are fewer of them out there now."

Even the return of Yarmolenko's former nemesis, Semin, could not halt his progress. He impressed so much, in fact, that Semin gave him a much freer role and now Yarmolenko can often be seen on any of the flanks, behind the striker and even in the centre of attack.

In the Ukrainian youth teams, Yarmolenko had often played with another great talent – Yevhen Konoplyanka from Dnipro, who is also left winger. The coach of the Ukrainian Under-21 team, Pavlo Yakovenko, thought long and hard about how to solve this problem and then began to use one striker and two wingers, of which he moved the left-footed Yarmolenko to the right flank. And that is also how the senior team has used him on several occasions.

"Frankly speaking, it is even easier for me to attack from the right flank of midfield, I can move to the centre and create a chance with a favourable foot," he says. So Yarmolenko's current position on the pitch does not allow for him to be called the new Shevchenko, but then he never wanted such a nickname. "I do not want to be the 'new Shevchenko' – I want to be Yarmolenko," he says.

For the 22-year-old the Euro 2012 finals feels like make or break on the international scene. He can be inconsistent, he can be frustrating and he can be ineffective. But he can also be brilliant and this summer he can try himself against some of the best players in the world. He will relish the challenge – and these days every one in Ukraine knows that he is comfortable in his role as a footballer, unlike the shy teenager who refused to look

Well it made me laugh, good job.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm pretty far from being convinced that he's the right player. Seems a good player, but is he the right player for the side Rodgers is building? I'd say an inside forward is where our money should be spend, rather than somebody who is just an upgrade on Downing. I guess it depends on how much he'd cost.

Hello lads just back with a rare post

Its silly season an once again we see normally sane human beings loosing it because some player never talked about till a week or so before is linked with signing and then signs for someone else

When will these people understand that players are like buses if you miss one there is one coming along in a few mins

Why do we waste time on people who will never wear the shirt good loom to the players and there new clubs is all I say

We all know that to play for Liverpool football club is the greatest honour a player can have. The support love and adulation that a player gets from our supporters is second to none and to pass up that chance for a few quid extra from a much lesser club will be a mistake they will regret for the rest of their days

Don't worry about who we don't sign just support them that we do this team is going places this season and the right players will be added players who have there head turned for a few extra quid are not the players we want here at Anfield regardless of who they are

We our Liverpool Football Club the true kings of European football and we will be back there soon enough YNWA