You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

This summer should/could be the summer when we should/could invest some serious money in the team and challenge for the Top 4, the FA Cup and the league cup.

This was the last summer we could force Suarez to stay with us without the risk of losing him for less the following transfer window, when Coutinho and Sturridge have not yet been unsettled. This is probably the last big season for Steven Gerrard. This was the summer when the TV rights income doubled, the summer when United, Everton, City, Chelsea changed their managers. This summer we received nearly £30m from selling players without weakening too much.

I really believe that by adding Turan, Papadopooulos and a strong DM even on loan(i.e. Diarra), to the team we have right now we could really have challenged for the Top 4and a domestic cup.

Yet this summer we decided to save money and play it safe, making some profit. As much as you like to abuse me, or to get angry with Dennis, Code, Coro and anybody else who questions the owners, FSG lack vision and they are not nearly as smart as they think they are.

No-one would have a problem with that view, expressed in that manner. Or if they did they would be idiots. It's the repetitive simpleton spamming in every thread that gets people's backs up.

I want muniain or Honda.

Preferably Honda, because he's cheap and Japanese. We all know Japan is great. (Etsu restaurant for example)

Muniain would be my first choice now. In fact he would have been close to my first choice transfer target for the last couple of years. Class player. Needs to add goals to his game but it'll happen I reckon.

If they are selling Bale for £80M/£90M then they're just spending that money aren't they?

It depends doesnt it? Cost is not just transfer fees as well we know from our own cost cutting, it's wages too. They've shifted Huddleston, caulker, Livermore, Dempsey and Parker with I guess only the last two on big money, then we assume bale, who again is on top dough. They've brought in about £15-20m already with say £85m to come from Madrid, so about £100m.

They've brought in 5 players already (including wilian) with another 2 or 3 to come - I read before wilian they'd spent £60m this summer, so wilian makes it £90m and maybe about £60m to go - so they'll have spent about £50m.

I think you've also got to look at the wages across that 6 out 7/8 in to asses the real cost to spurs. They've probably added at least £20m per year in wages, so over the next 5 years an impact of at least £100m. So it seems they're spending the bale money and a slice of their tv money, along with some transfer pot, with maybe some tv money held back so they can still spend next year.

It's probably around the equivalent of us having got the Armenian, Greek and costa to our current squad I reckon.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In the current market' date=' yes, they are.[/quote']

Sturridge, Michu, Benteke, to name three re ent goal scoring additions for well under that.

If were spending 30m, it'd be nice if the attacker had decent end product.

Sturridge, Michu, Benteke, to name three re ent goal scoring additions for well under that.

If were spending 30m, it'd be nice if the attacker had decent end product.

Well, Michu isn't worth well under that in the current market. Neither is Benteke or Sturridge.

I am not saying said type of players can't be found - they clearly can in the examples you named, and mostly in foreign leagues - but, for every Michu, there's a Chamakh or four.

I know it's a truism but we have more chance of guaranteeing goals if we pay more.

edit: Can I just add that you are right, bargains can be found, they are just far from the norm. So maybe naive isn't the right word.

a further edit: It will be interesting to see how Van Wolkswinkel goes for Norwich.

Edited by Major Tom

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well, Michu isn't worth well under that in the current market. Neither is Benteke or Sturridge.

I am not saying said type of players can't be found - they clearly can in the examples you named, and mostly in foreign leagues - but, for every Michu, there's a Chamakh or four.

I know it's a truism but we have more chance of guaranteeing goals if we pay more.

Yes, but £30m is significantly more than the money paid for any of those players, around three times more, so i f we're saying the more the pay the better chance you have, I think it's not naive to ask for goals when you spend 30m, I think it should be the minimum requirement.

Yes, but £30m is significantly more than the money paid for any of those players, around three times more, so i f we're saying the more the pay the better chance you have, I think it's not naive to ask for goals when you spend 30m, I think it should be the minimum requirement.

Fair enough.

But I do think those players are the exception rather than the norm, so using those players as a yardstick when setting out your (one's) transfer policy is folly.

Saying that, I probably agree naive is the wrong word.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Fair enough.

But I do think those players are the exception rather than the norm, so using those players as a yardstick when setting out your (one's) transfer policy is folly.

Saying that, I probably agree naive is the wrong word.

If you look at the 10 top scorers in the league last season, how many cost over that £30m? None. I know teams are wanting a bit more for their top players this season, but I don't think expecting a high scorer for that money is anything other than standard.

What we're looking for is somebody to play wide as an inside forward. Getting one of those who scores goals isn't quite as easy, but £30m is still a fuck load of money. Even now. The market has been fucked by the likes of Chelsea, City, PSG, Monaco. Their only attraction, at least for the first couple of years, was just money. At least to the very biggest players. Now clubs like ours are sat there with an amount that would have been able to buy us the league not so long ago, and we can barely spend it.

I think we've built a decent squad from the ashes of the last few managers/DoF, actually. I think we've very much started to go in the right direction. We now need two or three high quality additions. We knew that at the end of the season. Where are they? If we've only got enough for one, that's not enough. There's still time, and I think we've been trying for that 'special' player Rodgers wants, but it's time we get our fingers out and go again. If it comes to deadline day and we don't bring anybody in, it's going to be a hard sell for them to convince anybody they're willing to do what it takes to compete.

It depends doesnt it? Cost is not just transfer fees as well we know from our own cost cutting, it's wages too. They've shifted Huddleston, caulker, Livermore, Dempsey and Parker with I guess only the last two on big money, then we assume bale, who again is on top dough. They've brought in about £15-20m already with say £85m to come from Madrid, so about £100m.

They've brought in 5 players already (including wilian) with another 2 or 3 to come - I read before wilian they'd spent £60m this summer, so wilian makes it £90m and maybe about £60m to go - so they'll have spent about £50m.

I think you've also got to look at the wages across that 6 out 7/8 in to asses the real cost to spurs. They've probably added at least £20m per year in wages, so over the next 5 years an impact of at least £100m. So it seems they're spending the bale money and a slice of their tv money, along with some transfer pot, with maybe some tv money held back so they can still spend next year.

It's probably around the equivalent of us having got the Armenian, Greek and costa to our current squad I reckon.

They're not grossly over-spending though are they, which is my point? I don't for one minute see Spurs heading down the Leeds route if they don't get CL this season.

This summer should/could be the summer when we should/could invest some serious money in the team and challenge for the Top 4' date=' the FA Cup and the league cup.

This was the last summer we could force Suarez to stay with us without the risk of losing him for less the following transfer window, when Coutinho and Sturridge have not yet been unsettled. This is probably the last big season for Steven Gerrard. This was the summer when the TV rights income doubled, the summer when United, Everton, City, Chelsea changed their managers. This summer we received nearly £30m from selling players without weakening too much.

I really believe that by adding Turan, Papadopooulos and a strong DM even on loan(i.e. Diarra), to the team we have right now we could really have challenged for the Top 4and a domestic cup.

Yet this summer we decided to save money and play it safe, making some profit. As much as you like to abuse me, or to get angry with Dennis, Code, Coro and anybody else who questions the owners, FSG lack vision and they are not nearly as smart as they think they are.[/quote']

That's actually a decent post mate, if you kept it in that vein I think you'd get less abuse.

We do need more signings though. Our squad is super thin.

Is it really?

Looking at our squad we have multiple options in most positions.

I'd say defensive midfield is a worry, as we only have Lucas as a clear cut defensive midfielder. I'd also want another top class CB, but if Toure can continue to play like he has, we actually look ok there.

I'd agree with Rodgers in that it's clear improvements for the first 11 we need. And namely a wide forward who can come in and have a real impact.

The thing is, we clearly believe Willian is a very good player who would significantly strengthen our team, or we wouldn't have been willing to pay £27/28m for him in the first place. In the end we've lost out on someone who we thought would add real quality to the first team because we were offering £2/3m below his market value and not prepared to go any higher.

Personally, I don't believe you can overpay for players who significantly strengthen your team. The problem with Kenny/Commolli's signings wasn't the fees paid, it was that they were fucking shit. Carroll at £25m would have still been a terrible signing, just as Coutinho for that amount would have been a great one. At the end of the day, the worth of Willian or any other signing will be determined entirely by his performances on the pitch. In a year's time either we will have been proven wrong not to have not paid the £30m, or wrong to have wanted him for slightly less than that amount, it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario in which he looks good value at £28m and poor value at £30m.

If we missed out on Willian because we feel that £30m could be better spent elsewhere and we go out and spend it then I've no problem with that. If, however, we fail to significantly strengthen in the next 2 weeks because we weren't prepared to pay the going rate for players that we identified to dramatically improve us then I'd be bitterly disappointed and worried about our ambition as a club.

Is it really?

Looking at our squad we have multiple options in most positions.

I'd say defensive midfield is a worry, as we only have Lucas as a clear cut defensive midfielder. I'd also want another top class CB, but if Toure can continue to play like he has, we actually look ok there.

I'd agree with Rodgers in that it's clear improvements for the first 11 we need. And namely a wide forward who can come in and have a real impact.

Last Saturday we had a number of kids on the bench. Talented kids, but kids all the same. The squad lacks players who have substantial Premier League experience.