You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I hope, I'm usually optimistic but this is a perfect storm for FSG. Ka-ching!

We would likely reinvest the money, just like we have done before. I was pretty dejected at the thought of Suarez and Torres leaving. Not really arsed about Phill. Very talented, but not the end of the world.

• Upvote 1

The fuck is the club playing at putting out that statement clearly without talking to the player first.... so fucking amateurish.

This is getting boring now! 

If you burn your toast in the morning, do you blame FSG for that as well - cos it seems that every fucking thing is their fault in your eyes!

Has it occurred to you that they put the statement out for us. For the good of the club. To stop Barcelona shit stirring and to stop Coutinho sitting back and letting Barcelona shit stirr. 

The fact that he has had to put a transfer request in, is the whole fucking point. 

Pearce and the BBC saying Coutinho sent the transfer request by email.

What a fucking pussy.

Pearce also now saying the club has rejected the request and that the club are firm on their stance that he won't be sold.

Dear Sirs,

I am the crown prince of football Philip Coutinho Esq and I wish to arrange for £100m to be put in your bank account

In fairness, they might have thought it was spam initially.

The timing is not bad at all, he has been waiting for two months now to see if the club had any ambitions, but he can see clearly like the rest of us except jimmy and jockey that we are stuck in limbo, so he rather jump ship and try to win something and we will be payed in full for him, but he knows that our unambitious owners arent going to strenghten anyway.

• Upvote 4

The timing is not bad at all, he has been waiting for two montha now to see if the club had any ambitions, but he can see clearly like the rest of us except jimmy and jockey that we are stuck in limbo, so he rather jump ship and try to win something and we will be payed in full for him, but he knows that our unambitious owners arent going to strenghten anyway.

That's actually a fair point.

The timing is not bad at all, he has been waiting for two montha now to see if the club had any ambitions, but he can see clearly like the rest of us except jimmy and jockey that we are stuck in limbo, so he rather jump ship and try to win something and we will be payed in full for him, but he knows that our unambitious owners arent going to strenghten anyway.

Yeah, we are stuck in Limbo. Only a fool would suggest we have not improved these past two season, and only a fool would suggest the team isn't better than last year now! 

confirmation bias, nothing more - ohh I hate FSG so i'll emphasise this by linking every fucking scenario to their lack of ambition. 

Coutinho would have gone either way. That is what happens when you buy south american players - deal with it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is it really a cunt move though? He's been here for 5 years won fuck all. We've shown as a club again this summer no ambition to bring top players in.

He wants to go to Barca and have a chance of trophies and a lifestyle that would most likely suit his family better.

He's looking at us having paid 8.5m for him Barca offering 100m and we are telling him no sorry Phil not happening.

I can't blame him for wanting to go or handing a transfer request in.

I still wouldn't sell him as once the window closes on 1st september he'll have to get his head down and concentrate on the season ahead.

I think there's a lot in your comment there so I'll break it down.

With regards to ambition, that's an issue with Klopp and the negotiation team. We've clearly had targets with little or no plan B. If Keita is the only player worth bringing in then we need to review our scouting options.

If that was the case, regarding his family, open communication should have been made prior to signing a five year contract with no termination consideration. Barca offering 100m isn't reasonable in such an inflated market. Especially considering the context regarding Neymar and time line for replacement.

Every player has an option to leave and progress their career, I agree. However to put forward the club have made this difficult doesn't hold much weight when you hand in an official request a day before the campaign starts. It's impossible to find a replacement in less than a month and puts every club on alert that LFC are desperate.

So, I stand by my comment. It's a cunt move both to the club and the fans. If he'd done this during preseason, brilliant. No issues there. It's the timing and the position he puts the club in that makes this a cunt move.

• Upvote 1

Are you surprised?

Sadly not.

How fucking hard would it have been to sit him down first and say 'ok phil, so the new contract you just signed well everything we talked about absolutely still stands...we want you to be an integral part of this clubs plans going forward and we don't want to entertain any offers for you and will reject any...are you in, lad?'

If he says yes then put out the statement make the big stand knowing you are sitting pretty and crack on with things...if he said no then say fuck all - deal with the matter without issuing a statement and only react once he handed in his request

Billy Hogan drops his guard basically admits we don't need stars as we sell out everywhere and we have Klopp. 

Looks like most of this squad will be here next season if the Yanks have their way.

“It certainly has (marketing) value when you have a global star. “From our perspective we have one of the biggest global stars in football in Jurgen Klopp. “From a personality standpoint and from a leadership perspective it has been incredibly valuable and beneficial for the club since he’s joined. “In the past we’ve had global iconic players come to the club and that’s been terrific. “Today, we have a talented young squad of players that are growing into their own and some of them are destined to become ‘big name stars’. “I don’t think it hurts us by any means. The club is such a big significant club that it stands on its own in terms of passion and following. “We’ve seen this when we go around on tours. We’ve had no impact in terms of crowd size or passion. “As we look at it, we are one of the few teams in the world that can sell out stadiums. And there are clubs with big stars who can’t do that. “We are focused on winning. We believe the club is in the right hands with Jurgen Klopp. “We’ve seen this season that we have a competitive team playing in the most competitive league in the world.” 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/global-star-klopp-can-make-12662610

That's what you get for selling Lucas.

Again, fair point. Was it really worth the £5m or whatever it was, given that it took away Coutinho's closest pal?

At least we arranged plenty of cover for the two positions Lucas played in last year though.

That's actually a fair point.

No it isn't. Because as has been pointed out - the fact we are not buying players is Klopps idea, not FSG's. 

A summer of Keane, some other cunt, and another pointless cunt all for £20m each like they've done in the past - would be a lack of ambition. The one thing we haven't show is a lack of ambition! 

The only thing on demonstration this year is Klopps stubbornness and his confidence in coaching. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

and that i how you successfully unsettle a player in a short amount of time, you first bid and get the player all excited then you say its now or never, then you show interest in someone else a little bit younger that the player you are after but with just as high a ceiling so that the player has pressure added to them and can see if he doesnt move then it really is his last chance.

i say get the neymar money off them and spend like a drunken sailor..