You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

How so? Pep at Barcelona had all the very best players in world football in a two horse league. At Bayern he all the best players, bought the best of the rest from his own domestic league in a league where at best you might get one solid challenger.

He then moved to City who had already spent a small fortune under the previous Managers, inherited a strong squad and topped it up with a load of quality. And if that quality didn't work out he just went out and replaced them.

The only team to challenge him in all that time has been us on a shoestring budget and a GREAT Manager. And we still only got 1 title out of it and 1 FA Cup and 1 Carabao.

Man City in the last ten years ish

6 leagues and likely to win the 7th this season

2 FA Cups

6 League Cups

That some haul. If they do win a treble this season thats 17 trophies in a decade! They've only added Haaland this year who is currently one of the most prolific strikers in world football, the cherry on top of a dominant side.

That's Guardiola, the crux of your post was about Halaand, you made it sound like he just has to goal hang and 50 goals will.come gift wrapped. That's pure shite.

On 07/12/2018 at 23:25, Tj hooker said:

Imo Benaud was not only the best cricket commentator but the best commentator I've had the pleasure of listening to , a true professional and a master of his craft .

Him or Dan Maskell for me ‘oh I say’ …

47 minutes ago, No2 said:

That's Guardiola, the crux of your post was about Halaand, you made it sound like he just has to goal hang and 50 goals will.come gift wrapped. That's pure shite.

Haalands good. But he's surrounded by some of the best creative attackers in world football playing against teams that constantly shit their pants when they take city on, even when they go a few goals up.

The argument here is that Redknapp is hailing him as the best of the best and Ive given reasons why I think he's not.

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Haalands good. But he's surrounded by some of the best creative attackers in world football playing against teams that constantly shit their pants when they take city on, even when they go a few goals up.

The argument here is that Redknapp is hailing him as the best of the best and Ive given reasons why I think he's not.

How many players have won Ballon D’Or while playing in the PL?

If City win the Champions League or even reach the final, I think its his to lose. 

That was where Redknapp was coming from I guess. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

How so? Pep at Barcelona had all the very best players in world football in a two horse league. At Bayern he all the best players, bought the best of the rest from his own domestic league in a league where at best you might get one solid challenger.

He then moved to City who had already spent a small fortune under the previous Managers, inherited a strong squad and topped it up with a load of quality. And if that quality didn't work out he just went out and replaced them.

The only team to challenge him in all that time has been us on a shoestring budget and a GREAT Manager. And we still only got 1 title out of it and 1 FA Cup and 1 Carabao.

Man City in the last ten years ish

6 leagues and likely to win the 7th this season

2 FA Cups

6 League Cups

That some haul. If they do win a treble this season thats 17 trophies in a decade! They've only added Haaland this year who is currently one of the most prolific strikers in world football, the cherry on top of a dominant side.

No offence Beefy but

Pep... blah blah blah... Manchester City are cunts

Jamie Redknapp, when fit and available, was an incredible midfielder.  I always remember when he'd be coming back from injury he'd be poor for about 3 games and then he'd get his eye in and after that he'd simply never misplace a pass  His passing range, and his ability to see gaps and pick out runs and dictate a game from the middle was better than anyone at the time. 

He is the very epitome of 'what could have been' had his career not been so blighted by injury. He was the one I always felt the most sorry for as he never got to bethought of as well as he should have been.  Owen had those few brilliant years before the hamstring tear at Leeds.  Redknapp just never got the chance to really get going.  A brilliant brilliant footballer also unfairly tarnished just because he was a good looking lad.  The suits thing was David James idea but Redknapp seem get the most grief for it.  I hate when good looking people get unfairly treated.  It's not fair on us.  We're people too.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Jamie Redknapp, when fit and available, was an incredible midfielder.  I always remember when he'd be coming back from injury he'd be poor for about 3 games and then he'd get his eye in and after that he'd simply never misplace a pass  His passing range, and his ability to see gaps and pick out runs and dictate a game from the middle was better than anyone at the time. 

He is the very epitome of 'what could have been' had his career not been so blighted by injury. He was the one I always felt the most sorry for as he never got to bethought of as well as he should have been.  Owen had those few brilliant years before the hamstring tear at Leeds.  Redknapp just never got the chance to really get going.  A brilliant brilliant footballer also unfairly tarnished just because he was a good looking lad.  The suits thing was David James idea but Redknapp seem get the most grief for it.  I hate when good looking people get unfairly treated.  It's not fair on us.  We're people too.

I don't think he was anywhere near that good. He showed real promise as a kid as it's why King Kenny bought or recommended him but he was way down the list of the best players in his position and his era. 

3 hours ago, Code said:

How many players have won Ballon D’Or while playing in the PL?

If City win the Champions League or even reach the final, I think its his to lose. 

That was where Redknapp was coming from I guess. 

No doubt he will win it City go on and win one or two of the main pots no doubt whatsoever.

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Not for me, he was a ‘good’ player but nowhere near the quality you’re saying. I’m fairly certain in 95-96 ish his reintroduction for Michael Thomas, after we’d had a 15 game unbeaten run saw us throw away a title under Evo. 

ps agree on the curse of good looks though 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think he was anywhere near that good. He showed real promise as a kid as it's why King Kenny bought or recommended him but he was way down the list of the best players in his position and his era. 

On top form, for me, he was fantastic in that creative midfield role. However, there was never enough games for him to be seriously compared to others. That’s why I feel so sorry for him. I really think he could have been up there with a proper uninterrupted career. 

Redknapp mirrored the LFC team he played for. Could look excellent on his day but wasn't reliable. Would dissappear at Selhurst Park or Highfield Road after running amok at Arsenal or Spurs. He wouldn't be in the top 25 midfielders I've seen play for us.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Jeeeez, he was frustrating as fuck, used to try the same long cross field ball every single fucking time & trot round like a fucking peacock, he showed promise & never delivered. Used to have me tearing my hair out back in the day, a proper shithouse too. Not for me

5 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

He was a 'nice' midfielder, stylish and well able to pick out a pass but limited defensively and obviously with huge and unfortunate injury issues. But we were effectively Tottenham Hotspur over some of those seasons before Houllier arrived. 

Meanwhile, Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira were leading their sides to titles. Shame Gerrard didn't emerge a few years earlier than 1998 as he was just what we were missing in the mid-1990s. 

20 minutes ago, Code said:

Fair enough, 25 is probably harsh. Easier to name midfielders he was better than. Quick check on those that have played more than 50 times, I'd say he's about par with Lalanna. Better than all those below.

Diao

Keita

Ox

Thompson 

Allen

Spearing

Stewart

Hutchinson 

Shelvey

Ince

McAteer

Biscan

Can

Thomas

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Fair enough, 25 is probably harsh. Easier to name midfielders he was better than. Quick check on those that have played more than 50 times, I'd say he's about par with Lalanna. Better than all those below.

Diao

Keita

Ox

Thompson 

Allen

Spearing

Stewart

Hutchinson 

Shelvey

Ince

McAteer

Biscan

Can

Thomas

He was better than Lallana. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

He was better than Lallana. 

Maybe but that's the bracket he's in, he wouldn’t have played for Klopp or Benitez, Rodgers would have found a role for him.

11 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

On top form, for me, he was fantastic in that creative midfield role. However, there was never enough games for him to be seriously compared to others. That’s why I feel so sorry for him. I really think he could have been up there with a proper uninterrupted career. 

Agree with you, I always rated him. I think he got injured playing for England and was never the same again.