You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool - Then and Now

Mel Wood

Don't know if youse are interested, but the last couple of weeks I've been taking old postcards and photos from around the city, going from the 1880s mainly up to about 1960, then trying to recreate the shot and put them together, to see how things have changed, or in some cases hardly changed at all.

Anyway, if anyone likes that sort of thing, I've got a bunch of them, here...

I know I should delete the ones around a certain postcode of the city for the GF, but they're very much a minority (3 or 4 out of 120ish) so I'm hoping they sneak through!

Liverpool Then and Now - a set on Flickr

• Upvote 1

Guest ShoePiss
Don't know if youse are interested, but the last couple of weeks I've been taking old postcards and photos from around the city, going from the 1880s mainly up to about 1960, then trying to recreate the shot and put them together, to see how things have changed, or in some cases hardly changed at all.

I know I should delete the ones around a certain postcode of the city for the GF, but they're very much a minority (3 or 4 out of 120ish) so I'm hoping they sneak through!

That's brilliant mate, just had a quick scan of a few of them. The flagpole corner picture is interesting. The wall and turnstyles from 1912 still looked exactly the same just before the kop was rebuilt if I remember rightly.

Will need a bit of time to look through these, but then I like looking at stuff like this. In our local newspaper, they have a small section for stuff such as this, and they once showed a picture of the street where I grew up, when all the houses were still being built. The difference is staggering.

Really good, really enjoyed looking through them and thanks.

Get some of Aigburth please

Thank you A Red

I've actually got a bunch of old Aigburth photos to 'do', but don't often get down that way of late - most of these ones I've done are partly because they're within a lunchtime walk from work!

I'm aiming to get out of town to do more suburby, pubs and dock ones on my next batch so will lob them up here when I do!

Cheers all.

My dad showed me a photo a while back from round the corner to where he grew up and asked if I could take a photo of it now. I really really want to do it now. Nice one Mel, these are great. I'm gonna send him the link too, even though they're well before his time too it's interesting seeing how the city was back then.

Fantastic. Will show my mum next time she comes round - she will love it.

Many thanks for these. The flagpole corner shots and the old turnstiles brought back many memories of my heyday in the 60s. All those steps, you had to be fit then! The crowds there before a match controlled by the cops on horseback.

Vague memories of the dockers umbrella but no I don't remember riding on it.

The judy in curlers on the mobile phone would have been tutted at back then - for not wearing a headscarf!

Loved them.

Loved it, whats with the elephants at Lime Street?

Apparently they were moving for a circus Code 72. They got to Liverpool by train, but then walked from Lime St to 'a farm somewhere near Toxteth' (?) to stay, while in the area. Sounded a bit weird when I read that, but my father in law saw the pic and straight away reckons he saw them walking past by where he lived at the time!

Brilliant stuff mate. Thanks very much for posting.

Thanks all! Been busy with it this week, but enjoying doing it very much. This week, I are mostly been photographin' a few around town, but most are actually from around the suburbs - West Derby, Allerton, Childwall, Gateacre, Toxteth, Wavertree, Aigburth, Tuebrook, Anfield, Walton etc etc. Do feel free to have a gander at them on my Flickr page here, if you're at all interested in that sort of shenanigan.