You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Warning: FF on the GF. 

Played 11 v 11 footie yesterday for the first time in probably 5 years, as a charity fundraiser.

we mustered 5 of our usual 18 or so players to join, one of them cajoled 3 others to come down from Newcastle, and the other team leant us some more to make us up to 12 or 13 depending on who/how many they rotated, so we’d have a sub or two.

We broke the halves into quarters so we wouldn’t die, and in the third quarter they had a full XI of whipper snappers which was a bit troublesome, but we still came out on top overall, prevailing 7-6 in a tough and at times feisty encounter, despite the 16 year old ref in full refs kit being utterly shite and giving half our attacks as offside, ignoring anything the other team did wrong and generally just giving every confidence that he’d be able to run a premier league VAR review without you noticing any obvious change in quality.

I played centre half and other than one time when I needed a few minutes after a lung busting chase back to clear a long ball, was happy with my performance and was on track to play the full 90 until I made an interception with about 6 minutes to go, stepped into midfield, knocked it past the lanky, pale ginger fuck that smashed into me. It wasn’t a bad challenge but I went up in the air and came down landing my full (and not inconsiderable) body weight on my left ankle, which rolled straight away and ballooned up wishing seconds.

checked into A&E last night to have an X-ray after the pain was worse than other times I’ve done it, but it is only a sprain. Still, fucking hurts.

6930D476-E148-4C4E-A72E-3E55F0FDABC6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Warning: FF on the GF. 

Played 11 v 11 footie yesterday for the first time in probably 5 years, as a charity fundraiser.

we mustered 5 of our usual 18 or so players to join, one of them cajoled 3 others to come down from Newcastle, and the other team leant us some more to make us up to 12 or 13 depending on who/how many they rotated, so we’d have a sub or two.

We broke the halves into quarters so we wouldn’t die, and in the third quarter they had a full XI of whipper snappers which was a bit troublesome, but we still came out on top overall, prevailing 7-6 in a tough and at times feisty encounter, despite the 16 year old ref in full refs kit being utterly shite and giving half our attacks as offside, ignoring anything the other team did wrong and generally just giving every confidence that he’d be able to run a premier league VAR review without you noticing any obvious change in quality.

I played centre half and other than one time when I needed a few minutes after a lung busting chase back to clear a long ball, was happy with my performance and was on track to play the full 90 until I made an interception with about 6 minutes to go, stepped into midfield, knocked it past the lanky, pale ginger fuck that smashed into me. It wasn’t a bad challenge but I went up in the air and came down landing my full (and not inconsiderable) body weight on my left ankle, which rolled straight away and ballooned up wishing seconds.

checked into A&E last night to have an X-ray after the pain was worse than other times I’ve done it, but it is only a sprain. Still, fucking hurts.

6930D476-E148-4C4E-A72E-3E55F0FDABC6.jpeg

Looks a beauty. You need to maximise the sympathy from your lass. If you play your cards right, you can drag this out for three months minimum. 

Alternatively you may be in a relationship with a Yorkshire girl, like me. In which case, you’ll be expected to take on extra chores, particularly those that put pressure on your ankle, as a punishment for getting injured whilst enjoying yourself, both of which are frowned upon in our house. 

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

How long were you in A & E? I keep hearing about people being stuck there for hours on end.

I was lucky. I got out less than 90 minutes after getting there. I called ahead on 111 or whatever it is so arrived with them already having my details but I don’t think that saved any time. 

they were rammed in the main waiting room and I got called for triage about 15 minutes after arriving and was wheeled out to a different part of A&E and the nurse said she and a few others we’re just the helping out as it’s so busy in there.

she ordered me an X-ray and bumped me into a different waiting area and the X-ray technician came round for me in about 20 minutes or so, and after that another nurse who was also just doing whatever she could to help in the last 30 minutes of he shift sorted me as her last job.

X-ray was clear so no treatment and sent home with the usual instructions for a sprained ankle which is sound.

while I was in the main waiting room initially though I overhead some people chatting and a couple of young women had arrived at 3, and were still there at 9. She’d had an X-ray and been given painkillers but that was all and she was waiting for whatever was going to happen next. Assume she did have a break.

The woman on the check in desk when I got there and asked the likely waiting time (so I could tell my missus who had driven me in) said 2 hours to see a nurse, 12 hours to see a doctor.

I was in the same A&E about 3-4 weeks ago when I had gastritis but that was 7am on a Sunday morning and was quieter, but I was in there longer as I did need treatment and a doctor. Way less than 12 hours though. More like 4.

My GP wanted me to have an ECG because I'd been feeling pretty shite. Forgot all about it  but got a call and had to go to for a full blown scan at Lister in Stevenage on Saturday.

From chatting there it seems to be OK but having to wait on the full results.

So in the space of three years I've had a busted hip, prostate cancer and now this.

Do I win £5?

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Joined a gym about 6 weeks ago. I’ve just concentrated on cardio in that time (11 lbs off) but decided to have a go on the free weights and machines yesterday. 

I can’t straighten my arms properly today. Any attempt to do so hurts a fair fucking amount. 

Sticking to the cardio! 

Did you have a program from someone there? That shouldn't happen.

13 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Did you have a program from someone there? That shouldn't happen.

Nope. I’ve been to gyms before so didn’t bother with an induction or a PT. I’ve had a look online and apparently it can happen if you’re fresh back to lifting weights, try a new technique that your muscles aren’t familiar with or if you go in too heavy. 

The weights I use (sparingly) at home are 12kg on a tricep bar, so uses both arms. At the gym, I went straight in at 12kg on a single arm bicep hammer curl, so I think I’ve overdone it. It says online that the inflammation/inability to straighten should last for a max of 48 hours. So I’ll see how I am then and go a bit lighter next time.

13 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Nope. I’ve been to gyms before so didn’t bother with an induction or a PT. I’ve had a look online and apparently it can happen if you’re fresh back to lifting weights, try a new technique that your muscles aren’t familiar with or if you go in too heavy. 

The weights I use (sparingly) at home are 12kg on a tricep bar, so uses both arms. At the gym, I went straight in at 12kg on a single arm bicep hammer curl, so I think I’ve overdone it. It says online that the inflammation/inability to straighten should last for a max of 48 hours. So I’ll see how I am then and go a bit lighter next time.

OK. No idea of your level of fitness, but think you'd be better off with a PT giving you a program so you don't wreck yourself and drop off because it's too much.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Joined a gym about 6 weeks ago. I’ve just concentrated on cardio in that time (11 lbs off) but decided to have a go on the free weights and machines yesterday. 

I can’t straighten my arms properly today. Any attempt to do so hurts a fair fucking amount. 

Sticking to the cardio! 

“Look at me I go the gym” 

Just don’t lift stuff that you can’t do more than 10 reps of. Weight training is easier than cardio. 

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

“Look at me I go the gym” 

Just don’t lift stuff that you can’t do more than 10 reps of. Weight training is easier than cardio. 

Cardio is far more beneficial too. You wont die of not having strong enough biceps or lats,but you sure will if your heart or lungs are weaker than they should be.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I’d posted about this before but if I have I can’t find it through the search function, so I’m gonna start again here.

its 4am and I’m in the dark, my eyes not fully adjusted to the light from my screen so there may well be typos ahead. Where that’s the case, I apologise.

My missus’ dad died yesterday. 

6 months ago, he was admitted into hospital as a result of circulatory problems with his legs that he’s had for a very long time. I can’t remember the details properly of the names of the surgery or the specific problems he had, but it was vascular issues. 

long story short, they had to repeat the op, then he got bleeding and other things and they had to do a further opp to release the pressure which had to happen twice. Then they had to remove large chunks of flesh which had died in his leg, then they found gangrene.

he went into hospital at the beginning of May. On 20th he had his leg amputated.

from there, he was doing ok - positive approach to physio and occupational therapy, making progress in transfers from bed to wheelchair, then problems. He caught covid, that set him back and from there his path was a downward one. He fought through covid but each time he left hospital to go back to the rehab hospital he would end up with an infection of one kind or another. All the positive progress ceased.

3 weeks ago he was finally taken home from hospital, release home on end of life care, to live out his final weeks in a hospital bed in his lounge. Happy to be home for the first time in half a year but having declined further surgery to remove more of his now reinfected amputated leg, and part of his, now also gangrenous other leg.

he died peacefully at midnight the night before last.

On 5th May - where this story began - we had tickets to see Stewart Lee in York. Trying to fit in a visit to him in hospital that first night he was in there after his first operation alongside some other things, we decided we had to bail on those tickets. We wouldn’t make it and my other half wasn’t in the right frame of mind.

A month or so ago, lifetime fan said his tour gig was recorded on bbc and was on the iPlayer, and it turns out that it was the 5th May york gig. We watched the first half and enjoyed it but it was tinged with sadness as her dad suffered in hospital through another infection.

then the queen died so they didn’t air the second half. It’s what she would’ve wanted you’d imagine.

a week or so ago we watched the second half. At the start of the show, he refers to two empty seats that day in York. We’re they ours? We don’t know.

RIP to him.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I thought I’d posted about this before but if I have I can’t find it through the search function, so I’m gonna start again here.

its 4am and I’m in the dark, my eyes not fully adjusted to the light from my screen so there may well be typos ahead. Where that’s the case, I apologise.

My missus’ dad died yesterday. 

6 months ago, he was admitted into hospital as a result of circulatory problems with his legs that he’s had for a very long time. I can’t remember the details properly of the names of the surgery or the specific problems he had, but it was vascular issues. 

long story short, they had to repeat the op, then he got bleeding and other things and they had to do a further opp to release the pressure which had to happen twice. Then they had to remove large chunks of flesh which had died in his leg, then they found gangrene.

he went into hospital at the beginning of May. On 20th he had his leg amputated.

from there, he was doing ok - positive approach to physio and occupational therapy, making progress in transfers from bed to wheelchair, then problems. He caught covid, that set him back and from there his path was a downward one. He fought through covid but each time he left hospital to go back to the rehab hospital he would end up with an infection of one kind or another. All the positive progress ceased.

3 weeks ago he was finally taken home from hospital, release home on end of life care, to live out his final weeks in a hospital bed in his lounge. Happy to be home for the first time in half a year but having declined further surgery to remove more of his now reinfected amputated leg, and part of his, now also gangrenous other leg.

he died peacefully at midnight the night before last.

On 5th May - where this story began - we had tickets to see Stewart Lee in York. Trying to fit in a visit to him in hospital that first night he was in there after his first operation alongside some other things, we decided we had to bail on those tickets. We wouldn’t make it and my other half wasn’t in the right frame of mind.

A month or so ago, lifetime fan said his tour gig was recorded on bbc and was on the iPlayer, and it turns out that it was the 5th May york gig. We watched the first half and enjoyed it but it was tinged with sadness as her dad suffered in hospital through another infection.

then the queen died so they didn’t air the second half. It’s what she would’ve wanted you’d imagine.

a week or so ago we watched the second half. At the start of the show, he refers to two empty seats that day in York. We’re they ours? We don’t know.

RIP to him.

Poor man, my condolences mate. I hope your wife and family are ok. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2021 at 00:16, Karl_b said:

At the age of 35, and having suffered from ulcerative colitis for 15 years, I've been told I've reached the end of the road with medical treatment. I've had a rough two years of trying different new medicines but ultimately none of them have worked, leading me to have many courses of steroids and to being hospitalised. Over the last 6 months I've been in discussion with my incredible healthcare team and we've decided that the best option is for me to have surgery. So, current pressures permitting, at some point in the next 2-4 months I'll be having my entire large intestine removed.

This is effectively a cure for my condition but it's pretty scary (albeit fairly routine). The hope is that in a year's time my overall health will have improved but, more importantly, my long term way of life will be better, life expectancy longer and the significant risk of bowel cancer will be pretty much removed. They'll be rebuilding my insides so that I don't need an external stoma bag but if I don't take to it then it can be reversed to give me the stoma. Hopefully the new insides will work!

Self indulgent post warning! I need an outlet.

After nearly two years on the waiting list, I had my surgery a week ago and fuck me, what a journey. The surgery went well but took 7 hours, subsequently the surgeon decided it would be too much for my body to complete the operation in one go so I've ended up with a stoma bag and will have to come back in a few months if I decide to have it reversed. 

The first 48 hours went well, all the observations were good, I was able to get out of bed and thought I was on the mend. Then I was encouraged to eat and drink and we discovered my bowel and bladder weren't working. I then went through 4 days of the worst pain, discomfort and least sleep I've experienced; it was a living hell. Thankfully, yesterday afternoon I started to show signs of recovery and today, after some - medically assisted - sleep, I feel almost human. 

The immense dedication, skill, hard-work and compassion of the entire NHS team is nothing short of a miracle, given the pressures they're under. They're clearly strained but they never, ever stop. 

Final note: however much I thought I loved my wife was wrong; it's so much more. She's continuing to work, look after the little one and dog and manage to visit me. Fuck me, I'm so lucky.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

• Upvote 17

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn’t really hold a candle to other posts on this thread but I rolled my ankle slipping on the ice on the way home from the pub on Friday the 17th. 

It wasn’t too bad for the first three days because I was too hungover to move off the couch. My entire ankle and foot was just one giant bruise and only hurt if I poked/pressed it. 

Since then though, I’ve been up and about non-stop and it’s just getting worse. Getting more swollen every day, the bruising not going away, it’s getting painful to step on. 

Pissing me off now. I’m getting no sympathy from the missus either, because it’s a pissed-up self inflicted injury. No mention of the fact that I did all the shopping, all the wrapping, all the carrying, all aggravating it further. 

26 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Doesn’t really hold a candle to other posts on this thread but I rolled my ankle slipping on the ice on the way home from the pub on Friday the 17th. 

It wasn’t too bad for the first three days because I was too hungover to move off the couch. My entire ankle and foot was just one giant bruise and only hurt if I poked/pressed it. 

Since then though, I’ve been up and about non-stop and it’s just getting worse. Getting more swollen every day, the bruising not going away, it’s getting painful to step on. 

Pissing me off now. I’m getting no sympathy from the missus either, because it’s a pissed-up self inflicted injury. No mention of the fact that I did all the shopping, all the wrapping, all the carrying, all aggravating it further. 

1EE7410B-CD88-45EB-9B51-C5833F564460.gif

Good luck in Stockport then. You’ll be a sitting duck.

• Haha 2

On 14/12/2022 at 09:46, Karl_b said:

After nearly two years on the waiting list, I had my surgery a week ago and fuck me, what a journey. The surgery went well but took 7 hours, subsequently the surgeon decided it would be too much for my body to complete the operation in one go so I've ended up with a stoma bag and will have to come back in a few months if I decide to have it reversed. 

The first 48 hours went well, all the observations were good, I was able to get out of bed and thought I was on the mend. Then I was encouraged to eat and drink and we discovered my bowel and bladder weren't working. I then went through 4 days of the worst pain, discomfort and least sleep I've experienced; it was a living hell. Thankfully, yesterday afternoon I started to show signs of recovery and today, after some - medically assisted - sleep, I feel almost human. 

The immense dedication, skill, hard-work and compassion of the entire NHS team is nothing short of a miracle, given the pressures they're under. They're clearly strained but they never, ever stop. 

Final note: however much I thought I loved my wife was wrong; it's so much more. She's continuing to work, look after the little one and dog and manage to visit me. Fuck me, I'm so lucky.

Best of luck. I've had microscopic colitis in the past and continue to 'suffer' (nothing at all like you) symptoms diagnosed as acute IBS and understand,a little how disabling chronic 'digestive issues' are. Well done on getting through your first surgery and I hope your second,if you choose it,works out for the best. Your words on the NHS are spot on and exactly why we should support our staff against these vile cunts in government.

31 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Best of luck. I've had microscopic colitis in the past and continue to 'suffer' (nothing at all like you) symptoms diagnosed as acute IBS and understand,a little how disabling chronic 'digestive issues' are. Well done on getting through your first surgery and I hope your second,if you choose it,works out for the best. Your words on the NHS are spot on and exactly why we should support our staff against these vile cunts in government.

Thanks Vlad. Hope you're coping ok with your symptoms, I know the festive period can be tricky with the temptation to over indulge!

On 14/12/2022 at 09:46, Karl_b said:

That sounds grim, best of luck to you.

On 27/12/2022 at 14:24, Karl_b said:

Thanks Vlad. Hope you're coping ok with your symptoms, I know the festive period can be tricky with the temptation to over indulge!

I take so much Codeine that I'm surprised I'm still here! Had another recent negative colonoscopy which doesn't help matters when you get symptoms with no diagnosis. Glad you are doing well and let us know how you keep getting on.