You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Seems Dempsey could be the wide forward, underwhelming for me. But his record is very, very good over the last two seasons, if he could put in similar numbers for us, and the price was reasonable, it would be good business. But since Maxi and Kuyt have already left, and rumours about Cole, Aquilani, Carroll and Adam following them out the door persist i'd be surprised if we didnt bring in at least one more apart from Allen and Dempsey.

Assuming Allen comes in, as things stand, ideally I'd like a bit of a goal poacher as well, but if we get Dempsey instead for something around £6-7m, I think it would be a decent deal.

I think Borini replaces Kuyt, Sterling replaces Maxi, Cole and Aquilani weren't with us last season so if they go they don't need replacing, if Allen comes in and Adam goes, we have enough coverage (in fact if Adam stays as well as Allen coming in, I think Shelvey should go on loan), but if Carroll goes then we will need someone else in. Same with Bellamy, and I guess anyone else not in that list.

I think its fair to say I'm not one who thinks the squad needs a massive overhaul. I get the feeling I may be in the minority though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
£15m is too much. Shades of Henderson and Downing all over again.

It's nothing like that, to be honest. Especially Downing. Allen is a young player, with bags of potential, but is already very good. Paying an extra million or three for the right player isn't a bad thing, it's when you pay an extra 12 for an ageing player, with no potential to be better than average. That's the problem.

Swansea release statement regarding speculation over midfielder Joe Allen:

A Swansea City spokesman said: “Swansea City can confirm that Liverpool have expressed an interest in Joe Allen, despite a written agreement with Liverpool not to approach any players within the 12-month period of former manager Brendan Rodgers leaving for Anfield.

“There has also been interest from other clubs regarding his possible availability and the club is due to speak to Joe, as originally planned, about the situation when he returns from GB duty.

“The club is not prepared to release any details on whether any formal bids have been made at this stage or details of Joe’s contract, which are private and confidential. The club is extremely disappointed that speculation regarding certain aspects of his contract have been released to the media by parties outside the club.

“Fortunately the club is in a financial position where it does not need to sell any of its players and will continue to work in the best interests of its supporters, who are our priority, and the club to provide new manager Michael Laudrup with the best opportunity to be successful in the forthcoming Premier League campaign.”emier

Assuming Allen comes in, as things stand, ideally I'd like a bit of a goal poacher as well, but if we get Dempsey instead for something around £6-7m, I think it would be a decent deal.

I think Borini replaces Kuyt, Sterling replaces Maxi, Cole and Aquilani weren't with us last season so if they go they don't need replacing, if Allen comes in and Adam goes, we have enough coverage (in fact if Adam stays as well as Allen coming in, I think Shelvey should go on loan), but if Carroll goes then we will need someone else in. Same with Bellamy, and I guess anyone else not in that list.

I think its fair to say I'm not one who thinks the squad needs a massive overhaul. I get the feeling I may be in the minority though.

I'm with you.

I think its a fairly even split. I'm in the other gang. I think we need about seven or eight new players, and a similar amount to leave.

Yeah, that statement had quite a few barbs aimed our way I think. The bottom line though if he wants to come here, and we meet the get-out clause not a lot Swansea can do. Reading between the lines, it looks like someone has bid for him and so BR hasn't renaged on the initial agreement he had with Swansea.

we did, but so did Wigan and Swansea, I don't want their squads

I just don't think we need massive changes. We've got the best keeper in the league. The 1st/2nd best central defensive pairing in the league. The England right back, the England captain.....in addition to players like Lucas and Luis Suarez. The squad needs changes, but not as many as people think.

I just don't think we need massive changes. We've got the best keeper in the league. The 1st/2nd best central defensive pairing in the league. The England right back, the England captain.....in addition to players like Lucas and Luis Suarez. The squad needs changes, but not as many as people think.

you could look it on the other hand, Reina was probably one of the worst first choice keepers in the league last season, Stevie's injured most of the time, Lucas has just come back from a long term injury, Suarez didn't score near enough for someone of his ability last season and our best winger is 17 and has 3 or 4 first team appearances

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Swansea release statement regarding speculation over midfielder Joe Allen:

A Swansea City spokesman said: “Swansea City can confirm that Liverpool have expressed an interest in Joe Allen, despite a written agreement with Liverpool not to approach any players within the 12-month period of former manager Brendan Rodgers leaving for Anfield.

“There has also been interest from other clubs regarding his possible availability and the club is due to speak to Joe, as originally planned, about the situation when he returns from GB duty.

“The club is not prepared to release any details on whether any formal bids have been made at this stage or details of Joe’s contract, which are private and confidential. The club is extremely disappointed that speculation regarding certain aspects of his contract have been released to the media by parties outside the club.

“Fortunately the club is in a financial position where it does not need to sell any of its players and will continue to work in the best interests of its supporters, who are our priority, and the club to provide new manager Michael Laudrup with the best opportunity to be successful in the forthcoming Premier League campaign.”emier

Shut it, Swansea. Just shush and sell the big team your best player. Ta.

Sorry, but the idea of a ban on Rogers approaching any of their players for 12 months is a bit unfair if you are prepared to accept approaches from other clubs! If your worry was that Rogers would return and gut your squad then by all means try to stop that, but if other clubs can express an interest then I don't see why we can't.

If you ain't selling him. Then that goes for everyone.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To talk about a confidential written agreement, then lambast people for talking about a different confidential agreement is hypercritical. I want us to dick 'em.

Guest San Don
I say shelve Allen until the Xmas transfer window when theyll be struggling under Laudrup and Allen will make our lives easier.

Rodgers isn't any any pressure from me to get everyone in this summer, it'll take 18 months or more.

Patience.

The risk with that startegy is spurs have made a bid. So, if we leave it til January, he may have already left.