You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Golf Thread

lifetime fan

Isn't he just a Masters win away from completing the set? He's won the other 3 majors and been part of Europe's Ryder Cup winning teams, as well as topping the money lists of both the European and PGA Tours.

Yep, and he blew a 4 shot lead at Augusta a couple years back.  Only a matter of time for the career Grand Slam IMO

That was a fantastic win by McIlroy. He seems to need players to challenge him before he finds another gear. The long par five - nobody else managed to teach in two - saw Rory hit a 283 yard three wood to seven feet and then hole out for eagle, was incredible. 

I didn't like the way it ended, but I suppose needs must due to the fading light and stormy weather coming in. Ideally the penultimate group would have finished the hole, posted a number, and then Rory would have had to hold it together to beat that number. He almost drove it into the water off the tee, then he hit his second too far and into a bunker, and in the dark he had to 'chunk' it out, trying to get some run on the ball, but he still left it a fair distance away. As the light faded he rolled it up to a foot and tapped in for victory. 

Mickleson deserves enormous credit for the way he rallied and put in a great challenge. He almost chipped in on the last for an eagle to take it to a play-off. The fact that we got a winner in 'normal' time was just as well. Majors that finish on the Monday are a bit of a letdown. It builds up into a great crescendo on the final day, and if you don't get a winner and have to go an extra day it ends up being flat, as everyone has to go back to work and there's no atmosphere. 

Fowler deserves enormous credit too. Top five at every major this year. Not many have done that. It won't be too long until he wins a major. 

McIlroy is on for the slam when the Masters comes around next Spring. It's a long time away, and who knows what kind of form he will be in at that point? But if it is anything like the way he is playing now, he will have a great chance. 

Sunday was a top day for sport. I was busy all morning. Then I watched a recording of the Dortmund friendly. Then had to go out. Gutted to be missing the PGA. Came home to find it had been a near two hour rain delay so I didn't miss any of the action. 

The golf has been good to me this year, I've backed both Bubba at The Masters and Rory to win at the US PGA. Rory had played so well lately that it looked a nap that he would go on and finish the season with another major win. I had to go to bed at around 11.30 on Sunday as I was done in after spending the day at Old Trafford on the Saturday, and it wasn't looking good for Rory at that point, so I was delighted to get up yesterday morning to news of Rory's win. He's such a brilliant player that I think he can go on and win at least 10 majors if he keeps his focus.

The golf has been good to me this year, I've backed both Bubba at The Masters and Rory to win at the US PGA. Rory had played so well lately that it looked a nap that he would go on and finish the season with another major win. I had to go to bed at around 11.30 on Sunday as I was done in after spending the day at Old Trafford on the Saturday, and it wasn't looking good for Rory at that point, so I was delighted to get up yesterday morning to news of Rory's win. He's such a brilliant player that I think he can go on and win at least 10 majors if he keeps his focus.

I reckon Tiger has laid the marker for him. Don't let the women mess with you, don't fuck around with your swing.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't see this posted anywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/29196593

Greg Norman: Chainsaw accident sees golfer nearly lose his left hand

Greg Norman is recovering in hospital after almost losing his left hand in a chainsaw accident.

The 59-year-old Australian, who won the Open in 1986 and 1993, posted a picture of himself recovering at a US hospital.

The former world number one, who last week posted a photo of himself cutting back a small tree, tweeted "Working with a chainsaw ALWAYS be respectful of the unexpected.

"I was one lucky man today. Damaged but not down & out. Still have left hand."

Norman, nicknamed The (Great White) Shark because of his distinctive blond hair and aggressive style of play, led the world rankings for a total of 331 weeks in the 1980s and 1990s.

As well as his major wins at Turnberry and Royal St George's, he finished runner-up in two US Opens, a pair of US PGAs and three Masters.

In 1996 he famously blew a six-shot lead at Augusta to hand victory to England's Nick Faldo.

• 1 month later...
Ian Poulter tweet leads to exit of American PGA president

A tweet which called Ian Poulter "a little girl" has led to the departure of PGA of America president Ted Bishop.

Bishop was responding to Poulter's criticism of the Ryder Cup captaincy of Nick Faldo and Tom Watson in the Englishman's new book 'No Limits'.

Comparing Faldo's superior major and Ryder Cup record with Poulter's, Bishop tweeted: "Yours v His? Lil Girl."

The PGA confirmed Bishop's exit and apologised for his "unacceptable" and "insensitive gender-based statements".

PGA of America vice president Derek Sprague, who has been appointed interim president, said: "The members of the PGA of America must uphold the highest standards and values of the profession, as well as the manner in which we conduct ourselves at all times.

"We apologise to any individual or group that felt diminished, in any way, by this unacceptable incident."

_78494168_82934056.jpg

Ian Poulter was a captain's pick at Valhalla in 2008, when Europe lost heavily to the US

Englishman Faldo, who won six major titles and a record 25 Ryder Cup points during his career, drew criticism from the European team during this year's Ryder Cup.

The 57-year-old, who was Europe captain at the 2008 Ryder Cup, said while commentating on this year's match that Sergio Garcia was "useless'' during the 16½-11½ loss to the United States at Valhalla six years ago, adding that he had a "bad attitude".

Poulter, 38, said in his book: "Faldo has lost a lot of respect from players because of what he said."

Noting that it was Europe's only loss in the past 15 years and that Faldo was captain, he added: "So who's useless? I think Faldo might need to have a little look in the mirror.''

In Bishop's tweet, which has since been deleted, he said: "Faldo's record stands by itself. Six majors and all-time RC points. Yours vs. His? Lil Girl.''

In a separate post on his Facebook page, which was also deleted, Bishop added: "Really? Sounds like a little school girl squealing during recess. C'MON MAN!"

Poulter's called Bishop's 'little girl' comments "pretty shocking and disappointing".

In a statement issued to the Golf Channel, Poulter later wrote: "Is being called a 'lil girl' meant to be derogatory or a put down? That's pretty shocking and disappointing, especially coming from the leader of the PGA of America. No further comment.''

Bishop chose 65-year-old Watson as the 2014 US Ryder Cup captain and Poulter said in his book that Watson's decision-making"completely baffled" him, adding: "It gave us a real boost. I found it utterly bizarre."

_78493919_456273510.jpg

Ian Poulter won one point in three appearances at this year's Ryder Cup at Gleneagles

He identified Watson's failure to play Mickelson and regular partner Keegan Bradley in either of the Saturday sessions as a particularly strange decision.

Five-time major champion Mickelson and 2011 US PGA winner Bradley won all three of their matches together at the 2012 Ryder Cup, and were also paired for the first two sessions of this year's event, winning once and losing once.

• 2 months later...