You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Golf Thread

lifetime fan

It will be interesting what sort of restrictions sponsors might try to exert on golfers in the future, due to stuff like this. I think Paul Casey broke his arm quite badly a few years ago while snowboarding. At the time he looked a top ten world golfer to me, but then he spent a long time in the relative wilderness trying to get back to his former level. It remains to be seen how much golf Rory misses, and whether the injury will damage his game whenever he starts playing again. There's so much money involved nowadays with sponsors, I'm sure they will be trying to use this to exert some pressure on not playing footie games and so on.  

Looking forward to this at St Andrews this week, be interesting to see if Tiger can get anywhere near back to form, he says this is his favourite course in the world and he has won here twice.

I've stuck £30 on Speith to carry on his superb form and win it, and also backed both Dustin Johnson and Jason Day each way, been backing these two for a while now and they've both gone close in recent times.

Last tournament to be televised by the BBC, no wonder golf is in decline, it can now only be watched if you have pay TV. I don't play golf and am not sure I'd have any interest in it if it wasn't for the fact I used to watch it in the summer when the football was taking a rest, same goes for cricket. The BBC used to show the Masters and the Open, the Scottish Open, the PGA at Wentworth, the Dunhill Cup, the World Matchplay and now nothing. A generation will grow up knowing nothing about these sports.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Anyway I want to know if I play 3 rounds of golf can I take my cards into a club and get a handicap without being a member of anywhere?

No ,to get a proper CONGU ( Confederation of National Golf Unions) handicap cert you need to be a member of a recognised club and get another club member to mark 3 cards. 

You can get something online from https://secure.golfclubgb.co.uk/how-the-handicap-works by just sending in cards . I'm not sure how far this gets you or how serious you are about your golf. I'm sure it would be good enough to get you in to play course that require a handicap certificate but I doubt it lets you enter competitions 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Koepka is very powerful and will probably win more Majors. I hadn't really heard of Fleetwood before this week but he gave a good account of himself. 

Don't know what happened to Rory. He was going really well before the football related injury a couple of years ago. He hasn't been the same since, and the rib thing has been causing him some grief.

At one point I thought he'd pile on loads of majors, but they look harder and harder to come by, given the depth of talent in the men's game. McIlroy will still win other Majors, but I reckon his career total will be about half a dozen or so, eight max.  

• 1 year later...