You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Despite what Johnny says it was the players that nearly got us across the line against all of the odds. 

We conceded far too many goals with the way he set the team up, and we relied on the midfield and forwards to get us ahead, which they did while running themselves into the ground.

A fucking fraud, liar, and egomaniac.

• Upvote 1

On 14/06/2023 at 13:20, El Dangerous said:

Massive backwards step that. What’s to be gained from managing the best team in a farmers league, will they even pay as well as a top tier championship club? Should have went to Palace or stuck around for a premier league club after the first round of sackings.

He's realised he's lost any chance of getting a bigger job after last season. For me he is then left with 3 choices. 1. Become Steve Bruce and just bum around anywhere that'll have you. 2. Go back to Scotland where it's easy, he'll win loads and be in Europe every season and test himself there. 3. Try to reinvent himself abroad. But that probably doesn't pay what Celtic do. 

Rodgers needed to get out of Leicester before it went to shit. And it's why anyone with ambition needs to be really careful when they take mid tier clubs on, because even if you succeed (and as much as I dislike Rodgers, I think he broadly succeeded at Leicester and would have kept them up), you're just one bad run of games away from the boot. Rodgers is done now, so he's taken his Celtic retirement home. 

On 15/06/2023 at 09:04, JohnnyH said:

Sorry, but it's nonsense to say a team that almost won the league did so "despite" a manager.  I'm no fan of Rodgers, and agree that he wasn't good enough for us (although there's an argument that there's been plenty of versions of "us" that managers of Rodgers calibre were good enough for) but no team achieves anything without key inputs from their manager.  Whenever a manager is turned on I see this all the time, and it's just not the case.  

At the end of the day elite level athletes find the weak points in someone's character. Rodgers, a bit a like Frank Lampard, is capable of getting a group of players to believe in him but ultimately they're a wolf in sheep's clothing. The players, particularly senior ones see through it very quickly. 

Whilst I agree with your general point that you can't win without input from the manager it is possible in the right scenario. Care taker managers prove this all the time, back to basics and just stay out of the way. Most of the time this sustains things for a few weeks, Brendan (at that point anyway) was like that, he spoke too much shite to be respected by players with experience of winning. He set the foundations but it's not hard to imagine a situation where the players were thinking, thanks Brendan, we'll take it from here. We had 13 or 14 players, choices were few and far between, we had 2 absolute warriors that lead without the need for instruction or words, they showed the way.

41 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Name a team who won the league in spite of their manager? I can’t think of one.

Barcelona?

I don’t even know who their managers were after Guardiola, but they won a lot of trophies on the basis of having Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez and Messi.

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Barcelona?

I don’t even know who their managers were after Guardiola, but they won a lot of trophies on the basis of having Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez and Messi.

I can’t remember of all of them, but there was the fella who died (whose name escapes me) and Luis Enrique.

I have a confession to make. I didn’t want Brendan Rogers from the off. I thought he lacked experience and came across as a dick. On the day, or thereabouts, that we announced him as our new manager, I referred to him as “Brendan Todgers”.  Someone on here, I can’t remember who, pm’d me and said I was a disgrace and my negativity pissed him off. I said it was a typo. It wasn’t, it was deliberate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 12

41 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I have a confession to make. I didn’t want Brendan Rogers from the off. I thought he lacked experience and came across as a dick. On the day, or thereabouts, that we announced him as our new manager, I referred to him as “Brendan Todgers”.  Someone on here, I can’t remember who, pm’d me and said I was a disgrace and my negativity pissed him off. I said it was a typo. It wasn’t, it was deliberate.

Should be a Netflix three-parter about this, Tone. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Other than Klopp coming in the best thing about him leaving was the end of that fucking awful Brendan Rodgers were on our way to glory song. No wonder the Colin Pascoe one got a far better airing at away games. 

'Now kids will have a story' - Christ, it was like an unused line from a Barney the Dinosaur song. 

Edit: The whole abomination was actually to the melody of Barney theme tune anyway. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

He was as useful as a bag of dicks so you were spot on.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Brendan Todgers from Carnmuff, to you.

On 15/06/2023 at 16:42, El Rojo said:

He was actually out for a fifth game, I think, but we lost to Southampton.

I just find the whole 'one man team' thing from that season a bit nauseating. Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge were fantastic for long spells too. 

On the man-management thing, Suarez could regularly be a complete prick himself, so I don't think there was any harm in giving him a bit back. Was he trying to leave the club at the time, like he was every single summer with us? Whatever it was, the treatment didn't harm his performances afterwards. 

Anyway, it was the closest we came to a league title in 24 years. Suarez was immense and other players weren't far off him, but I find the constant suggestions on here and elsewhere that it all happened in spite of Rodgers a bit odd. 

I'm not saying that it was a one-man season or that we challenged in spite of Rodgers; I would say that Suarez (and Sturridge and Gerrard) contributed more than Rodgers and that a better manager would have organised and motivated the team to concede fewer goals.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not saying that it was a one-man season or that we challenged in spite of Rodgers; I would say that Suarez (and Sturridge and Gerrard) contributed more than Rodgers and that a better manager would have organised and motivated the team to concede fewer goals.

Fair enough. So much of it did come down to that awful Chelsea game though, with Gerrard’s error and Suarez running on fumes. Chelsea were missing a load of players too. 

One thing I would criticise Rodgers for was not using Aspas more as a sub so that Suarez or Sturridge might have come off on 60 or 70 minutes when we’d games won and Aspas could have played himself into a bit of confidence.

Of course, the title winners were still financially doped back then.

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Probably worth mentioning that, despite the way it ended, I fucking loved that season.  It was the first time in a long time that I was going to matches with the feeling that anything could happen and it was likely to be fun.

Ironically,knowing we had Rodgers in charge I was waiting for the inevitable fuck up. We didn't disappoint.