You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You've got to give Kenny the chance to give this team an identity

Antynwa

I don't know the lad from Adam. I'm just baffled as to why he's being blamed for us appointing Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish, justifiably baffled I'd say.

It wasn't written in stone that we should sack Rafa and appoint Hodgson, we could just as easily have appointed Marcello Lippi and have finished third this year. Would Ant have been given the credit for that decision, and maybe a TLW fridge magnet?

What?

If I wrote a post tomorrow saying Luis Suarez is fucking shite and we need to get rid, and we actually did, and got relegated the next year whilst he became top scorer in the PL, would people call me a mong?

Of course they fucking would. Nobody is blaming "Ant" for the sacking Rafa or hiring Hodgson. They are blaming "Ant" for being a fucking idiot.

Stop reading this as some contorted witch hunt. You know for a fact it isnt that.

You can't possibly look at the situation we're in now without looking at the causes. His arrogance whilst pushing his agenda at the time means people are going to compare his stance then and the state we're in now and human nature being what it is lots will say "see, you were wrong told you so".

Agreed.

He was wrong.

He was told what would happen.

He still carried on.

Nothing wrong with the premise of the thread.

I just won't be lectured on support by a hormonal blert like him.

Edited by Dicko

What?

If I wrote a post tomorrow saying Luis Suarez is fucking shite and we need to get rid, and we actually did, and got relegated the next year whilst he became top scorer in the PL, would people call me a mong?

Of course they fucking would. Nobody is blaming "Ant" for the sacking Rafa or hiring Hodgson. They are blaming "Ant" for being a fucking idiot.

Stop reading this as some contorted witch hunt. You know for a fact it isnt that.

I didn't say it was a witch hunt, I said let's not derail the thread and turn it into a 'let's all have a pop' or 'Rafa' thread. Which of course it has become. Compelling stuff, well done.

Nobody is blaming Ant for Benitez going. A few are just amused or irritated that he has the gall to talk about 3 managers in 18 months, when he actively campaigned for the most unjust removal of one of those three managers. The sacking that actually set into motion the chain events that lead to where we are today.

To say we could have hired Lippi is clear nonsense because the club was in the fucking gutter at the time and no decent manager would touch us with a barge pole - one out of many compelling reasons not to sack Benitez. So we got Hodgson. Who fucked up and so we got Kenny to rescue us.

I didn't say it was a witch hunt, I said let's not derail the thread and turn it into a 'let's all have a pop' or 'Rafa' thread. Which of course it has become. Compelling stuff, well done.

What don't you understand?

"Derail the thread". The thread is a load of horse-shit. It has been started by one of the biggest idiots on here. Hence, nobody takes it seriously.

I'm not going to talk about Rafa because we've done it before, and if yesterday was a migraine treating it into going to a room where everyone is shouting isn't going to work.

Kenny deserves another year, if he doesn't improve, he'll pay the price.

We need a young manager if Kenny goes, but I want him to stay. I think we'll improve.

To quote you;

"It's about time our own fans started showing Hodgson just some respect, not only has this 'journeyman' convinced SG and FT to stay, he's managed to convince Joe Cole to up sticks and move here. He's also struck up a rapport with Purslow and etc and it seems the players he wants, are the players he gets. He has been able to talk the talk so far, and it remains to be seen if he can walk the walk. But signs are promising, I like Roy Hodgson, I think he's an honest manager and he has integrity. I'm really pleased he's our manager."

"In Hodgson I trust."

You should try 'thinking' better.

We need a young manager if Kenny goes, but I want him to stay. I think we'll improve.

I think as long as someone puts an arm around his shoulder and says 'no' next time he identifies some average British player as his most desired signing and instead has the authority to tell him who we are allowed to purchase, and someone comes in to devise the tactics, then okay.

He's then doing more or less exactly the job the greatest supporters of the extension of his tenure have been trying to remove all blame by claiming he has all season.

I think as long as someone puts an arm around his shoulder and says 'no' next time he identifies some average British player as his most desired signing and instead has the authority to tell him who we are allowed to purchase, and someone comes in to devise the tactics, then okay.

He's then doing more or less exactly the job the greatest supporters of the extension of his tenure have been trying to remove all blame by claiming he has all season.

I think they where Kenny's players but DC dictated the price, I don't think that was the only reason DC got sacked.

But if you consider we where also in for Phil Jones and Young, there was still supposed to me money to burn but we wasted it all.

Rafa won't be coming back. A lot of the fans that met with the owners at the time of take over, basically rubbished Rafa and blamed him for a lot of our problems.

Henry will have a pretty dim view of Rafa Benitez.

As for now, well Kenny needs to move himself back upstairs. He's an absolute legend, but by any measurement he's failed miserably.

We'll finish no better than mid table, and that's unacceptable when you consider what we've invested since January 2011. Take Chelsea and Man City, they didn't win the league the minute they started investing huge sums, but their upward curve became a little steeper.

We've invested a similar amount of cash (to Chelsea when they started investing) that we'll pretty much have to write off, and at the same time have a downward curve on our league positions. The management took the enthusiasm, passing and movement from last season, and added a group of players that are seriously out of their depth that were never in a million years, suited to the kind of football we were playing.

Even yesterday, our game plan seemed to be to attack down the left wing, now in order for this to be in any way effective, we needed the following things:

A winger who could get past a man

A winger who could cross it consistently

More than one person in the box to get on the end of the cross

A striker like Carroll to compete for these crosses

Support outside the box to get on the end of knock downs/second ball.

We had none of those things, but that was how we set up. I can understand players not playing well, or other teams playing better, but the whole plan, yesterday, was based on a set of abilities that we didn't have.

And what? I wasn't the only person to say they where happy with what Hodgson was saying.

Soz for supporting a new manager.

Yeah, you're right, there are a bunch of other idiots on here too.

"Happy with what Hodgson was saying". Maybe you should read the 'Hodgson for England' thread to see how happy people were with what he was saying.

I couldnt be bothered finding any of your other opinions. I would love to know what you said about Rafa in the month before he went. I bet you wasn't "showing him much respect".

I dont think our downfall has anything to do with rafa we were failing with him towards the end, our downfall is due to ownership issues the fact we have been mismanaged for decades, we didn't take advantage of success and we are now paying the price. After gillet and hicks the squad we had assembled was fucking horrendous I'd rather look at a burning turd than that squad list. Surprise surprise it's taking more than two years to fix it. Managers have also played a part in this every single one of them have pissed away money to some degree. As far as I'm concerned very single fucking person involved with the club needs to be wiser and have absolute faith and confidence in every decision they make. We were rotting behind the season and it eventually spread to the front.

One thing I'm certain of is if the owners are serious about this club they need a couple of years of serious investment even if that means using their own funds because their living in a fantasy if they believe signing cheap potential will fix this.

Yeah, you're right, there are a bunch of other idiots on here too.

"Happy with what Hodgson was saying". Maybe you should read the 'Hodgson for England' thread to see how happy people were with what he was saying.

I couldnt be bothered finding any of your other opinions. I would love to know what you said about Rafa in the month before he went. I bet you wasn't "showing him much respect".

Probably not, but then again two wrongs don't make a right now do they?

If I recall correctly I made that post in pre-season.

Yea time to give the team a mid-table fodder identity. If he doesn't drastically improve the league form within 5 games next season he should be fucked off, the league form this year has been fucking shocking, the only reason I'm even willing to contemplate having him in charge next year is because of who he is because on performance he should have been out the door a good few months ago. Hodgeson got more shit despite having a fucking fraction of the money and time

Rafa won't be coming back. A lot of the fans that met with the owners at the time of take over, basically rubbished Rafa and blamed him for a lot of our problems.

Alternatively, he might have since inspected his record for himself and thought it to be pretty fucking great, all things considered.

I doubt Henry is in mood for paying much attention to what a rag tag bunch of fans who had a bizarre vendetta against Rafa might have said a couple of years ago.

I doubt he'll return, but that wouldn't be why.

I think they where Kenny's players but DC dictated the price, I don't think that was the only reason DC got sacked.

But if you consider we where also in for Phil Jones and Young, there was still supposed to me money to burn but we wasted it all.

Which prices did he dictate, exactly.

The Geordies have basically said that they wouldn't accept anything under £35m for Carroll. Loads of us were saying what Villa would be expecting for Downing, Young and English meant Hendersons price was always going to be roughly what we paid for him.

I don't believe Commolli overpaid massively for those players, but because of English tax, the players themselves were over valued.

The problem here, is that we should have walked away from these deals, or saved our money. We didn't, we jumped straight in with both feet.

Probably not, but then again two wrongs don't make a right now do they?

If I recall correctly I made that post in pre-season.

So do you admit you were wrong?

About two posts back you said "I stand by what I said".

If you admitted you were wrong people wouldnt be on your case.

Alternatively, he might have since inspected his record for himself and thought it to be pretty fucking great, all things considered.

I doubt Henry is in mood for paying much attention to what a rag tag bunch of fans who had a bizarre vendetta against Rafa might have said a couple of years ago.

I doubt he'll return, but that wouldn't be why.

Henry knows what he is doing. Those same fans that you would label "rag tag" are turning up as paid employees.

People may not remember, but Rafa was being slaughtered to Henry.

I dont think Henry will care what the fans think anymore.

Maybe thats why our stupid fucking fan-base shouldn't have asked to get rid of the first.

This is absolutely true.

And anybody wanting to change managers again really has got the memory (and about half the football knowledge) of a drug-addled goldfish.