You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yeah, just because his family is bad doesn't mean he will turn out to be the type of person who would put a cigar out on someones face or beat someone senseless in town when he's drunk. Oh, wait a minute.

He is a fucking scumbag, the fact he is mildly amusing on twitter doesn't change that.

Is? Was? People can change.

I don't see much evidence he has changed. It's not just one or two isolated incidents where he has acted a cunt, he has done it for most of his career.

Fair do's, he seems a different man off the pitch at present.

Maybe I'm too willing to give people a chance. I dunno.

Like Rooney, if he wasn't a pro footballer and reigned in by so many advisors/agents/managers/coaches he would be in jail.....or on a CCTV image robbing a plasma in last weeks riots.

His tweets are funny though, but not nearly as funny as @JesusChristFTM.

Edited by Moe Town
Twatter

I'm no fan of Barton, but if it wasn't Joey Barton involved in these incidents it might well have been a total different outcome to whole thing.

Just because Barton was involved people blame him when in reality he did little wrong.

He never retaliated with the Song incident, and even though he dragged Gervinho up after the dive, he never retaliated either when Gervinho slapped him.

Yeah, just because his family is bad doesn't mean he will turn out to be the type of person who would put a cigar out on someones face or beat someone senseless in town when he's drunk. Oh, wait a minute.

He is a fucking scumbag, the fact he is mildly amusing on twitter doesn't change that.

I think the difference is he seems to be genuinely trying to move on. If he's provoked and annoyed enough + doesn't give as much of a shit as time passes then maybe he'll turn back into a mess, but he might be alright eventually.

Don't think Newcastle is the right club for him though and that he should move, mainly because when he sees that the people right at the top of the club are absolutely taking the piss and getting away with it year after year it can't be a good influence and/or atmosphere for him.

Just tweeted this to him....

Hey @Joey7Barton Mr T is lookin for you. said you were acting like a crazy fool and is gonna introduce you to his friend pain #getsomenuts

I think he will mount a two-pronged counter attack. Mopey and sarcastic twitter response, and threatening phone calls attempting to arrange a rendezvous at the nearest KFC.

He's been hammering out the Hillsborough petition telling people to sign it. Last night and this morning he was tweeting it out there, demanding justice. He was also telling other players to get it out there too.

He's been tweeting all day pestering the journo's and even Alan Sugar. Fair play to him, not sure how much impact this kind of thing can have but surely it can't do any harm.

• 8 months later...

Joey Barton took to Twitter on Sunday night to launch an attack on his former Newcastle manager and the Match of the Day pundit Alan Shearer following the former striker's criticism of his dismissal during QPR's defeat to Manchester City.

In an expletive-littered rant he called Shearer a "prick", a "bell" and added "I have better hair". On Monday morning, he also took a swipe at Shearer's colleague Gary Lineker.

Joey Barton takes to Twitter to launch rant at Alan Shearer | Football | guardian.co.uk

I laughed..

He sums up all that is wrong with football. Average player who spends his time saying "look at me" on Twitter, which he will have lots more time to do when he's banned. There's a reason no big club would touch him. Newcastle have flourished without him, Carroll and Nolan. Coincidence?