You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To learn to play the guitar.

Anny Road

Start with an acoustic - get one for about 40 - 100 quid from curlys / dawsons / ebay,

learn these chords - A, G, D, E, search for songs you know using these chords (usually classic folk songs)

then learn these - C, Am, Em, F

then A7, Dm, Fm, etc etc

power chords also good to learn (search on the internet)

huzzah!

Take your time. Buy the guitar that suits the style you want to play.

Electric - lead guitar

Acoustic - pop rythym (strumming/fingerpicking)

Classical - classical music

Buy one that you like...get a decent one (you can always sell it on). Then get lessons. Try the RGT guitar exams series. Learn scales. Get a tutor.

ENJOY IT!!!

Nah man, I'd completely fuck accoustics off; boring as fuck, they require significantly more finger strength and dexterity, and you buy a guitar to rock the fuck out.

Get yourself a 2nd hand Michael Kelly Patriot from ebay. MK's have excellent build quality and electronics, and a cheapo solid state amp like a Marshall MG10 for starters.

A couple of leads, picks and a tuner, and your good to go for under £300 if you're a bargain hunter.

Chord theory is all well and good, but boring as fuck and really discouraging at times - sitting at home alone, jamming to a fuckin book ?!

Mix it up and getting jamming with a mate who's been playing for a while. You'll be playing Teen Spirit and Song 2 in no time mate.

Nah man, I'd completely fuck accoustics off; boring as fuck, they require significantly more finger strength and dexterity, and you buy a guitar to rock the fuck out.

Get yourself a 2nd hand Michael Kelly Patriot from ebay. MK's have excellent build quality and electronics, and a cheapo solid state amp like a Marshall MG10 for starters.

More reason to buy one, gets you used to the pressure you need to apply to the fretboard to get a clean clear sound. It's only my opinion anyway - it's how I started and I'm self taught.

I've been playing for about 12 years. Self taught, to a point. I then met a few lads who were in bands and started jamming with them. Met more people who were involved with band and expanded a little more.

Just started lessons, an I'd recommend it a the first thing to do, as because I can at a bit, my knowledge of theory and scales is a bit shit. My head was burnt out after my first lesson and wished I'd done it years ago.

I'll be playing like slowhand in no time.

More reason to buy one, gets you used to the pressure you need to apply to the fretboard to get a clean clear sound. It's only my opinion anyway - it's how I started and I'm self taught.

Yeah, agree there. I've been playing acoustic since day one, got a couple of electrics, but always end up putting together a tune idea with the acoustic. Just feels right doing it.

As an absolute beginner, it put me right off !

And learning from and playing along with theory books made me want to put the guitar down.

I reckon a healthy mix of rock, social jamming fun, and heads down theory and / or lessons is the ideal way to learn, but again, each to their own mate.

One question: do you want to learn so it'll help pick up birds or because you have a passion for music? (or both)

Nah I just want to sit at home with a beer and something to fiddle with. I'd love to play some Floyd solo's (yes I'm dreaming) but I recon I could give this 3 of 4 hours a day. I do have a bit of a dodgy right hand after a biking accident in my teens so hendrix style playing is out.

I've always wanted to play. I even remember going to church as a kid and thinking . If these god numpties can play how hard can it be.

Nah I just want to sit at home with a beer and something to fiddle with. I'd love to play some Floyd solo's (yes I'm dreaming) but I recon I could give this 3 of 4 hours a day. I do have a bit of a dodgy right hand after a biking accident in my teens so hendrix style playing is out.

I've always wanted to play. I even remember going to church as a kid and thinking . If these god numpties can play how hard can it be.

Fair, you should see if you can pick up a 'starter pack' or something of the like (guitar, amp, strap, lead, pick etc) can pick one of them up for 150/200 quid. Get a few lessons to grasp the basics, it's important to do that because it can get frustrating if you don't know what you're doing.

Then get a few songbooks and start picking out licks and riffs that you like, play along to records etc. and just keep practising basically. Remember everybody has to start somewhere and don't get too disheartened if you don't pick it up straight away.

Always a good idea to learn a few Oasis/Beatles (something similar) songs incase you're ever at a bbq or party and theres an accoustic handy.

Guitars/guitarists tend to have a strange hypnotic effect on women.

Got myself a guitar about a year ago with the idea of teaching myself using a couple of different books and that. Haven't really gotten anywhere. I'd pick up the guitar for a few days at a time, get nowhere, and then not pick it up for weeks and find that I'd be back to square one. So I think maybe the most important thing is forcing yourself to practice every single day. And get lessons.

You manage to sort out a pedal board in the end mate?

Aye, got a bargain with a Gator GPT Pro board from Thomann.

Now my rig is : Guitar > Korg Pitchblack > Crybaby > Bright Onion Dual Loop

> Loop A (clean) = Moen Unicomp > GLX 7 band EQ > EHX Small Clone chorus > Neunaber WET reverb > return

> Loop B (dirt) = Radial Tonebone London > Boss DD3 Delay > return

> EHX Hum Debugger > Artec Analog Delay > amp

...and that's me DONE !

Gotta sell some gear cos I need a new bathroom.

Have you got your eye on anything atm mate ?

What I don't understand is the whole this guitar sounds like this and that guitar sounds like that. Should I as a beginner just buy a Les Paul or a stratocaster and be happy with my choice or buy a piece of shit and then learn up.

Whatever you buy, make sure it stays in tune mate.

That's the knock on a lot of cheapies and beginner specials, they go out a LOT.

The MK's I mentioned previously are great vfm, built in a Les Paul single cut shape. I've got one myself and I can vouch for them.

Mind you, if you're thinking Floyd you should be thinking of a Strat.

What I don't understand is the whole this guitar sounds like this and that guitar sounds like that. Should I as a beginner just buy a Les Paul or a stratocaster and be happy with my choice or buy a piece of shit and then learn up.

I'd say a Les Paul all day everyday, but it's all down to personal taste and feel. I think Strats sound really good but I just don't feel as comfortable playing one as I do a Les Paul or a Gretcsh ( that has a similar body as a Les Paul).

Best suggestion would be to go to a music shop with a price range in mind, and ask to have a play through an amp. Try and think of a sound of a particular guitarist you like or have heard.

Aye, got a bargain with a Gator GPT Pro board from Thomann.

Now my rig is : Guitar > Korg Pitchblack > Crybaby > Bright Onion Dual Loop

> Loop A (clean) = Moen Unicomp > GLX 7 band EQ > EHX Small Clone chorus > Neunaber WET reverb > return

> Loop B (dirt) = Radial Tonebone London > Boss DD3 Delay > return

> EHX Hum Debugger > Artec Analog Delay > amp

...and that's me DONE !

Gotta sell some gear cos I need a new bathroom.

Have you got your eye on anything atm mate ?

Sounds like a cracking rig, pretty much everything you need there.

I've been thinking about getting an eventide harmonizer, it's quite pricey but i'm extremely impulsive!!!

Eventide - H7600