You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The order of preference for watching any team should be  

1 Liverpool men's senior team 

2  any other Liverpool team

3 any other football team

4 paint drying

5 Everton and the Mancs

I probably used to feel like that, but honestly after 1, I mostly prefer to sit in my armchair and watch a random prem game. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Never, ever forget manchester united were THE first English club to be banned from Europe by UEFA after their fans rioted at St Etienne in 1978.

Of course, they werent banned because of that single incident. They were banned because of the litany of trouble that followed many English clubs around Europe and Europe had had enough. But they kopped for it, not other English clubs.

Weirdly, St Etienne thought there was some injustice and campaigned for their re instatement and the tie be completed. They won getting united reinstated but lost the tie on aggregate.

Similarly, Hillsborough had been a death trap waiting to happen. Every time it was used for semi finals, fans could be seen being hoisted off the Lepping Lane terrace into the upper tier seating.

I remember severe overcrowding at the Dell, Southampton's old ground and Upton Park during the 70s.

English football should go down on its knees and give thanks there were no more 'Hillsborough's' before it actually happened and people who use the death's of fans to score cheap points for football need to seriously educate themselves.

That St. Etienne thing was pretty grim wasn't it.

Good piece in it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/manchester-united-st-etienne-plymouth-riot-cup-winners-cup

8 hours ago, torahboy said:

I went there for an FA Cup game in, I think, 1968. The barriers on the terrace were made of the the thinnest metal imaginable and once the game got under way, with the away end crammed, they just felll to bits. They didn't actually buckle, they came apart. There were a few kids injured but luckily none seriously. Nil nil too. Hateley missed a couple but made up for it in the 'replay in the fog'.

Football grounds were generally unsafe places for years but we never understood at the time just how unsafe they were - and perimeter fencing just made the conditions worse.

Yeah the authorities and the clubs didn't give a toss.

Sadly what happened at Heysel and Hillsborough whilst having very different main causes on those dreadful days are of course absiolutely connected by the failings of the authorities, the people in charge of the grounds etc....they were both sad inevitabilities.

What is sad is how even decades on with all we know now is how football fans still blame their fellow football fans for those dreadful events because of tribalism - instead of standing together to blame those really to blame.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah the authorities and the clubs didn't give a toss.

Sadly what happened at Heysel and Hillsborough whilst having very different main causes on those dreadful days are of course absiolutely connected by the failings of the authorities, the people in charge of the grounds etc....they were both sad inevitabilities.

What is sad is how even decades on with all we know now is how football fans still blame their fellow football fans for those dreadful events because of tribalism - instead of standing together to blame those really to blame.

Perhaps sadder is it's worse now than it ever was. Back in the 80s everybody understood it. It seems the passing of time has allowed people to become more bitter and twisted. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

That St. Etienne thing was pretty grim wasn't it.

Good piece in it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/manchester-united-st-etienne-plymouth-riot-cup-winners-cup

Yeah, I remember the occasion. The weird thing was, since an episode sometime in 65, I think, where we'd had a bit of trouble at Anfield during a European game, our record was pretty much unblemished as far as I recollect until that fateful night in 85.

Even in Rome in 84, people including women we were with got whacked with batons by the police even though the Roma fans were lobbing all sorts at us in the ground. The only reason me and the old girl didnt get whacked like the rest of the group was the curve we were on had like big deep channels between the blocks of seating and the old girl, who was younger then, didnt like the idea of the 6 foot drops.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

So apparently we burnt two effigies of the queen outside Anfield before the Ajax game ? 

There was no photos or video footage available as they were all hid in Alan Smiths ambulance.

I read a few blag stories about the final in Madrid where a lot of Evertonians seemed to conveniently have family members who supported Tottenham. 

Lots of pathetic attempts to lie about Liverpool fans attacking Spurs fans away from the city centre and smashing up shops. Of course there was no video evidence of this or reports from the Madrid police confirming it. It was all a conspiracy to stop English clubs being banned again by keeping it quiet (why they are bothered no one knows as they never qualify).

This didn't apply when Chelsea won the Champions league against Man City when there was lots of footage of both sets of fans fighting in Porto.

They really are a bunch of lying twats. They've been that shit for ages they just invent things about us to keep happy. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

There was no photos or video footage available as they were all hid in Alan Smiths ambulance.

I read a few blag stories about the final in Madrid where a lot of Evertonians seemed to conveniently have family members who supported Tottenham. 

Lots of pathetic attempts to lie about Liverpool fans attacking Spurs fans away from the city centre and smashing up shops. Of course there was no video evidence of this or reports from the Madrid police confirming it. It was all a conspiracy to stop English clubs being banned again by keeping it quiet (why they are bothered no one knows as they never qualify).

This didn't apply when Chelsea won the Champions league against Man City when there was lots of footage of both sets of fans fighting in Porto.

They really are a bunch of lying twats. They've been that shit for ages they just invent things about us to keep happy. 

It's lucky nobody gives a fuck about them or their bullshit could be quite dangerous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Fortunately, there were a load of Spurs fans in Madrid who can happily testify that the only grief was from over-zealous Spanish plod.

• Like 1

Googling Evertons best ever defenders for the draft I came across this beaut. Everton summed up.

He often has been referenced as the best right back to play for Everton. George Best- one of the most famous players in Premier League history- once described Wright as his most difficult opponent.

he made 208 appearances, scored no goal, and had no assist.