You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ball playing CB`s who is also dominant in the air.

Code

Hangeland is 30 in a couple of months. Thats way too old. Plus i dont think he's good enough.

I dont think Id touch Shawcross, I dont think he's good enough plus he's not that good on the ball (although to be fair, its hard to tell because of the team he plays in).

Id probably go for Cahill he's good. But Id be raiding Real Madrid for Albiol and Garay if I could get them cheap enough.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look at the best CBs Liverpool have had over the last decade:

Hyypia (Willem 2)

Henchoz (Blackburn)

Carragher (youth team)

We don't need to be just looking at big teams, or famous names or this year's flavour of the month. Or indeed spending huge amounts of money. The quality is out there. We just need to find it.

Agree with Christian. I'd take Cahill and a Shawcross/Dann/Roger Johnson etc and then get shut of Agger, Skrtel and Kygriakos.

That's three solid centre halves to choose from, with Wilson, Kelly, Ayala or whoever as the number four.

I like Dann, but he's had a nasty hamstring injury that's kept him out most of the season. We wouldn't want to replace one crock with another and Agger is way ahead in his development as a player at a similar age.

Johnson would be a good shout. Cahill as well, but he seems to be on the radar of a few of the CL clubs.

I don't see the problem with keeping Agger unless someone offers crazy money eg. 15M+.

Spurs and ManU seem to do alright with Ferdinand and King on the books.

Of all our crocks, he still offers the most value.

Gerrard picks up as many injuries these days, but we wouldn't advocate selling him at all.

Agger misses too many games, but he's that important to us when he does play that he's worth keeping around.

I prefer Cahill to Shawcross who looks a bit clumsy at times and I think might get caught out at the highest level.

I'd like to think we can bring in two central defenders but I doubt we'll have the budget. I think Kyrgiakos will be the only one leaving.

I prefer Cahill to Shawcross who looks a bit clumsy at times and I think might get caught out at the highest level.

I'd like to think we can bring in two central defenders but I doubt we'll have the budget. I think Kyrgiakos will be the only one leaving.

Kyrgiakos is the only one i'd look to let go, although if we got a good offer for any of them it'd be worth considering.

Skrtel, Carragher, Agger and a new signing. Skrtel has looked good whenever he's played alongside Agger under Kenny, as has Carragher.

I don't see the problem with keeping Agger unless someone offers crazy money eg. 15M+.

Spurs and ManU seem to do alright with Ferdinand and King on the books.

Of all our crocks, he still offers the most value.

I am in agreement with this, it seems to be in the in thing now to say Agger is a crock flog him and gets repeated like parrots by many. Hopefully when we flog Soto maybe the fourth spot should go to one of our promising youngsters.

What sort of message does it send out to those in the reserves or on loan that as soon as a spot become avail we try and spunk big money on a cb. I would rather spend the money elsewhere personally. Where it is needed more. Lets not forget under Kenny we seem to have ironed out some of the defensive problems we had earlier in the season. Give Kenny and the coaching team the summer period and then reassess in Jan.

I would go for Cahill and Ayala as the main CB and cover CB for next year. By all accounts Ayala is developing in to an excellent CB, but would need easing in. He certainly has the most experience of all our young CB's and from what i have seen is by far the better all round player, miles ahead of Wilson for example.

Hangeland? Ball playing?

Yes he is, one of the few clever things Hodgson has done was to play Hangeland at CM when at Viking so he should improve his passing game.

He is steady and calm on the ball another thing he has in common with Hyypia, he can aslo bring it forward at ease.

Yes he is, one of the few clever things Hodgson has done was to play Hangeland at CM when at Viking so he should improve his passing game.He is steady and calm on the ball another thing he has in common with Hyypia, he can aslo bring it forward at ease.

I'd give the credit to Benny Lennartson.

Guest PurpleNose

[YOUTUBE]neUSSExoRdw[/YOUTUBE]

9 second clip of Albiol scoring from his own half on PES2008.

Not really sure we need anymore scouting than that in all honesty.

This is teh correct answer.

Shawcross number 1 target for me. Plus A N Other, of which Cahill would definitely do.

No way we'd land them both though. Too many other clubs will be in for them as well I rekcon.

Shawcross is no better than Skrtel, the media just say he is because he's English.

I remember perfectly well he played midfield under Lennartson and at Vidar before he moved to Viking. It was his first position as far as I can remember.

Now he did not play there constantly throughout Benny's last tenure at the club, instead forming an immense defensive partnership with Tihinen. Roy is cheeky however, for taking credit for that imo (from his quotes in the article)

I'm from Stvg if that helps..

I remember perfectly well he played midfield under Lennartson and at Vidar before he moved to Viking. It was his first position as far as I can remember.

Now he did not play there constantly throughout Benny's last tenure at the club, instead forming an immense defensive partnership with Tihinen. Roy is cheeky however, for taking credit for that imo (from his quotes in the article)

I'm from Stvg if that helps..

I know he played a bit both at CM and CB before Hodgson`s time but I did not think he did it as regular before Hodgson.

You probably know better than me though as I`m not really a Viking fan so would not remember these details that far back as I only moved back to Stavanger again in 2004, but Hangeland said himself he was surprised at how well it went in the article.

In my opinion we need at least one new CB with pace, and in an ideal world we would buy 2 CB's.

Of the ones we have now only Agger has the quality wich is needed to be a contender next year. But with all his injuries we need 2 new players as i see it.

I know its not a popular view on here, but i dont think either of Carragher and Skrtel is good enough if we want to compete next year. Neither have any pace and that is causing too many problems every game. Even in the games we control you always have the feeling that every time the opposition crosses the halfwayline it will be dangerous because of the lack of quality and pace in our defence. Especially on counterattacks.

Because of this lack of pace it also makes it hard to play high enough up the pitch, because you know our CB's will get slaughtered if the opposition counterattack.

So i really feel we need a new pairing, because it will also help our attacking play, not just the defence.

If we were to bring in Hangeland for the Greek and Scott Dann for Skrtel I reckon we would have four partnerships which could work together and still have room to bring the kids through without it costing loads. The problem we've got now is two of our centre backs are not really good enough and don't really form good partnerships with the others.

A CB who can defend, has a bit of pace about him, can compete in the air and can pass a ball along the deck. The defending thing is the most important.

This notion that a CB needs to be Beckenbaur on the ground, or Sami in the air is a nonsense.

It wont matter while Carra is in the side though. We'll always been limited in the way we can play the game when he's in the side, be it through his hoofing or his vulnerability in behind.