You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ball playing CB`s who is also dominant in the air.

Code

I think it is a must for us to get in another ball playing CB who preferably also is dominant in the air who can give Agger competition for his place in the team, play alongside him or replace him when he gets injured.

I guess most have noticed how our performances tend to drop when Agger is not playing and like I said in Ants thread about the importance of consistency in our back four, consistency is not really the problem, the problem is the drop in quality beween our first choices and our squad players.

I cant think of many CB`s in the PL who would match this criteria but Hangeland is one.

Some might say he is too old, turning 30 in the summer, but he easily has 4-5 years at top level left in him and 4-5 years is like a lifetime these days in football.

He is superb in the air, good on the ground and he is almost never injured.

Since he was brought to Fulham in January 08 he has played 15, 37, 32 (rested for Europe league in the end a bit) and so far 31 PL games this season.

He could play together with Agger and he could play instead of him, this is the kind of quality we need to bring in and most successful CB pairings I can think of always have one ball playing player in it.

Its all well and good to talk about a player like Cahill, I`m not sure he would bring enough to the table.

As a replacement for Skrtel, yes thank you very much, but not to play alongside him,

But apart from Hangeland, who else is there?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd actually need two players.

Your ball winning and playing defender and a midfielder who can fill in when the defender goes for a stroll and loses the ball.

I don't like defensive midfielders who break up the play and give it to somebody else.

Are you talking about realistic options only?

Because Kompany is one of the best defenders in the Premiership.

Otherwise:

Phil Jones at Blackburn is a big talent as is Ciaran Clarke at Villa

Jagielka (not that realistic)

Ermmmmmmm...

As realistic as possible yes.

Cahill might bring the ball out of defense at times, but I would not say he has the calm I`m talking about on the ball.

Gary Cahill is a good player and I was probably one of the first to mention him on here as an option for us, but he can be a bit clumsy and rash and his technique is not always the best so we will need a ball playing CB alongside him. We need to bring in another one to be another option than Agger, Hangeland would be my preferred option as he also is dominant in the air and even if he is getting on he easily has 4-5 more good years in him.

I was doubting Cahill as well but then watched him against Ghana and was very impressed, had all the attributes that Code72 mentions that are needed. Neven Subotić is some one else who is touted a lot by people but I have not seen him so Cahill would be my preferred choice at the moment.

I think we should look beyond the English game given what somebody like Cahill might cost.

Per Mertesacker. Not the fastest, but then neither was Sami.

In the last year of his contract rumours that he wants to stay up North as well.

Guest PurpleNose
I'd buy Garay myself.

Either would be a huge improvement on our centrebacks. Neither are first choice at Real Madrid so would probably be available.

My only issue with Hangeland is that he gives me flashbacks to the Bay City Rollers. A lot of good shouts on here, though I don't know enough to have an opinion on anyone playing outside the prem. Realistically though, we need two CBs. Agger cannot be relied on, and if Skrtel is the answer, heaven only knows what the question is.

We need a young, agile, quick, ball playing CB, and an experienced player who can read the game well and impart his experience to the younger lad. this may be Carragher, but we should now be assuming that JC won't play in all of our games next season, and be planning for his graceful withdrawal.

Hangeland a good shout I reckon. 30 is not a problem as a cb. Cheap too.

It's a position where we don't need to be looking for a young lad to come in because we've got young lads there. More experience is needed, but an experienced defender who is calm on the ball, is dominant in the air and preferably with a bit of pace. Pace aside, this was exactly what Hyypia gave us.

We could do with a Gallas-type signing to tide us over for a couple of years till one or two of Wilson, Wisdom or Kelly are ready to play regularly in the middle. Should none of them make it then we'll need to buy one.

Hangeland? Ball playing?

That's what I thought too. I've only ever really seen him playing against us though. He's obviously great in the air and that's something we need also. I'd say he's probably better than anyone we have at the minute, has premier league and european experience. Think he'd be a good buy.

I don't give a fuck if a defender is a "ball playing" defender, whatever the fuck taht means, and I'm totally sick of hearing about it.

teh best defenders are exactly that; THE BEST DEFENDERS.

I don't want a defender who can dribble like Suarez and defend like Carragher c.2005, I just want a defender who can fucking DEFEND like Carragher c.2005!

There's only ever been one, I repeat, ONE defender who has ever really had both abilities: Alan Hansen.

Stop chasing the dream. It doesn't exist.