You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Your right I shouldn't have reacted in the manner I did. Me and Ant have had pleasant words (eventually) via PM.

There is a bit of irony from you here Lurtzy, I remember you used to be the king of it. It made me laugh though.

Meh, pfft etc. Long time ago, that. Different time, different place and all that.

Wasn't directed solely at you though, Skidders old boy. Pretty much every single thread on this forum descends into shit slinging. The shit slinging always went on but not in every single thread. It's twisting my melon man.

That seems to have changed, John. Because we were continually told that with the players at his disposal Rafa should be doing much better, mounting a title challenge, achieving CL qualification, and winning a cup. So, if the aim is to improve on last season - as we were continually told a new man would - then we should at least expect CL qualification, and a very good cup run. Unless we are... ...er... ...lowering expectations?

Or put it another way, with the squad inherited and the money spent we should have a much better squad after 6 years and that squad should have been more than good enough to get into the top 4.

We did not because our sqaud is shite and thats Rafa`s fault.

Whoever becomes our new manager will have a worse squad to start with than what Rafa did 6 years ago.

Abomination of a thread.

Is this place going to continue to become a slagging match between those who wanted Ra fa to go and those who wanted him to stay. If it is i'm going because it was tedious 6 months ago.

FWIW despite wanting a change of management last season i thought the vitriol and baseless allegations aimed at Rafa were bad taste and quite frankly disgraceful behaviour from fellow Liverpool fans.

I'm probably very much in the minority as i suggested Roy as a possible replacement for Rafa last year (well before his run in the Europa league) I personally am happy with it, i think he's a very under rated coach and quite frankly i like him as a person, he talks a lot of sense imo and seems to have an immesne knowledge about the game.

Given the circumstances of last summer, in hindsight (even after such a good previous season) asking for the league title was too much. However 4th place & potential CL football still should have been a given. That alone for me is enough to warrant Rafa losing his job, nevermind a lack of fight and quite frankly a disgraceful style of football.

Rafa is a top class coach, i'm certain he'll do really well at Inter Milan & I hope he does i have no persoanl ill will toward the man, I just thought things were goign stale here for him and no matter what he tried it wouldn't have the positive effect he wanted. LFC and the turbulent few years had taken its toll on him (like it has with many of us)

Off the pitch we have to continue our fight against the owners however futile it might seem. On the pitch we have to more than ever support those who actually truly represent Liverpool Football Club. Whether it be Hodgson, Lucas, Gerrard or Torres.

Or put it another way, with the squad inherited and the money spent we should have a much better squad after 6 years and that squad should have been more than good enough to get into the top 4.

We did not because our sqaud is shite and thats Rafa`s fault.

The squad was good enough to finish in the top four; the manager, for which he was correctly called on, failed to properly utilise the players at his disposal.

I still haven't seen this abuse being hurled at Hodgson

So the "Fuck off Roy Hodgson" and "Hodgson not on my watch" threads were figments of my imagination after all then.

I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Fair enough Rob. Some of the insults aimed at Rafa was way over the top' date=' but people were shouting out long before the ART thing. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think the same shite wouldn't have happened regardless of ART. It was a term used on a forum and one I make no secret of using to wind UEM up.

[b']What about some of the stuff that's being written on here about Hodgson ? A man as far as I know has nothing but respect throughout the footballing world. I'll bet my right arm that until he started to be linked with us 99.99% of people on here had no problem with him. Yet now he's been firmly linked with us, he's suddenly by some become public enemy number one.

Have you been as vocal in your criticism of those hurling uncalled for abuse at Hodgson ? A man who hasn't officially got the job yet. Or is it acceptable because of the man he's reportedly replacing ?[/b]

As I said Rob. It seems to have become a crime on here to want a change of manager.

Again, I'm with you on pretty much all of that Mick. As I said, tipping points were earlier for some than others and some criticism was more valid and objective than others.

It SEEMED to me at the time and over a period of time that anyone who dared to try and rationalise things and dissect the stupidity were labelled 'Rafapologists' as they were typing and again, like not everyone being in ART a blert, not everyone in the 'opposing' camp could see no wrong either.

It was just that there were some real agenda driven, well, quite frankly silly posts on here that just needed to be challenged otherwise they would have passed into truth, legend and folklore.

You know as well as I do Mick that if Rafa had a team of crack lawyers monitoring this site as it appears Cecil has, then your mate Al would have to tell his Cart AND his Horse to pay for those legal damages every single time he wrote FACT...and quicker than he could type 'litigious'.

The small problem I have with your post is the bolded bit...

You ask have I been as vocal in my criticism of those hruling uncalled for abuse at Hodgson?....well I haven't and I'll tell you for why.

I'm not a 'Rafapologist', maybe 'centre-left Rafa should stay for now progressive party' but no more than that....but any abuse 'aimed' at Roy Hodgson is alot more about the Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse than him, he is a symptom, not a cause, people have no issue with him as a man, or a manager, just they don't want him appointed by Hicks, Gillett and Purslow because those starting threads like "Roy Hodgson fuck off" trusted Rafa to do right by the club more than they do or ever did these cunts running the show.

THAT is why I didn't want Rafa gone, because I trusted him more than I do Purslow or the rest and I fear a period of revolving door managers. He would be their appointment, guilt by assocation and I dont want anyone appointed by them managing this club....that is why I contribute to such threads, not because I dislike Hodgson but because it's what he represents and WHO he represents.

I wanted Rafa to outlast the cunts for little or no reason more than that. Had we been a properly run ship and had Rafa been sacked for footballing reasons, then last seasons shambles would have been hard to defend, but you know as well as I do Mick we are a shambles everywhere and these cunts in charge aren't fit to sack Rafa Benitez. There were mitigating circumstances attached to last seasons fuck up, but big mitigating circumstances and they still need to be taken into consideration and they are still here....that is why I wanted Rafa to stay and our 'Custodians' to fuck off.

Look at us now, we sack a manager weeks ago with little or no idea of a replacement, how to get one and why he should be appointed, other than reasons that certainly wont be in the best interests of LFC, that is why I'm not exactly condoning but certainly not criticising any threads that could be construed as anti-Roy....because I'm not anti-Roy, he's a great manager for Fulham and that's where he should stay. He would be THEIR appointment, that is the issue for most I think.

Some see only Black and White, others see things in shades of Grey.

GH's mean league position was roughly the same as Rafa. He didn't leave us in 7th place either. He was sacked for 4th. It wasn't that long ago either. Simples.

If he wasn't sacked for footballing reasons like people say he wasn't then he should have been.

I'd argue like many others, probably till we are blue in the face, that one bad season, which nobody is denying, did not warrant the sack like you and others believe.

I really think the club have fucked up by letting Rafa go, just like they fucked up when they didn't give Kenny the chance to rest twenty years ago.

I believe it just sets us back further again. And I'm sick of it.

So the "Fuck off Roy Hodgson" and "Hodgson not on my watch" threads were figments of my imagination after all then.

I'm glad we got that cleared up.

At least those that don't want Hodgson as manager haven't stooped to the admirable levels of calling him a fat cunt as often as they can, which can't be said for many of those that wanted rid of Benitez.

Again, I'm with you on pretty much all of that Mick. As I said, tipping points were earlier for some than others and some criticism was more valid and objective than others.

It SEEMED to me at the time and over a period of time that anyone who dared to try and rationalise things and dissect the stupidity were labelled 'Rafapologists' as they were typing and again, like not everyone being in ART a blert, not everyone in the 'opposing' camp could see no wrong either.

It was just that there were some real agenda driven, well, quite frankly silly posts on here that just needed to be challenged otherwise they would have passed into truth, legend and folklore.

You know as well as I do Mick that if Rafa had a team of crack lawyers monitoring this site as it appears Cecil has, then your mate Al would have to tell his Cart AND his Horse to pay for those legal damages every single time he wrote FACT...and quicker than he could type 'litigious'.

You ask have I been as vocal in my criticism of those hruling uncalled for abuse at Hodgson?....well I haven't and I'll tell you for why.

I'm not a 'Rafapologist', maybe 'centre-left Rafa should stay for now progressive party' but no more than that....but any abuse 'aimed' at Roy Hodgson is alot more about the Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse than him, he is a symptom, not a cause, people have no issue with him as a man, or a manager, just they don't want him appointed by Hicks, Gillett and Purslow because those starting threads like "Roy Hodgson fuck off" trusted Rafa to do right by the club more than they do or ever did these cunts running the show.

THAT is why I didn't want Rafa gone, because I trusted him more than I do Purslow or the rest and I fear a period of revolving door managers. He would be their appointment, guilt by assocation and I dont want anyone appointed by them managing this club....that is why I contribute to such threads, not because I dislike Hodgson but because it's what he represents and WHO he represents.

I wanted Rafa to outlast the cunts for little or no reason more than that. Had we been a properly run ship and had Rafa been sacked for footballing reasons, then last seasons shambles would have been hard to defend, but you know as well as I do Mick we are a shambles everywhere and these cunts in charge aren't fit to sack Rafa Benitez. There were mitigating circumstances attached to last seasons fuck up, but big mitigating circumstances and they still need to be taken into consideration and they are still here....that is why I wanted Rafa to stay and our 'Custodians' to fuck off.

Look at us now, we sack a manager weeks ago with little or no idea of a replacement, how to get one and why he should be appointed, other than reasons that certainly wont be in the best interests of LFC, that is why I'm not exactly condoning but certainly not criticising any threads that could be construed as anti-Roy....because I'm not anti-Roy, he's a great manager for Fulham and that's where he should stay. He would be THEIR appointment, that is the issue for most I think.

That is an excellent post Rob.

Brilliant post.

Fair enough Rob. Some of the insults aimed at Rafa was way over the top' date=' but people were shouting out long before the ART thing. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think the same shite wouldn't have happened regardless of ART. It was a term used on a forum and one I make no secret of using to wind UEM up.

What about some of the stuff that's being written on here about Hodgson ? A man as far as I know has nothing but respect throughout the footballing world. I'll bet my right arm that until he started to be linked with us 99.99% of people on here had no problem with him. Yet now he's been firmly linked with us, he's suddenly by some become public enemy number one.

Have you been as vocal in your criticism of those hurling uncalled for abuse at Hodgson ? A man who hasn't officially got the job yet. Or is it acceptable because of the man he's reportedly replacing ?

As I said Rob. It seems to have become a crime on here to want a change of manager.[/quote']

Whoa!!! who is throwing abuse at Hodgson. I don't think I has seen one disrespectful post about Roy personally. Ok there was a thread entitled fuck off but even that I doubt was targeted at the man.

I have huge respect for him as a coach and massive respect for his varied experience around the minor leagues of Europe. He has more football knowledge in the tip of his little finger than I have in my brain.

I do however reserve the right to say he is not qualified to be manager of Liverpool as is only being brought in as he will not make huge demands upon the finances of the owners and cannot be used a a wedge between the board and the fans.

He has never won a major trophy and is in his 63rd year.

He has shown no aptitude for success in the premier league and plays a style of football which is regressive at best.

He has won a handful of away games over the course of two seasons and his greatest achievement appears to be guiding Fulham to defeat in The runners up cup.

If someone gave give me one good football reason why he should be brought to a club which should be challenging for titles and champions leagues I will listen.

I suspect however you will say that we can't compete and will have to settle for 6th and 7th. I can't and that's why I cannot support the appointment.

This thread is fucking pathetic. At a time when the club is being royally fucked in the arse, Purslow trying to censor everyone and feeding his lapdogs info, our support is being split by people who can't even get over the manager situation. It's pathetic. Both sides of this 'argument' (and I use that term lightly) should hang their heads in shame. The club is fucked but people care more about point scoring on an Internet forum making shit threads such as this and sly digs at others. Wake the fuck up for crying out loud. There is more important issues than your ego's.

If Roy does come in, whoopdedo we have a 'yes man' at the club. People will automatically turn on him and he will face a backlash from some 'fans who will label him disgraceful things without realising how and why we are in the situation we are currently in.

Rafa's gone, Roy looks like he's coming in, (even though I want Kenny) why don't, instead of purposly slagging each other off, we all turn our full attention to the owners now the manager situation looks set to be resolved. That Rawk kit is gathering pace and SoS have their march on 4th July.

Rise above the shite!

I don't entirely agree with all of what you wrote there Rob but, it's as well argued post as I've read on here lately.

Maybe one day we'll have that drink and we can discuss all things LFC away from the forum.

I'd argue like many others, probably till we are blue in the face, that one bad season, which nobody is denying, did not warrant the sack like you and others believe.

I really think the club have fucked up by letting Rafa go, just like they fucked up when they didn't give Kenny the chance to rest twenty years ago.

I believe it just sets us back further again. And I'm sick of it.

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't time will tell.

All this one bad season mantra though.....

04-05. Istanbul. exceeded all expectations after a dreadful league season. Exceeded expectations and then some for what we had in August 04.

05-06. Excellent season. My favourite under Rafa by a mile, real progress made FA Cup win and 82 points, good football and the record breaking 11 clean sheet run was unbelieveable. Exceeded expectations again.

06-07. Moderate season. Finished 3rd which is where you would have expected us to finish really so we met expectations. Got to Athens but fucked it up and it masked some real problems we had like shocking away form not scoring away until December in the league in open play. There were cracks appearing then. Met expectations.

07-08. An average league season throughout helped by a good late run which helped us get 4th place after being 7th in January after West Ham beat us if I remember rightly. Good run in Europe kept our season alive but ultimately failed. Just about met expectations.

08-09. 86 points was an excellent achievement but we blew the best chance we are ever likely to have to win the title for the forseeable future when we should have been home and dry with United playing catch up with their WCC exertions. We let them off the hook big time. Poor football until March onwards and yet another great late season run with performances and results being arguably as good as anything since the 80's. Exceeded expectations but ultimately hollow because of what might have been.

09-10. An abomination of a season which saw 19 defeats overall and some disgusting performances being as bad as anything witnessed even under Souness. Embarrassing CL and FA Cup exits makes it as bad a season since 93-94. Only just scraping above Everton in the table and the lowest position for 11 years after our highest for 7 years. Fell way below expectations.

So you could argue that we had three seasons under Rafa were we exceeded expectations. Two were we met them and got the minimum required one were we fell short. It wasn't as if we had five good seasons and one bad one. Some may argue that the 86 point season which I personally rate lower than the 82 point season as a bit of a letdown because we let United off before Christmas when it was ours for the taking if we had been a little braver. It was poor fare for 6 months then everything clicked and fell into place. That will always be a what might have been season for me.

05-06. Excellent season. My favourite under Rafa by a mile, real progress made FA Cup win and 82 points, good football and the record breaking 11 clean sheet run was unbelieveable. Exceeded expectations again.

Agreed, that season was ace.

I reckon if you added Torres to that side we would've won the league.

Whoa!!! who is throwing abuse at Hodgson. I don't think I has seen one disrespectful post about Roy personally. Ok there was a thread entitled fuck off but even that I doubt was targeted at the man.

I have huge respect for him as a coach and massive respect for his varied experience around the minor leagues of Europe. He has more football knowledge in the tip of his little finger than I have in my brain.

I do however reserve the right to say he is not qualified to be manager of Liverpool as is only being brought in as he will not make huge demands upon the finances of the owners and cannot be used a a wedge between the board and the fans.

He has never won a major trophy and is in his 63rd year.

He has shown no aptitude for success in the premier league and plays a style of football which is regressive at best.

He has won a handful of away games over the course of two seasons and his greatest achievement appears to be guiding Fulham to defeat in The runners up cup.

If someone gave give me one good football reason why he should be brought to a club which should be challenging for titles and champions leagues I will listen.

I suspect however you will say that we can't compete and will have to settle for 6th and 7th. I can't and that's why I cannot support the appointment.

One of the reasons I wanted Rafa gone was because I felt we should have been competing for a top four finish and we should have gone further better in the domestic cups. So this coming season I'll be expecting the same from Hodgson. A top four challenge and better runs in the domestic cups. So your suspicions are wrong.