You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's contract and pay off terms

Hermes

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question, if you are in the same job for 6 years, £150k/year, and if you failed in the 6th year and get sacked, what sort of compensation do you think you should get paid?

Id get 6 months wages and garden leave, as thats whats in my contract. Again, Imsimply saying its his entitlement and therefore you cant dig it up as something wrong, since all managers do the same. Many people want Jose to manage us, do you htink he slipped out of Chelsea with no money ?

Can we not call the new position as "Football Consultant"?

Like Iain Dowie.

Obviously some companies have tried and got away with similar, but if Benitez could prove (and he could) that the 'Football Consultant' was undertaking the same duties as he used to he'd have a field day.

If the club were to hand the managers duties to someone already on the staff, on top of their normal role (ie Kenny being Youth Ambassador but also running the team) they could get away with it as technically they'd just be merging Kenny's roles. A lot of companies do this as a cost cutting measure.

Of course this is all balls, as football is a law unto itself and is completely removed from normal life.

Rafa used the situation to get what he wants - whether you call this as "cheating" or not, I don't know. But, he got what he wanted and I still cannot believe the two cunts offered him that.

Still, being a contractor myself, I wouldn't begrudge him. End of the day, you negotiate your contract and it is up to you on how well you do it.

But then, please don't compare football with normal day to day jobs, in terms of compensation. They are different by country miles. In fact, they are two worlds apart.

I agree, but the law is the law and a contract is a contract.

if the yanks didnt want Rafa they shouldnt have given him a new one. Alternativly, if ythey thoguth a year ago he was worth it, maybe they should stand by him and see through their plans.

Id get 6 months wages and garden leave, as thats whats in my contract. Again, Imsimply saying its his entitlement and therefore you cant dig it up as something wrong, since all managers do the same. Many people want Jose to manage us, do you htink he slipped out of Chelsea with no money ?

And you firmly believe you will still get the 6 months wages and garden leave, if you do a very shit job in the 6th year and get "sacked"? You may want to read your contract again mate.

I don't why you are questioning me, I've already said I won't begrudge him as it is normal for a manager to get paid off. All I said was I didn't agree with it but I accept it.

Are you serious? I doubt if there are any that haven't.

I think not. I presume you are thinking about the negative side of things there. Im sure every football managers contract contains performance related bonus clauses in the positive sense.

Oh great, I've got pedants.

I doubt any manager would sign a contract with a clause which says "if you don't make fourth place we can sack you without any payoff".

Better now? You knew what I meant anyway. I've a good mind to neg you both.

Obviously some companies have tried and got away with similar, but if Benitez could prove (and he could) that the 'Football Consultant' was undertaking the same duties as he used to he'd have a field day.

If the club were to hand the managers duties to someone already on the staff, on top of their normal role (ie Kenny being Youth Ambassador but also running the team) they could get away with it as technically they'd just be merging Kenny's roles. A lot of companies do this as a cost cutting measure.

Of course this is all balls, as football is a law unto itself and is completely removed from normal life.

Can we not make the new "Football Consultant" perform a dance at the start or end of the game? This way, his job differs from what Rafa did.

Fully agree with your last statement. Football is bollocks at times.

Guest The Chimp

If a manager was not confident or happy enough to sign a contract agreeing that finishing lower than sixth (and I'm being generous here) was cause for dismisal, why would you offer him a new five year deal in the first place. If said manager was not confident he could put in a title challenge why not look to appoint someone different? Now, I'm not saying that to have a pop at Benitez at all - genuinely - but simply to question the negotiating that went on. The thing is though, that even if such a clause did exist, in the present climate it wouldn't be an open and shut case anyway, as I'm sure Benitez lawyer's would point to promises of funding being broken which made the initial agreement void (the means by which a top six place could be assured when agreeing to the contract were withdrawn, making the task more difficult and one which their client would not have agreed to).

Again, I' sit in my study pondering shite (how would Jigsaw have nobbled Fat Sham etc), and I've absolutely no idea if a clause is there or not, or of specific changes in circumstances, what promises (if any) were broken.

What I do know, is that after getting rid of Coco, we were told that Purslow was the real deal, this (contract negotiations) if I'm right in pointing the finger here (?) plus the SOS debarcle would seem to paint an alltogether different picture. If I'm completely wrong about CP I'm more than happy to hold my hands up.

I doubt any manager would sign a contract with a clause which says "if you don't make fourth place we can sack you without any payoff".

Nobody has said they would. I'm asking how he can be entitled to £16m after abject failure. There has to be some performance related clauses, otherwise we could be paying him £16m to get the club relegated.

Guest The Chimp
Nobody has said they would. I'm asking how he can be entitled to £16m after abject failure. There has to be some performance related clauses, otherwise we could be paying him £16m to get the club relegated.

That's exactly what I've been pondering.

Just read your opening post again and see if you were specific enough if that wasn't what you intended.

Agreed. As I said above, football is worlds apart from normal day to day jobs.

I just want to know RRT's view on it as he seems to think getting a compensation for getting sacked is normal for everyone.

i think that there is a difference between the sack and being made redundant generally, but that in fooite terms, they are the same thing.

And you firmly believe you will still get the 6 months wages and garden leave, if you do a very shit job in the 6th year and get "sacked"? You may want to read your contract again mate.

I don't why you are questioning me, I've already said I won't begrudge him as it is normal for a manager to get paid off. All I said was I didn't agree with it but I accept it.

Yeah quite a few contracts are like that, it all depends on the role you have. For mine i'd get 3 months pay as compensation and to give me time to find another job.

Whether we like it or not the rule in football is if you get sacked they pay out the remainder of your contract. It's crap but its law.

i would yes, as its in my contract.

As ive said, i believe there are differences, legally and I could be wrong, being sacked and being made redundant.

Its depends on your length of service and contract. but also the reasons for teh dismissal.

essentially though, I agree with you, in that I accept it. As Id expect it if it were in my contract.

We're talking about contract employment, not permanent employment. If your fixed term contract is terminated without you being in breach of it, you expect a payout. That's the same regardless of what you're employed to do.

aye thats it Zig.

That £16m thing makes no sense. Surely that figure is actually related to the length of his contract remaining, like if they sack him, they have to pay up the remainder of his contract or something along those lines.

I believe he's on £4m a year, and has 4 years of the contract remaining.

His contract supposedly says that if they give him the boot before the contract's up, they have to pay the outstanding balance within 24 hours.

So if they sack him this summer, they pay out the £16m that would have been his salary for the next 4 years.

If they sack him next summer, they'll have to pay out £12m that would have been his salary for the following 3 years - but they'd have already paid him the other £4m as salary for 2010/2011 season by then, so no money saved...

From what I've heard (rumours) Rafa already has ground for "constructive Dismal" over the Alonso transfer & lack of transfer funds, which is said to be in his contract, his contract being that water tight... so why is Rafa wanting to stay? maybe it because he wants to do well by the club, wanting to finish his project? But lets blame Rafa for getting no funding over the last two years! Getting the plug pulled in the middle of building the squad.

My fear is, if Rafa leaves... this will leaves the wolfs to raid the chicken coop, with no manager, the Bankers can sell players knowing no one will complain, no one stopping them kicking up a fuss, they will just take their time employing a new third rate manager, know they themselves are only their for the short term, simply bring in a yes man, sell player to pay interest payments

Theres club out there wishing they had a manager who cares... fighting for a transfer kitty, a lot of Internet TART's are no better than the shit media with spread all false crap about Rafa, having lots sight of who is the real Enemy, the owners & bankers.

Then again some people just like to moan because they got fuck all else to moan about, so when Rafa got... players sold to pay interest payments they may just wake up, then they moan about that, blame the new third rate manager, because it him that will be in the media.

Rant over

That £16m thing makes no sense. Surely that figure is actually related to the length of his contract remaining, like if they sack him, they have to pay up the remainder of his contract or something along those lines.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. In which case it would be the same as every other contract.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. In which case it would be the same as every other contract.

I'm sure that's right. If there is a difference there's probably a clause making it clear that the pay-off is made straight away without the haggling that usually happens when managers get sacked.

But there's not much point speculating because we know nothing about the termination terms except the headline-grabbing titbit Purslow leaked to the media.