You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina's new deal.

ratcatcher

Have I missed the thread!? Anyway, well deserved and if he was playing for Madrid would be Spain's number 1.

Pepe Reina’s rise rewarded by improved deal | Liverpool - Times Online

Liverpool are set to reward Pepe Reina for his standing as one of Europe’s finest goalkeepers by offering him a new contract and a pay rise.

Reina, who joined Liverpool from Villarreal in the summer of 2005 for £6 million, has since gone on to establish himself as first-choice goalkeeper at Anfield and is viewed as the main challenger to Iker Casillas’s position with Spain.

In three out of the past four seasons Reina has won the Golden Gloves award for keeping the most clean sheets in the Barclays Premier League and Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, is keen to tie up a deal securing the 27-year-old’s long-term future.

Reina signed a five-year contract in June 2007 and even though that deal does not expire until 2012, Liverpool are ready to offer him a two-year extension, complete with a salary increase, that would see him remain at the club until 2014.

Related Links

Arsenal youngsters shine brightly

Benítez youth policy still work in progress

Fábio Aurélio is another player who is likely to enter contract talks with Liverpool shortly. The 30-year-old defender, who has been called up by Brazil for their friendly match against England to be held in Qatar next month, is out of contract next summer.

Despite a string of injuries that have plagued him throughout his time at Anfield, Benítez still regards him as a valuable member of his squad and will look to ensure that Aurélio cannot walk away from Liverpool on a Bosman free transfer next June.

Liverpool have already concluded contract negotiations with one player. Damien Plessis, the France Under-21 midfield player, put pen to paper on a two-year contract extension before last night’s Carling Cup tie against Arsenal.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I missed the thread!? Anyway, well deserved and if he was playing for Madrid would be Spain's number 1.

Pepe Reina’s rise rewarded by improved deal | Liverpool - Times Online

Liverpool are set to reward Pepe Reina for his standing as one of Europe’s finest goalkeepers by offering him a new contract and a pay rise.

Reina, who joined Liverpool from Villarreal in the summer of 2005 for £6 million, has since gone on to establish himself as first-choice goalkeeper at Anfield and is viewed as the main challenger to Iker Casillas’s position with Spain.

In three out of the past four seasons Reina has won the Golden Gloves award for keeping the most clean sheets in the Barclays Premier League and Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, is keen to tie up a deal securing the 27-year-old’s long-term future.

Reina signed a five-year contract in June 2007 and even though that deal does not expire until 2012, Liverpool are ready to offer him a two-year extension, complete with a salary increase, that would see him remain at the club until 2014.

Related Links

Arsenal youngsters shine brightly

Benítez youth policy still work in progress

Fábio Aurélio is another player who is likely to enter contract talks with Liverpool shortly. The 30-year-old defender, who has been called up by Brazil for their friendly match against England to be held in Qatar next month, is out of contract next summer.

Despite a string of injuries that have plagued him throughout his time at Anfield, Benítez still regards him as a valuable member of his squad and will look to ensure that Aurélio cannot walk away from Liverpool on a Bosman free transfer next June.

Liverpool have already concluded contract negotiations with one player. Damien Plessis, the France Under-21 midfield player, put pen to paper on a two-year contract extension before last night’s Carling Cup tie against Arsenal.

Given that he is another Spanish dude out of his home country for several years, I expect him to say thanks but no thanks. Barcelona, 15 million pounds, and they are set for the next 5 years. And our owners can pay a bit towards the refinancing. If you add Mascherano to this, then the owners are just fine. And we will officially be a selling club...

Given that he is another Spanish dude out of his home country for several years, I expect him to say thanks but no thanks. Barcelona, 15 million pounds, and they are set for the next 5 years. And our owners can pay a bit towards the refinancing. If you add Mascherano to this, then the owners are just fine. And we will officially be a selling club...

He may well one day return 'home' but I dont see any reason why he'd say thanks but no thanks right now.

Players like reina and torres will probably only leave the club if our aspirations and expectations slip below theirs.

Mascherano has had his head turned by barca imo and its that which is possibly making him stall on any new deal if in fact, one has been offered to him.

I don't think Pepe is the type to walk away now. He seems attached to the club and have a genuine affinity with the fans.

He'll be here a good few years yet, before heading home to finish his career.

I agree that the only reason he'll leave in the next few years will be if he is forced out (i.e. to raise funds) or our ambitions fall well below what he deserves.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I have a feeling he may not be here next season and the club are looking to be seen to be doing the right thing by him.

And your basing this on what exactly?

Concur. Many of his attributes are even better than those two rascals.

Agreed, he's been better than Casillas for a while now

To me, Reina seems one of the 'most grateful for the chance we given him' and most committed in the squad.

I'd be very suprised if he decided to go anywhere.

I felt exactly the same about Xabi. I don't think we can be certain of anything with Rafa in charge, never mind those duplicitous cunts that own the club.

True about Rafa, but hopefully he's been forced to learn a lesson from how the Xabi/baby rift escalated.

Why has everything got be about Xabi Alonso?

But seems as he's been brought into it, maybe Reina isn't as greedy and won't go behind the clubs back like Xabi did?

See two can play that game

Not that anything will happen anyway

Why has everything got be about Xabi Alonso?

But seems as he's been brought into it, maybe Reina isn't as greedy and won't go behind the clubs back like Xabi did?

See two can play that game

Not that anything will happen anyway

I didn't bring his name into it...

Think the point was that Xabi and Rafa seemed (from what's visible to myself from just going the match) to have a very good relationship - Xabi was the first person Rafa used to call across to get changes relayed to the players on the pitch, the first person he'd talk to after the final whistle for example.

This relationship quickly turned sour and irrepairable- so nothing is guaranteed was Paul's point. And I'd say the catalyst for the breakdown was Alonso being present for his baby being born...and so hopefully Rafa has learnt his lesson....and I'm repeating myself.....

I didn't bring his name into it...

Think the point was that Xabi and Rafa seemed (from what's visible to myself from just going the match) to have a very good relationship - Xabi was the first person Rafa used to call across to get changes relayed to the players on the pitch, the first person he'd talk to after the final whistle for example.

This relationship quickly turned sour and irrepairable- so nothing is guaranteed was Paul's point. And I'd say the catalyst for the breakdown was Alonso being present for his baby being born...and so hopefully Rafa has learnt his lesson....and I'm repeating myself.....

So Rafa is a cunt for wanting a straight answer from one of his key players on the eve of a massive European game?

The same player who would also later initially refuse to play in another crucial qualifying game

Riigght

So Rafa is a cunt for wanting a straight answer from one of his key players on the eve of a massive European game?

Riigght

Fucking hell - just because there's a few people who don't like the manager on here (Rafa's got my full support by the way), you don't have to spin everything into a situation where Rafa did fuck all wrong. It's as annoying as people who use everything that goes on as a stick to beat the manager with.

Rafa fucked up with Alonso in the first instance I reckon. One of his failings is that he's a bit too cold/cool at times.

Put yourself in Alonso's shoes, not exactly easy to give a straight answer when it's choosing between two massive emotional pulls in your life is it?

Fucking hell - just because there's a few people who don't like the manager on here (Rafa's got my full support by the way), you don't have to spin everything into a situation where Rafa did fuck all wrong. It's as annoying as people who use everything that goes on as a stick to beat the manager with.

Rafa fucked up with Alonso in the first instance I reckon. One of his failings is that he's a bit too cold/cool at times.

Put yourself in Alonso's shoes, not exactly easy to give a straight answer when it's choosing between two massive emotional pulls in your life is it?

Your probably right, just does my fucking tit in how keen people seemingly are to believe tittle tattle about Rafa, just because it fits in with what they want to believe

Although I don't think it was beyond reasonable expectations for the club to ask for a straight answer from a player either way in regards to whether they can play or not

And what it has to do with Reina I haven't a clue

You can sell players as well as buy them, you know.

I think the point is most have recently signed new long term deals (like Valdes) or are so entrenched in the club that they aren't going to be ousted (Cassillas).

Valdes signed a new deal until 2014, had his release clause increased to 150 million and has to be on the same sort of wages as Casillas (4-5 million a year). He's always been prone to the odd dodgy moment but it'll take a pretty hefty breakdown for them to get rid by next season.

The only option really for Reina would be Italy, unless he shocked everyone and went to utd.

Your probably right, just does my fucking tit in how keen people seemingly are to believe tittle tattle about Rafa, just because it fits in with what they want to believe

Although I don't think it was beyond reasonable expectations for the club to ask for a straight answer from a player either way in regards to whether they can play or not

And what it has to do with Reina I haven't a clue

It does my head in. Everything turns into the same argument these days. May as well just have one big thread saying "Liverpool Football Club - post your thoughts here".

Anyway, hopefully Reina signs up quickly and that's that sorted.

Edited by cmuller
to keep thing on subject- hopefully

It does my head in. Everything turns into the same argument these days. May as well just have one big thread saying "Liverpool Football Club - post your thoughts here".

Anyway, hopefully Reina signs up quickly and that's that sorted.

Fair comment, your spot on

I was out of order for flying off the handle, which only ever exacerbates threads

Apologies