You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa on The Chief

Paul

Should Mascherano be given a new contract soon?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mascherano be given a new contract soon?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skid, I'd say that Masch needs to have a quiet, and strong, word with his missus.

She may not like living in Liverpool, but she's making a storm out of a teacup. She married a professional footballer, so living in far-flung locations is par for the course.

And no matter what she thinks of a particular city, footballers are so well paid that their family's standard of living doesn't suffer (to put it mildly). Besides, we're not talking about taking an job which entails staying there for a decade or more. Realistically, we're talking just a few years. And after one's playing career is on the inevitable downward spiral, then take the millions you've earned, and then go settle where you WANT to be.

Bottom-line is, he's at one of the biggest and most famous clubs in the world, and is well settled (as a player). So professionally, he's got it made. Put your head down, and your family should support you. If she doesn't mind spending his money, she really shouldn't be throwing a strop about which city its in.

Or else how about she go out and earn a few million a year, and let Masch stay home?

er, no. People who can command what he can will take all sorts of factors into account. Having a happy home life doesn't become less important just because you can rake in a few bob. He might not have the same perspective as you. Not all of our past or present players are absolutely in love with the club you know.

No family man can really be happy and give his all without the full support of his family.

Occasionally, a man has to think about supporting his wife as well.

If, in his opinion, he can get what he's getting now, in every sense, from Barcelona, and make his home life happier and more settled, why wouldn't he?

You're not excused. It wasn't a misogynistic comment, you're way off base with that. So bollocks to you, too.

I don't claim to know anything about his wife. Simply responding to the public reports (repeated multiple times, and put out by Masch and/or his agent) that his wife is pressuring Masch to leave the club, because she doesn't particularly care for the city of Liverpool, and its .... gasp .... weather.

If I have misinterpreted those public reports, or just made them up, feel free to point out where.

Football is his profession, one where he has only a decade and a half to make good on (as a player). Thats a very short span for a profession. He happens to be very good at it, and can claim to have finally hit the jackpot (professionally) by:

1) being at one of the biggest and most succesful clubs in the world

2) being well settled (professionally-speaking) within that club, and being seen as valuable asset by them

3) earning mucho $$$$

What Masch is doing now, is benefiting his entire family and their future financial security. Thats a no-brainer.

Sometimes, you just have to stop bitching about "what if" and just admit - "The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'm where I want to be, lets knuckle down and do this!"

No family man can really be happy and give his all without the full support of his family.

You're telling me that its ok that she's pressuring him to upset the applecart on all of this, because ...... she doesn't like the weather?

Boo bloody hoo.

I don't care if this comes across as not politically-correct. It is what it is.

So you're saying, if it wasn't for that greedy, ungrateful wife of his, everything would be fine and dandy? I don't buy that, and I would like to think that Masch and his wife are discussing their situation sensibly, like any other married couple. You seem to think that the wife is forcing the move without good reason, and that he just needs to "have a word" to set her straight. I don't automatically believe that, regardless of what he press reports say.

So you're saying, if it wasn't for that greedy, ungrateful wife of his, everything would be fine and dandy? I don't buy that, and I would like to think that Masch and his wife are discussing their situation sensibly, like any other married couple. You seem to think that the wife is forcing the move without good reason, and that he just needs to "have a word" to set her straight. I don't automatically believe that, regardless of what he press reports say.

If she is the one pressuring him to move, for non-essential reasons like "I don't like the weather", then yes.

I don't care to think any more deeply about Masch's relationship with his wife. I'm not going to sit down and over-analyse the situation. Simply responding to the EXACT REPORTS put out into the public domain, by MASCH AND/OR HIS AGENT.

Is it the whole story? I don't know, nor do I care. I'm not his nanny. If he chose to bring up his domestic life in public, in terms of how its affecting his professional contribution, then I'm just going to comment on what HE said, and why it SHOULDN'T affect his professional contribution.

In a nutshell, its a weak reason. If its a false reason (as you're implying), then poor play by Masch for making a false smokescreen. If it really IS whats happening, the shame on his wife (for the reasons already elucidated above)

Simple.

Occasionally, a man has to think about supporting his wife as well.

Who would argue otherwise? I'm not.

But, isn't that exactly what he's doing? He has worked hard his entire life to excel in a very competitive profession, and he is (I presume) making his family financially secure for the rest of their lives.

If there are other things he's not doing, which as a husband and father he should be, then a change of city isn't going to make a blind bit of difference.

If, in his opinion, he can get what he's getting now, in every sense, from Barcelona, and make his home life happier and more settled, why wouldn't he?

I don't get that. How can :

"miserable weather", or

"you're earning mega bucks, and I'm spending them, but all things considered, I still don't like spending 8 months a year in this city"

be a justifiable reason for one party to basically up and leave, and force the other to throw their hard-earned professional success up in the air.

Remember, there is NO guarantee that he will be as settled (as a player) if he moves, no matter how nice the city, the club, etc. Every situation is different. Masch has already had a taste of being the roving footballing troubadour, wandering from club to club across the world (Argentina, to Corinthians in Brazil, to West Ham's bench). Witness his obvious joy when he finally got himself settled in Liverpool - finally, a big club, on the biggest stage, where he's settled, his future is settled, and he can just buckle down and concentrate on what he's good at.

We've all seen cases of where a player lets his spouse essentially dictate his club moves for him (on completely spurious grounds), and seen the result. Ahem, David Beckham anyone?

This isn't a case of wife abuse, or a career-obsessed man dragging his family into the dumps.

Sometimes, you just have to call a spade, a spade ....

If she is the one pressuring him to move, for non-essential reasons like "I don't like the weather", then yes.

I don't care to think any more deeply about Masch's relationship with his wife. I'm not going to sit down and over-analyse the situation. Simply responding to the EXACT REPORTS put out into the public domain, by MASCH AND/OR HIS AGENT.

Is it the whole story? I don't know, nor do I care. I'm not his nanny. If he chose to bring up his domestic life in public, in terms of how its affecting his professional contribution, then I'm just going to comment on what HE said, and why it SHOULDN'T affect his professional contribution.

In a nutshell, its a weak reason. If its a false reason (as you're implying), then poor play by Masch for making a false smokescreen. If it really IS whats happening, the shame on his wife (for the reasons already elucidated above)

Simple.

Allright, I'll trust you on the exact reports in the public domain and that. Is it the whole story, you ask. Probably not, in my opinion - Which is exactly my point.

By the way, I think we should offer her a new contract. I mean him. Masch. Not his wife.

Wouldn't be surprised if he picked up a ban for that slap tonight.

My stream was a bit inconsistant so I missed this, what happened? I think our players are really starting to lose their discipline and ahead of the Chelsea match in a few week, can I just say I really welcome it. Someone may permanently injure Drogba with a bit of luck.

If, or when, he does go. I can't say i'd be that arsed about it. Masch was brought into this world to sit in front of the back four and give the players in front of him that extra freedom. He doesn't do that for us.

So if we can bring someone in who has a bit more footballing ability who can also get stuck in(Y. Toure would be ideal) i don't see that as being the worst thing in the World.