You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is seriously starting to piss me off, especially those guys in the white make up and the bed sheets. Every fucking day these cunts are popping up spoiling a perfectly good walk on my dinner. What the fuck are they ??? if they are meant to be statues then they're the first fucking statues I've ever seen that wave, collect money and hand out rancid sweets to kids. I have a small amount of respect for big issue sellers as they are at least making an effort, getting there mags etc but these cunts and the like can fuck right off. There are plenty of bums around aswell, ones that play instruments I can abide with but the ones that expect me to part with cash without entertaining me or endearing me whatsoever, well I'm purchasing this T-Shirt for them such folk.

homeless_340.jpg

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

At first I was in awe of these idiots, because I thought they were on stilts, standing perfectly still, and that's quite admirable. Until one day I saw the wind blow up to reveal a stool. A stool! So you white up your face and stand on a stool in a long frock? Give me my 50p back you talentless fuckwit.

'Professional beggars' earning up to £200 a night to supplement their day job | Mail Online

'Professional' beggars earning up to £200 a night to supplement their day jobs

By Sophie Borland

Last updated at 11:05 AM on 11th August 2009

* Comments (145)

* Add to My Stories

Beggar on the streets

Begging the question: Are all those on the streets really in need?

The sight of a person in tatty clothes begging on the street is enough to elicit money from many well-meaning passers-by.

But, it was claimed last night, some 'beggars' could be office workers with homes who are topping up their salaries by earning £200 a night from donations.

Employees are said to be returning from their day jobs and dressing up in rags to spend their evenings pocketing spare change.

One office worker with a 9 to 5 job said she planned to use the money earned by begging outside cash points and shops to pay for a new kitchen in her flat.

Last night, police warned that growing numbers of people were turning to professional begging to stave off the recession by earning hundreds of pounds tax-free a night.

Officers in Leicester have launched a crackdown after discovering that none of the 20 beggars they had cautioned in the last fortnight was homeless.

Sergeant Adrian Underwood said some beggars could earn up to £200 on a Friday or Saturday night.

If they netted this amount twice every weekend, they could earn as much as £21,000 a year on top of their normal salary 'We have intelligence-there is a woman who is begging because she wants a new kitchen for her flat,' said Sergeant Underwood.

'A lot of well-intentioned people see someone begging and think they are deserving causes.

Gangs of organised beggars from Eastern Europe congregate outside Harrods department store

Second income: Some beggars are making a profession of it

'Would they give them money if they knew that person had just come out of a flat, was on benefits and had food in the larder?'

Previously Leicestershire Police announced a 'three strikes and you're out' approach after begging emerged as a major concern for people living, working and shopping in the city.

Beggars are given a formal warning and their details taken by officers. If they are seen again, a second warning is issued and if caught a third time, they can be arrested and prosecuted.

Toni Soni, the head of hostel services at Leicester council, said joint operations with the police have found no beggars to be homeless.

'There are people who are actually professional beggars who are doing it to make a living,' he said.

'If we did find they were rough sleepers, we would try to engage them in our support services.'

Beggars in London can earn up to £300 a day figures from Westminster council revealed in 2007.

The Tory-run authority urged people to give money to homeless charities rather than beggars.

Read more: 'Professional beggars' earning up to £200 a night to supplement their day job | Mail Online

I was in Maghull today and there was a bloke sat there playing the accordian; and ruling on it too I'd say, with me obvious good ear for quality accordian playing.

I hit the brother up with 80p or something.

I always give money to buskers; who could possibly object to a bit of music as you walk past instead of "spare some change mister?"

I work right in the heart of a town centre, our problem isn't so much homless people or statues, it's charity collectors for the big organizations.

Only walk 20 seconds from the office to get my lunch and in that time your asked by about three people if they could have a minute of your time so they can pile guilt on you in exchange for your bank details. I'm not even exagerating. It's EVERYDAY

It winds me up, but I guess they're not there to wind me up, just doing their jobs...that their getting paid for..... hhhmmmm

I work right in the heart of a town centre, our problem isn't so much homless people or statues, it's charity collectors for the big organizations.

Only walk 20 seconds from the office to get my lunch and in that time your asked by about three people if they could have a minute of your time so they can pile guilt on you in exchange for your bank details. I'm not even exagerating. It's EVERYDAY

It winds me up, but I guess they're not there to wind me up, just doing their jobs...that their getting paid for..... hhhmmmm

Thats very true, they tend to be fucking hippies as well.

I've seen people shout in their face 'FUCK OFF' a few times, which is a bit harsh like. I just look at them, smile and mouth 'No' and shake teh head.

Thats very true, they tend to be fucking hippies as well.

I've seen people shout in their face 'FUCK OFF' a few times, which is a bit harsh like. I just look at them, smile and mouth 'No' and shake teh head.

I'd never loose face by saying something like that to them, I just smile and decline politly but I hear peoples reactions to them all day and I've heard quite a few fuck offs in my time.

It's not the fact they ask you that's annoying, it's the fact during a short walk you're asked by so bloody many of them.

I'd never loose face by saying something like that to them, I just smile and decline politly but I hear peoples reactions to them all day and I've heard quite a few fuck offs in my time.

It's not the fact they ask you that's annoying, it's the fact during a short walk you're asked by so bloody many of them.

Some of them are massive dicks though. Asking is one thing; being a dick about it is entirely another. Trying to slalom through those and the religious drones that are generally in the same area can be a pain in the ass.

Some of them are massive dicks though. Asking is one thing; being a dick about it is entirely another. Trying to slalom through those and the religious drones that are generally in the same area can be a pain in the ass.

Yeah, you do get the ones who look at you like scum after you've declined their invitation and I've nearly questioned a few if they themselves give dd payments. But again, not worth showing yourself up over as it's hardly a big issue (geddit?) not worth the hastle I guess

The worst ones over the above who great you like long lost friend.

"Alright mate! How you doing?!?" that type of thing ruffles my feathers somewhat cronic

Yeah, fucking chuggers are the worst.

It's bad enough being asked to donate money to charity in the first place; I'll pick and choose the charities I think are most deserving of my cash, thanks, not the ones who unleash a phalanx of faux-smiley student cunts at me every lunctime.

That the people who approach you are doing it on a commission basis, rather than out of the goodness of their heart, makes them fucking leeches.

If I could bring in just one law, it would be legal to shoot chuggers in the face.

I resent the guys who hang around the washbasins in pub toilets with their half full bottles of various aftershaves etc,.they always have a saucer with a pound coin on ,the implication being,that is the going rate.i try and just wash my hands and give then a polite nod,but I do find it slightly intimidating.

Yeah, you do get the ones who look at you like scum after you've declined their invitation and I've nearly questioned a few if they themselves give dd payments. But again, not worth showing yourself up over as it's hardly a big issue (geddit?) not worth the hastle I guess

The worst ones over the above who great you like long lost friend.

"Alright mate! How you doing?!?" that type of thing ruffles my feathers somewhat cronic

Most of them go through a training technique to make you feel good about yourself and then they worm their way into your pocket, thats the sickening thing about it, 90% of them are only in it for commision and not the charity.

Most of them go through a training technique to make you feel good about yourself and then they worm their way into your pocket, thats the sickening thing about it, 90% of them are only in it for commision and not the charity.

Is it any more sickening than working in a sales centre for any retail company though? At least they are getting paid to try and sell you charity, instead of the latest upgrade to something you didn't actually need in the first place.

If you have to have a job to pay the bills, and meithering people to give a bit to charity is one of the options, is it really that bad a thing?

The argument about big bosses for charity has a similar twang to it. If you're the type of guy that can pull in a £90K salary then surely it's a better thing to apply those skills for Oxfam than for BP?

It's more like 100%. It's a job. What's so sickening about people working for a living?

Edit - I posted this without seeing Stu Monty's work.