You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Martinez

Faustus

I watched Swansea play Fulham in the cup yesterday on the telly and I have to say I was really impressed with what I saw. Some of the football that Swansea played was outstanding and if that lad Gower took either of his chances in the first half, the probably would have (and deservedly) won. A couple of playes caught my eye like Scotland, Dyer, Gomez and Rangel and I think that some of them deffo have the ability to play at a higher level.

It got me thinking that Martinez has done a cracking job down there in getting them promoted, taking them to the verge of the play-offs and combining good football with a steely resiliance. It wouldn't surprise me if they made it up through the play-offs this season.

The fact that this is the fella's first job in management makes his achievements all the more remarkable and he looks like a bit of a natural. One to keep an eye out for in a few years time perhaps?

Was Rangel the right back? He looked very good yesterday.

They were very impressive from what I saw. They had the confidence to keep the ball even when they were put under pressure.

Yeah that was him.

My only criticism is that at times, it was as if they were trying to walk it into the net, but apart from that, they looked a really good side.

I was at the game in Swansea yesterday and Swansea were much better than Fulham. The football was a joy to watch, but I agree at times they tried to pass the ball into the net. Fulham were beaten in every position. Danny Murphy, Simon Davies and Andy Johnson couldn't get a touch. They looked better at the end when they brought Zamora on.

Matinez has the Swans playing good football. Dyer played well on the wing.

I too have been impressed with him. I remember him from when he first came over to England to play, as one of Wigan's "three amigos" along with Diaz and the other one who's name escapes me.

At the time, I assumed that he would be here for a couple of seasons and then head off back to Spain. I never imagined that he'd still be over here years later and managing, let alone making as promising a start as he has done. His team play good football and based on what I've seen so far, he could have a good managerial career ahead of him.

He was interviewed on Football Focus yesterday - he comes across as a remarkably sound bloke, witty, intelligent and thoroughly decent. He's still learning his trade in the top job but as has been said above, maybe one to watch for the future.

I think he is a good little manager and to be honest if Rafa left I'd not mind a young up and coming manager with the right support around him. A good example of this is Guardiola at Barcelona. Swansea play very attractive football and the manager is very popular with the players.

I think it's perhaps a little early to be going that far in Martinez's case but in general I agree with your point. Pep has definitely made a great start at Barca but even as a player he read the game superbly well. I never saw him as heading into management back when he was playing but looking back, I have no idea why not.

Edited by RoboRiise

This is the first time I have seen his name on here at all but he is certainly someone who we should be keeping tabs on - cos if we don't some one else will. Imo if Rafa were to leave we could do a lot worse - even at such a young age on the basis of 'if your'e good enough you're old enough'

For that scenario I think it would be important to have experience around him to support him but one thing which worries me about the poss of Rafa leaving would be we may lose all the Spaniards - not if we gave Martinez the job we wouldn't.

He is bright, talks sense (hes often the pundit on Skys Spanish coverage), clearly a man of integrity and plays the game the right way. As I say i really rate him.

Theres a link below which may be of interest for anyone wanting background (OK I don't like the next Arsene Wenger bit but the point is made!!)

Roberto Martinez: The next Arsene Wenger? - Football League, Football - The Independent

By the way I quite like Jason Scotland their striker too.

Now i am not saying Rafa should leave or that i want him to but if he did this is the type of manager I'd want - not Mourinho or many of the other possibilities people throw up.

Certainly Martinez if he keeps going as he is and with a bit of luck could be a big name in a few years...he's making no mistake and learning quietly in a backwater, walking before he can run. he's had that Swansea team playing progressively better, more 'continental' type possession, patience and skills based football ever since he arrived. I hope they don't go up this year though - another season of building and then they wouldn't disgrace themselves at all in the Prem.

Guest Ibetitsme7

I notice Ferguson's been verbally brown-nosing Martinez over the last few days

bet the ingratiating twat has sent him a United shirt with "Martinez" on it

the fucking snidey purple-nosed cunt