You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What a story this is becoming...

Dead and buried. No Arnie, no James Cameron, some jabroni named McG signing on as director, rumours of stupid endings floating around the internet... The whole thing was shaping up to be a disaster.

Now, they've got Christian Bale at John Connor, Christopher's brother Jonah Nolan (who wrote for Bale in Dark Knight and The Prestige) signing on to rewrite the script, Jim Cameron and Arnie in consultancy roles and a kick-ass teaser trailer

At Comic Con at the weekend they released a three-minute trailer that had people dancing in the aisles. We won't get to see it until Quantum of Solace screenings, but apparently its awesome.

And this McG dude, seems to be made of the right stuff. Check this out.

Could be a really incredible recovery...

I'm really excited about this, Arnie or no Arnie.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have they changed the script and upped it from a pg13 to whatever the US equivalent of an 18 is?

At the moment the only thing it has in common with the other terminator films is the confused time line/story that doesn't flow with the previous film/series.

Can't be worse than Terminator 3.

Damn straight, truly shockingly shit.

Bale wouldn't be enough to get me excited, any great actor can still read a shit script, it's the Cameron in a sonsultancy role that swings it for me, you can't have terminator without Cameron - this is fact.

Totally agree with Stu. When I first heard about Christian Bale playing John Connor a few months ago, I knew it'd be ace.

Really, Paul? Just because he's in it, by no means means it's going to be ace. Everyone makes bad movies at some point.

Really, Paul? Just because he's in it, by no means means it's going to be ace. Everyone makes bad movies at some point.

Well obviously "knew" was hyperbole. However, I immediately thought they'd be going for a Batman Begins type, gritty and credible re-launch of the franchise. I just couldn't see an actor who is so consistent in his choices of quality films fucking it up and joining a dud production - especially with his star so ascendent at the box office. Who knows? Maybe it still will be shit. However, those clips and reports don't seem to suggest so.

Well obviously "knew" was hyperbole. However, I immediately thought they'd be going for a Batman Begins type, gritty and credible re-launch of the franchise. I just couldn't see an actor who is so consistent in his choices of quality films fucking it up and joining a dud production - especially with his star so ascendent at the box office. Who knows? Maybe it still will be shit. However, those clips and reports don't seem to suggest so.

I have heard that he is only going to be in the first film (This is planned as a trilogy I think) for about 20 mins.

I think it'll turn out to be average action movie fare. The first two Terminator movies were, more or less, chase movies and now they have to deviate from the established format. Once you delve further into the Terminator universe, you realise that it's actually an average sci-fi storyline and that's the problem these new films face; how do you a film franchise known for being chase movies and turn them into something different?

Also the Terminator of the title has always implied to be Arnie, if it's not him then you just have people running around with glowing red eyes and who really feels frightened by that?

I think it'll turn out to be average action movie fare. The first two Terminator movies were, more or less, chase movies and now they have to deviate from the established format. Once you delve further into the Terminator universe, you realise that it's actually an average sci-fi storyline and that's the problem these new films face; how do you a film franchise known for being chase movies and turn them into something different?

Also the Terminator of the title has always implied to be Arnie, if it's not him then you just have people running around with glowing red eyes and who really feels frightened by that?

I disagree dude. There's a really great backstory (forestory really) in the first two Terminator movies, that could really, really be explored well if done correctly. My bone of contention is that in T2 they stopped Judgement Day, it didn't happen. To undo that so flagrantly and continue as they did with T3 is to undermine the epic struggle of the characters within that film.

Accepted, but we didn't know about the clips and reports until after Bale had signed on. When he signed on, I was more "What the fuck is he doing?" or "Well, it can't be that shit if he's in it" rather than "Bale's in, this is going to be fucking ace!"

Accepted, but we didn't know about the clips and reports until after Bale had signed on. When he signed on, I was more "What the fuck is he doing?" or "Well, it can't be that shit if he's in it" rather than "Bale's in, this is going to be fucking ace!"

Different strokes, eh? I agree about the story though. I actually quite liked what they did with The Sarah Connor Chronicles and I think there's loads of "back (future) story" to explore. In a world full of infiltrating terminators, paranoia and tension levels can be cranked right up. There's also loads of scope for playing on the inevitable guerilla warfare angle of the poorly equipped resistance fighting against the technologically far advanced Skynet, not to mention the politics of becoming the leader of humanity for John.