You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I, Tonya

Quite enjoyed it. Probably exaggerated true story done in a bit of a faux documentary style of white trash ice skater Tonya Harding, plays like a farce so is really quite entertaining, but also obviously pretty sad and brutal in parts.

The start where Margot Robbie is playing a 15 year old Tonya is a bit wrong, but as she gets older the performance gets better so decent job by Margot. Alison Janney is also rather good as her arsehole mum.

7/10

• Upvote 1

The Wailing

South Korean mystery horror type thing on Netflix. Good atmosphere, well shot and an interesting set-up, but it's one of those films that aims to keep you guessing and as such manoeuvres towards a climax that - upon reflection - doesn't make much sense. Took the easy road for an ending in my view.

6/10

I had my own little mafia / gangster retrospective a year or two ago, I remember both Godfathers still looked great, I would probably still rate them top 5 of all times / all genre.  Once Upon a Time in America was however a disappointment, it was always on my top 10 list but it felt incredibly dated, every flaw I used to neglect painfully obvious. De Palma's Scarface which I used to think was OK looks like some kind of postmodern joke to me now.

• Upvote 1

I had my own little mafia / gangster retrospective a year or two ago, I remember both Godfathers still looked great, I would probably still rate them top 5 of all times / all genre. Once Upon a Time in America was however a disappointment, it was always on my top 10 list but it felt incredibly dated, every flaw I used to neglect painfully obvious. De Palma's Scarface which I used to think was OK looks like some kind of postmodern joke to me now.

Carlito's Way > Scarface

• Upvote 2

I had my own little mafia / gangster retrospective a year or two ago, I remember both Godfathers still looked great, I would probably still rate them top 5 of all times / all genre. Once Upon a Time in America was however a disappointment, it was always on my top 10 list but it felt incredibly dated, every flaw I used to neglect painfully obvious. De Palma's Scarface which I used to think was OK looks like some kind of postmodern joke to me now.

Maybe it's a de Palma thing but I thought the same about The Untouchables.

It's a terrible film with an awful soundtrack

Lucy

Not even Scarlett Johanson could save this steaming pile of shit. 2/10

Watched it in IMAX during a nasty come down after smashing all kinds of illicit substances at creamfields.

Felt like my brain went on a journey through time and space, walked out the cinema contemplating the pointlessness of life in the grand scheme and other various existential crises.

Watched it a second time about a year later expecting a similar experience again, but was severely disappointed to find out it was actually really shit and I'm just a bit of a wreck head.

• Upvote 1

The Shape of Water 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed that despite another 'beauty and the beast' love story. Some good acting (Michael Shannon once again great) and good visuals/soundtrack. Really surprised to find out the female lead was Sally Hawkins, knew I recognised her from somewhere.

Nothing ground breaking in terms of the story as it's been seen before but a very enjoyable film with some good and at times touching moments. Little bit of gore for good measure.

The other half especially loved it. Good and solid Guillermo del Toro movie.