You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The monarchy wasn't brought back in the same way after the civil war was it? Wasn't that largely what neutered it?

I think the absurdity of the monarchy in 2023 is illustrated by the fact virtually nobody else has one, certainly not at this scale. 

The monarchy is there purely and simply to uphold the concept of the class system and give poor people something to feel right wing about.

The stormtroopers of the upper classes are Cockney cabbies who love the Queen, Alan Sugar and the Krays. 

Don't some other European countries have them?

I'm fairly sure they don't have the absolute charade we have here though.

What happened in Germany?

Did they just decide to abolish it after the kaiser was turfed out?

What I find mad is that during ww1 many of the ruling heads of state were related?

So a generation was wiped out thanks to a family tiff.

32 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

In a surprising turn of events no one even hinted anyone was 'forced 'to meet them.

It was about the etiquette when you did.

Standard

In fairness, he did say he's never heard of anyone being forced to meet them; maybe he was just highlighting the fact that nobody here mentioned anything of the sort (unless you include Granny Crowley forcing her husband).

2 hours ago, Arniepie said:

In a surprising turn of events no one even hinted anyone was 'forced 'to meet them.

It was about the etiquette when you did.

Standard

9 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Fuck meeting those inbred cunts! I wouldn't allow work to force me to either.

I'd be polite, just say to whoever I don't believe in the monarchy and don't feel its appropriate for me to meet them.

If they wanted to discipline me for that I'd take them to the fucking cleaners!

Happy to help, @Arniepie

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

In fairness, he did say he's never heard of anyone being forced to meet them; maybe he was just highlighting the fact that nobody here mentioned anything of the sort (unless you include Granny Crowley forcing her husband).

9 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Fuck meeting those inbred cunts! I wouldn't allow work to force me to either.

I'd be polite, just say to whoever I don't believe in the monarchy and don't feel its appropriate for me to meet them.

If they wanted to discipline me for that I'd take them to the fucking cleaners!

Happy to help, @AngryOfTuebrook

Hey hang on, I don't know the etiquette behind meeting these twats if they come to your workplace. I don't know if an employer can try and force you to or not, I'm just saying if that was the case I'd refuse to be forced!

Hyperbole or not, fuck the royals, and anybody who defends their undeserved wealth and servility!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Hey hang on, I don't know the etiquette behind meeting these twats if they come to your workplace. I don't know if an employer can try and force you to or not, I'm just saying if that was the case I'd refuse to be forced!

Hyperbole or not, fuck the royals, and anybody who defends their undeserved wealth and servility!

There would probally be enough lickspittles around,fairly sure no one would actually be forced to meet them.

Suppose it would be the same if some tory cunt came to visit.  

16 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

There would probally be enough lickspittles around,fairly sure no one would actually be forced to meet them.

Suppose it would be the same if some tory cunt came to visit.  

Sajid Javid was in one of our company offices a few weeks back, glad I'm a home worker.

On 17/07/2023 at 21:46, Strontium said:

I'd be happy to see the monarchy replaced, but my issue is and always has been with the institution and not the individuals involved. Some seem motivated by personal animosity for the royals.

Crucially, I also believe that if you're going to abolish something, you should have a pretty good idea of what you're going to replace it with. 

On 17/07/2023 at 22:14, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What do they do that you think needs replacing?

@Strontium?

On 23/07/2023 at 14:25, Strontium said:

You've asked before and I've answered before, you don't think we need a republican head of state, in which case I look forward to your criticisms of France, Ireland etc

If you have answered, I must have missed it.

France, Ireland, etc. have different electoral systems where different people have different powers.  That's not relevant to the question.

The question is - what is it that the UK monarchy does that you think would need to be replaced? 

My view is that what they do is

• own the Crown Estate and take a 25% cut; without even changing the management (because the monarchy adds nothing to that) we cut take them out of the picture and keep all of the revenue

• ceremonial shit; the Prime Minister, as Head of Government, can attend the fancy dinners; Ant & Dec can do all the unveiling and ribbon cutting. (On a personal note, I have very little memory of the time Elizabeth II officially opened Runcorn Shopping City; I was much more impressed when Kevin Keegan officially opened Tesco in the Shoppo.)

• interfering in politics; just no.  Nobody should get to do what they do.

I'm not being snarky or argumentative.  I genuinely want to hear some well-reasoned argument that I've missed something.  (I used to think that the monarch should be replaced with someone elected; I've only recently come round to the idea of binning them off altogether, and a part of me still thinks "it can't be that simple, can it?")

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

If you have answered, I must have missed it.

France, Ireland, etc. have different electoral systems where different people have different powers.  That's not relevant to the question.

Of course it's relevant. The President of Ireland has "powers" akin to that of the British monarch, which is hardly surprising since the one essentially supplanted the other. Presidents of Germany, Austria etc barely have any powers either and are similarly apolitical. I don't see why we couldn't have a system like that.

9 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Of course it's relevant. The President of Ireland has "powers" akin to that of the British monarch, which is hardly surprising since the one essentially supplanted the other. Presidents of Germany, Austria etc barely have any powers either and are similarly apolitical. I don't see why we couldn't have a system like that.

The Irish President has powers relating to the Constitution; the UK doesn't have a constitution.  If you want to talk about fundamentally changing the governance of the country, I'd be all for it - I think democracy would be a good idea.  But on the narrow issue of the Monarchy, I reckon they could disappear tomorrow and not be missed.

• Upvote 1