You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

The talk about the new stadium has got me a bit wound up about the acceptance of mediocre architecture in this country. I've been working in an architect's office for 7 months now and what I'm finding is that clients and planning are, generally, in favour of traditional design instead of something new and contemporary.

For example I was asked to draw up a scheme for some 'luxury' flats in Peckham and I produced a design that was modern yet hinted towards the local vernacular. We were happy with it but we came back from a meeting with a planning advisor and were told that there was absolutely no way we would get it built, not a chance. I was a bit pissed off but have no choice to accept it. I have now worked the scheme through with input from the planning advisor and what we have ended up with is a horrible looking block that is supposed to look like a 'London Villa'. It doesn't, it looks awful and is further from suiting it's surroundings than the first scheme. The planner has ended up dictating the design of the building, if this is happening then why employ an architect? Just get a builder to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I love old buildings as much as I do contemporary ones, it's the constant longing to design something traditional that frustrates me. We live in the 21st century, not the 18th, 19th or 20th. Buildings should be designed to suit modern life and this is happening in other countries, the Dutch being a great example of how to bring good design into the mainstream.

Take housing as another example, planners tend to favour duo-pitched roofs over mono-pitch or flat ones. Pitched roofs are a waste of space and money, both in construction and energy bills. The reason traditional houses don't have flat roofs is because they didn't have the building technology to make them water tight and insulated to a high standard. Now we do, but we persist with pitched roof houses, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Over 80% of new homes fail to reach CABE's (Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment) standards, and soon a new Michelin-Star style rating system will be brought in to mark the standards of new houses. This is great news and hopefully one that will kick start a new generation of architecture in this country.

Anyway, rant over. It would be good to get some of your opinions on the subject as it's one that I am deeply interested and involved in.

Probably best not to ask me as my degree was in quantity surveying. I was the the noose around the purse strings many moons ago.

Im generally pissed off with the amount of lazy, clad drenched multi story flats in every city. Egg boxes filled with plasterboard the lot of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Planning rules suck donkey balls.

Agree with you there Mr RJ sir.

Anyway, reason for bumping is to see what people's opinions of architects are. This was prompted by being shown this video of a lecture by Steve Griffiths of F.A.T. ( Fashion. Architecture. Taste.) about a project in Middlesborough.

One of the guys in our class was dismissive of the guy's presentation technique, saying that he was very poor and that they should have had a "proper architect" do it instead. I found this immensely disrespectful and ridiculous that he has an in idea of what a "proper architect" is. Now, admittedly the presentation isn't as crisp as some, and he is slightly dismissive of elements of the scheme, particularly it's environmental impact and the developer's role. However I do not necessarily see this as a bad thing, he concentrates on the design and how they worked the process through, he uses simple language and images to convey an idea. I'm by no means great at presentation and was quite pleased to see a guy like this presenting to a large audience in New York in the same manner as he may talk to someone in the office.

The guy in our class seemed to be suggesting that there is a certain demeanor which an architect must carry. He must use "architectural" terms (ie Archi-wank) and do things which are expected (ie kiss the developer's arse) and must not, under any circumstance, try to keep things simple. I don't believe that and I think there is a pre-conception of what an architect it, so I ask you, fellows of the GF, what do you think of architects?

Do you see them as a pin striped suit, funky glasses wearing, big word using, sexy, egotistical, patronising evil?

Agree with you there Mr RJ sir.

Anyway, reason for bumping is to see what people's opinions of architects are. This was prompted by being shown this video of a lecture by Steve Griffiths of F.A.T. ( Fashion. Architecture. Taste.) about a project in Middlesborough.

One of the guys in our class was dismissive of the guy's presentation technique, saying that he was very poor and that they should have had a "proper architect" do it instead. I found this immensely disrespectful and ridiculous that he has an in idea of what a "proper architect" is. Now, admittedly the presentation isn't as crisp as some, and he is slightly dismissive of elements of the scheme, particularly it's environmental impact and the developer's role. However I do not necessarily see this as a bad thing, he concentrates on the design and how they worked the process through, he uses simple language and images to convey an idea. I'm by no means great at presentation and was quite pleased to see a guy like this presenting to a large audience in New York in the same manner as he may talk to someone in the office.

The guy in our class seemed to be suggesting that there is a certain demeanor which an architect must carry. He must use "architectural" terms (ie Archi-wank) and do things which are expected (ie kiss the developer's arse) and must not, under any circumstance, try to keep things simple. I don't believe that and I think there is a pre-conception of what an architect it, so I ask you, fellows of the GF, what do you think of architects?

Do you see them as a pin striped suit, funky glasses wearing, big word using, sexy, egotistical, patronising evil?

Thats sounds like someone who got into the career for the wrong reasons to me, someone who thinks it has an aura which must be preserved, which makes him look clever or special.

If I had to conjure up an image of an architect it would be a late 40s early 50s bloke with a black suit, black turtle neck jumper, designer glasses and a silver five series BMW.

Thats sounds like someone who got into the career for the wrong reasons to me, someone who thinks it has an aura which must be preserved, which makes him look clever or special.

I don't know how to take him to be honest, he's part time so only in one day a week and therefore I don't see him much.

He does seem like a point scorer though, anything mentioned in a lecture he's done it. Eco-friendly housing, done it. Composting toilets, done. Designed a death chamber for 15th century Japan, oh aye, done 3 of them.

I don't know how to take him to be honest, he's part time so only in one day a week and therefore I don't see him much.

He does seem like a point scorer though, anything mentioned in a lecture he's done it. Eco-friendly housing, done it. Composting toilets, done. Designed a death chamber for 15th century Japan, oh aye, done 3 of them.

ha ha you get them everywhere, I still go to a class on Friday mornings and there's a guy there I call 'Journalism boy' sounds pretty similar.

He has different sizes of notepads which he buys himself and his tie is always far too straight, I always imagine he's mummy and daddy's pride and joy at family functions too.

'make way, make way, I'm a journalist!'

FUCK OFF!

I was reading in the Times today that one of Fabio Cappello's interests is architecture. He seems a very cultured man. If he gets the England job he will bring a touch of gravitas to the post.

Cappello rules!

Off to the *f I go.

When i was a student i shared a house with an architecture student - sound bloke. He had a mate who sounds similar to the guy you're talking about - reminded me of Pseuds corner in Private Eye. Complete wankstain.

Generally in professions the worse someone is at their job the more they'll try to confuse you with jargon be they Dr's, teachers, architects etc.

The best people will nearly always talk using simple language that's easily understood

• 1 month later...

We had some plans done for a rear kitchen extension with lots of glass and a side 2 storey extension to our house. The architect came up with a lovely blend of traditional juxtaposed to modern - a glazed mezzanine first floor corridor over the new hall, blue glass block aperture to divide the old from the new, a glazed ridge roof light in the kitchen. All lovely stuff.

Now the builder has told me how much all these fancy arthitectural ideas will cost I am about to go back and tell him to cut all the fancy stuff and give me more rendered breeze blocks and UPVC patio windows.

Oh and the nice lady in the planning dept was very helpful.

RJ, or other Brightonites, do you know if this was ever given planning permission?

Gabion: Frank Gehry and the land of the Prince Regent.

Karl, as far as I know, it got approval:

Brighton & Hove City Council - King Alfred development

Yep got approved in April at Committee, six vote a piece and chairs casting vote sealed the deal. It didn't get a GOSE call in and went unchallenged, so it is standing permission.

On another note a recent story on this matter. linky

Karlos, if you want to know any more on the scheme not the above article for obvious reasons it would have to be on PM.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ere Karlos...

I went here today, while you may or may not have been intrested in the subject matter, I reckon you would have loved the building. It was an excellent enjoyable space to be in, it had high quality finishes, seemed to have automated blinds and shade for solar gain (and the opposite shading effect needed out here). It proved to me that high quality architecture and public buildings can mix with out massive expense.

MARITIME_LG.jpg

a2_gallery.jpg

WA-Maritime-Museum.jpg

DSCN2708.jpg

Sorry I can find any better snaps on the interweb.

• 1 month later...
The talk about the new stadium has got me a bit wound up about the acceptance of mediocre architecture in this country. I've been working in an architect's office for 7 months now and what I'm finding is that clients and planning are, generally, in favour of traditional design instead of something new and contemporary.

For example I was asked to draw up a scheme for some 'luxury' flats in Peckham and I produced a design that was modern yet hinted towards the local vernacular. We were happy with it but we came back from a meeting with a planning advisor and were told that there was absolutely no way we would get it built, not a chance. I was a bit pissed off but have no choice to accept it. I have now worked the scheme through with input from the planning advisor and what we have ended up with is a horrible looking block that is supposed to look like a 'London Villa'. It doesn't, it looks awful and is further from suiting it's surroundings than the first scheme. The planner has ended up dictating the design of the building, if this is happening then why employ an architect? Just get a builder to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I love old buildings as much as I do contemporary ones, it's the constant longing to design something traditional that frustrates me. We live in the 21st century, not the 18th, 19th or 20th. Buildings should be designed to suit modern life and this is happening in other countries, the Dutch being a great example of how to bring good design into the mainstream.

Take housing as another example, planners tend to favour duo-pitched roofs over mono-pitch or flat ones. Pitched roofs are a waste of space and money, both in construction and energy bills. The reason traditional houses don't have flat roofs is because they didn't have the building technology to make them water tight and insulated to a high standard. Now we do, but we persist with pitched roof houses, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Over 80% of new homes fail to reach CABE's (Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment) standards, and soon a new Michelin-Star style rating system will be brought in to mark the standards of new houses. This is great news and hopefully one that will kick start a new generation of architecture in this country.

Anyway, rant over. It would be good to get some of your opinions on the subject as it's one that I am deeply interested and involved in.

:blah

• 3 months later...

Cheers for the input Windass, valued as always.

I'm currently looking at the Seattle Public Library, designed by OMA, as a precedent for my final design project; it's a fascinating building but then I do enjoy OMA's work greatly.

SeattlePublicLibrary.jpg

If anyone has a spare 20 minutes then give this a watch -

An insight into one of the most interesting practices in the world and a building that challenges people's notions of how a public library works. An analysis of the programme given to the architect's showed that only 30% of the proposed space was dedicated to media, the rest being made up of social, interactive spaces. So what OMA did was to create forms in which these media spaces, which are less likely to change over the coming years, exist and the evolutionary spaces were fitted around these main blocks. The form is a direct response to the programme of the building. One exceptionally simple but great idea is that the book collection is a constant form, rising up 4/5 stories with steps between each section of shelving. This continuous space allows practical storage of the collection and allows ease of use for the public.

Patt and Jeff are lucky to have this in their city.

• 1 month later...
Yep got approved in April at Committee, six vote a piece and chairs casting vote sealed the deal. It didn't get a GOSE call in and went unchallenged, so it is standing permission.

On another note a recent story on this matter. linky

Karlos, if you want to know any more on the scheme not the above article for obvious reasons it would have to be on PM.

It's been scrapped after the developer couldn't secure funding; a real shame as it looks unlikely we'll ever get a [permanent] Gehry in this country now.

It's been scrapped after the developer couldn't secure funding; a real shame as it looks unlikely we'll ever get a [permanent] Gehry in this country now.

Indeed it has and was months ago on the grapevine. It got confirmed offically a few weeks ago. The Council are still keen on the redevelopment of the site, but it seems unlikely at the moment given the Recession. The Council have decided to pump some cash into maintianing the current Sports centre so seemingly it will be a while before things move on, or a new design is found.

The developers have stated they would still like to do it and could opt to keep the consent alive by renewals. I think the way its stand we are unlikely to get the Gehry scheme.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...