You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It's funny as it depends on who you read. Lots saying it's more possession based before looking to hit the front three or overlapping fullbacks. Same out of possession 5 drop and 5 press heavily. 

That article has data showing Benfica, Porto and Braga all win the ball high more than Sporting and that Sporting move the ball much quicker than league average in the middle and final third, so that all seems pretty clear.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I meant pre Klopp. We had teams that had a tilt at the title every 4/5 years. 

There are bigger cups than domestic, we sprinkled in one and had a good run in at least one other. That is 21st century LFC.

Yeah, but we're a different club under different ownership now. Kenny got fired in a season of winning a cup because he didn't reach the CL target. Those other days are gone. So what I'm saying is if amorim's trademark is getting a club that should be a little off the top to be a little off the top but ahead of the pack, ready to pounce when the cheats falter,  he feels the exact profile FSG would seek in a manager. 

Not putting it in the transfer thread because it's solely dependent on Amorim being appointed, and to distract from the various don't like him because of this niche tactical issue, but who would people look at for one of the few glaring gaps in the team at left centre back?

Inacio?

Murillo?

Branthwaite (unlikely outside of a forced sale while in administration and even then the competition would be massive)?

Bastoni?

Hancko?

Medina?

Others....

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not putting it in the transfer thread because it's solely dependent on Amorim being appointed, and to distract from the various don't like him because of this niche tactical issue, but who would people look at for one of the few glaring gaps in the team at left centre back?

Inacio?

Murillo?

Branthwaite (unlikely outside of a forced sale while in administration and even then the competition would be massive)?

Bastoni?

Hancko?

Medina?

Others....

Whatever the option that is the best on the ball, because that player doesn't have to be a huge monster defender, the profile is more hybrid left back.

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

My biggest concern is that apart from Klopp FSG's managerial appointments have been underwhelming to me. It's almost as if they should cut and run after Klopp. Let's hope they are as smart as they believe they are,in future.

How have they been underwhelming? 

They only appointed Rodgers and klopp, that's it. 

It was your man Christian purslow that appointed Hodgson. 

I know Rodgers didn't end too well, but we ran man city close for a league title under him, to be fair to the dickhead

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Inacio?

Murillo?

Bastoni?

Hancko?

Medina?

Others....

Himcapie is another that's been linked for LCB. 

The left wingback is needed just as much

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Robertson and Tsimikas are perfectly fine in the short term.

Robertson form has been pretty poor for a while by his standards, he's also past 30 now so you expect some decline. Tsimikas will be 28 at the end of the season. We are pretty well stocked all round so now is the time to look for a new LB. We also need more players that can dribble past people and neither of them do that well. 

29 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

How have they been underwhelming? 

They only appointed Rodgers and klopp, that's it. 

It was your man Christian purslow that appointed Hodgson. 

I know Rodgers didn't end too well, but we ran man city close for a league title under him, to be fair to the dickhead

We did,but the other two seasons were woeful and our European escapades were embarrassing. I hate the cunt and never knew what they saw in him.

I want Gerrard as manager. 

We can talk about tactical set-ups all we want, but our top strength has always been our supporters and having a manager capable of harnessing that.  

I don't see it with Alonso, I don't see it with Amorim, but I do see it with Gerrard. 

I want another 10 year manager, someone who sees this job as the pinnacle of their career. 

He's got loads of room to grow, loads of time on his side, loads of credit in the bank (both figuratively and literally), and has a point to prove in this country.  

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I want Gerrard as manager. 

We can talk about tactical set-ups all we want, but our top strength has always been our supporters and having a manager capable of harnessing that.  

I don't see it with Alonso, I don't see it with Amorim, but I do see it with Gerrard. 

I want another 10 year manager, someone who sees this job as the pinnacle of their career. 

He's got loads of room to grow, loads of time on his side, loads of credit in the bank (both figuratively and literally), and has a point to prove in this country.  

you are joking, arent you?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Robertson form has been pretty poor for a while by his standards, he's also past 30 now so you expect some decline. Tsimikas will be 28 at the end of the season. We are pretty well stocked all round so now is the time to look for a new LB. We also need more players that can dribble past people and neither of them do that well. 

With potentially bedding in a new tactic player familiarity will be an important factor and ripping up one whole side of the defence when it's not entirely necessary is potentially adding more work than you need to, especially given Robertson's status in the squad and the fact he's played as a width holding attacking full back for most of his time with us.

Maybe we look to flip Tsimikas for Robertson's eventual successor if the opportunity arises and give him a season as understudy but it doesn't seem like an immediate priority to go big in that position this summer.

I'd like to see (assuming no significant outgoings)

• Starting Left Centreback
  • Defensive midfielder (early 20's defensive minded rotational option/eventual successor to Endo)*
  • Depth option at CB (preferably a top up and coming defender but short term Endo style option if not available because if we play 3 at the back is 5 defenders enough?)

*Given the number of players we have in midfield it might not be possible and it'll have to be done by committee

Situation dependent (which might mean we drop one of the above)

• Replacement for Kelleher
  • Left Back
  • Replacement if one of the attackers leaves.

(Whisper it but there's a conversation to be had over Matip as a 1 year 6th choice CB on reduced terms if there isn't a suitable option on the market.)

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Inacio?

Murillo?

Bastoni?

Hancko?

Medina?

Others....

Colwill.

Obviously wanted him last summer and counts towards home grown quota. They’ll be under pressure to sell before 30th June as well. 

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Colwill.

Obviously wanted him last summer and counts towards home grown quota. They’ll be under pressure to sell before 30th June as well. 

They're looking to sell James and Gallagher first

With Amorim liking the middle of the three defenders to sometimes step up as an extra midfielder in possession could you re-purpose Bajcetic as a Libero in the same way Jon Stones does?

He started as a centre back so it's not a massive departure (and obviously not as an immediate first choice but as a backup with an eye to the future).

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's not looked great when I've seen him this season. Is he worth the fuss? 

hard to judge any player in that shit show of a club