You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

I see you’re new to the Liverpool thing. Let me assure you that Bajcetic will never start two consecutive games for Liverpool for as long as he lives and should under no circumstances be depended on for anything. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t gone full Lieutenant Dan by August.

I was under the impression he has already started more than two consecutive Liverpool games. And is apparently still alive.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I was under the impression he has already started more than two consecutive Liverpool games. And is apparently still alive.

That was in his prime, the curse of Liverpool has got a hold of him now. Shame.

Osimhen with Mo

And yes I know its the Italian media so probably bollocks. But now let's sell Diaz and buy Kvaratskhelia 

200w (1).gif

Still think a genius number 10 is that we need most. 

It's hard to know where we are in the food chain right now though, are we genuinely in for players like Osimhen or are we still a rung below.  

I love Eze, but can he stay fit. 

Lautaro Martinez is my wildcard. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Still think a genius number 10 is that we need most. 

It's hard to know where we are in the food chain right now though, are we genuinely in for players like Osimhen or are we still a rung below.  

I love Eze, but can he stay fit. 

Lautaro Martinez is my wildcard. 

'

He doesn't want to leave Inter, he has said that multiple times. Quality player though

Eze i like but not really as a 10 and not for 60+ml either, he is 26 aswell so unlikely to get much better. 19 goals and 8 assists over the past 3 years isn't near good enough for a top club. 

Its a shame Olise hamstrings seem to be a issue, last 2 seasons he has missed 21 games to hamstring issues. But this year he has 7 goals and 4 assists in 16 games(just over 1000 minutes)

A mildly interesting take on Diaz…

IMG_1420.jpeg

…basically he has 2 years left on his contract. He’s on the lower end of the scale in terms of wages. Assume discussions will come on a new deal and that do our hierarchy think he is worthy of a, likely, big wage increase? 

He’s only averaged 1 goal in 4 games the whole time he’s been with us (I realise last season was interrupted) and assists are less frequent. 

I like Diaz, I think he’s a good player, there is definitely a strong-ish case for sale this summer. 

20 hours ago, Shitty Arse said:

I remember being at the match. Think it was a midweek game against Stoke at Anfield. Came on as a sub in the second half and scored.

Yeah the ball just about made it over the line . Pretty sure he broke from just inside their half.

Talk this morning of Gomez wanting to leave (or more specifically happy to stay but would like the club to listen to offers if they come in) which could clear a path for another utility player like Geertruida.

21 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Talk this morning of Gomez wanting to leave (or more specifically happy to stay but would like the club to listen to offers if they come in) which could clear a path for another utility player like Geertruida.

We'd like the club to listen to offers too Joe, it's a crying shame they didn't come a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, etho said:

So we should sell everyone and buy a whole new team and have a new manager.

The Chelsea model

Isn't the Chelsea model just to buy a whole new team in additional to another whole new team?

1 hour ago, Binomial said:

We'd like the club to listen to offers too Joe, it's a crying shame they didn't come a few years ago.

Gomez has been great this season.

34 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Gomez has been great this season.

He's generally done well when called to step in but 'great' is a vast overstatement, still can't be trusted at CB.

Gladly see the back of him just so it means we never have to hear shouts of him to shoot and worst, him thinking he's actually capable of scoring from 25 yards.

2 hours ago, The wanderer said:

I think there is a strong possibility that we will sign him to play in front of the back four.

This is my thinking:

We are not likely to buy any players this summer unless it is to replace ones who get sold.

Slot will have been given the job based on him saying he can work with the players we have.

The nerds are totally in charge of transfers, they are not buying a player just because the new manager has previously worked with them.

Only loser managers immediately sign players they have managed before. Smart managers like to buy new players who are better than ones they’ve already worked with.

So the only way we are signing anyone from Feyenoord is if we sell someone and the player at Feyenoord just happens to be the best statistical match in world football for what Slot wants in that position. Highly unlikely.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Scott_M said:

And I can see why. His all round game and goals contribution (ie goals + assists) is really good. 

Unfortunately, his lack of a clinical edge has likely cost keeping us in title race longer this season. 

Along with Diaz missing sitters, Mo missing sitters and playing like a school child, Gakpo being massively average, Endo falling off a cliff, Macca falling off a cliff, Jones being crap after his injury, Konate inexplicably morphing into Bjorn Tore Kvarme, Quansah playing that terrible pass at Old Trafford, Dom disappearing when we needed him most, Jota being a sicknote, Trent deciding that defending is not for him, Robbo turning into Phil Babb any time he's in a crossing position, the entire fucking team losing all of their individual battles at Goodison and Klopp just not having enough fight left in him to do anything about any of the above.

• Upvote 3

Don't be surprised if there's not much done at centre back this summer either by the way, the stat nerds are extremely high on Sepp Van den Berg who has apparently been one of the best centre backs in Germany this season. He'll definitely get a look in pre-season to try and prove himself.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

So the only way we are signing anyone from Feyenoord is if we sell someone and the player at Feyenoord just happens to be the best statistical match in world football for what Slot wants in that position. Highly unlikely.

This is exactly right and I'm amazed anyone might think differently. This isn't Man United, Edwards isn't going to just let Hughes and Slot go shopping in Holland. If we sign a Feyenoord player it will be because the scouts have been watching him for a while and he's high on their list. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

Don't be surprised if there's not much done at centre back this summer either by the way, the stat nerds are extremely high on Sepp Van den Berg who has apparently been one of the best centre backs in Germany this season. He'll definitely get a look in pre-season to try and prove himself.

He'll need to improve on the ball if he's going to earn any significant game time here. At the moment I'd liken him to a younger Tarkowski or Mee, likes to show off his physicality in aeriel battles...very good defensive awareness and that allows him to be in the right positions to mop up but looks to play far too many long balls.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Binomial said:

He'll need to improve on the ball if he's going to earn any significant game time here. At the moment I'd liken him to a younger Tarkowski or Mee, likes to show off his physicality in aeriel battles...very good defensive awareness and that allows him to be in the right positions to mop up but looks to play far too many long balls.

Could that not be because of the tactics Mainz play? I have no idea, I don't watch them, I'm just wondering if he's encouraged to play long.

I did hear that the main concern is that he plays in a deeper line than we play so would need to adapt to that. I always thought he was slow when I watched him here but he clocked the fastest time in Germany or something this year, so my eyes must have been deceiving me!

I think there’ll be a few Dutchies we’re keeping tabs on anyway. That Per Shuurs was linked before he broke his leg, Joshua Zirkzee is one of the top forward prospects in Europe should something be happening there, Weiffer has been linked and seems pretty integral to Slot’s midfield. We’re just as likely to sign some fuckers from Portugal we’ve never heard of as well. If Slot has anything about him he’ll be involved in these decisions hopefully.

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

Along with Diaz missing sitters, Mo missing sitters and playing like a school child, Gakpo being massively average, Endo falling off a cliff, Macca falling off a cliff, Jones being crap after his injury, Konate inexplicably morphing into Bjorn Tore Kvarme, Quansah playing that terrible pass at Old Trafford, Dom disappearing when we needed him most, Jota being a sicknote, Trent deciding that defending is not for him, Robbo turning into Phil Babb any time he's in a crossing position, the entire fucking team losing all of their individual battles at Goodison and Klopp just not having enough fight left in him to do anything about any of the above.

Well yeah, there is all that as well.

• Haha 1