You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - Sun 4th Feb 2024 (4:30pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Elliott looks like a kid who won a competition to play with his favourite team. The Lol Cottrell of the current side.

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

Elliott looks like a Brighton player to me.  I just don't think he's going to develop either the physical attributes, or the vision and skills to be a regular for us.  It's a shame, because he's obviously trying hard, and he will have the odd game where he looks great, but it's not going to happen regularly.  He's a 30 minute bits and pieces player, like Gakpo and Gravenberch.

Cameo_Spotlight_660x360-b312313ba8.png

He's 20.  He's already a very useful impact sub and he's clearly got a lot more development in him. He's already very good; he's going to be excellent.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We've shown ourselves not to be great away from home. If we're to have a chance of winning the league, we have to put that right. I don't think the aways look easy at all. Fulham is about the only one where you think "we should win that", but they've given us 3 tough games already this season. 

Brentford - klopp's never won there

Forest - we lost there last year. 

Everton - nearly always 2 points dropped

Man united - won't be easy if they've got a chance of pissing on our parade

Fulham - maybe our easiest looking away

West ham - always hard there

Villa - probably depends what they're still fighting for. 

That's a madly pessimistic assessment.  Our away record this season isn't that bad at all: we've only been beaten by a football team once. All your forecasts there are coloured by how shit we were last season and don't take enough account of how massively improved we are this season.  There isn't a single game there that I would expect us to lose: 4 or 5 wins with 2 or 3 draws would not be unreasonable.

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We've shown ourselves not to be great away from home. If we're to have a chance of winning the league, we have to put that right. I don't think the aways look easy at all. Fulham is about the only one where you think "we should win that", but they've given us 3 tough games already this season. 

Brentford - klopp's never won there

Forest - we lost there last year. 

Everton - nearly always 2 points dropped

Man united - won't be easy if they've got a chance of pissing on our parade

Fulham - maybe our easiest looking away

West ham - always hard there

Villa - probably depends what they're still fighting for. 

Fuck that looks really tough...can see a few draws there and that might ultimately see us fall short.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, stringvest said:

Elliott looks like a Brighton player to me.  I just don't think he's going to develop either the physical attributes, or the vision and skills to be a regular for us.  It's a shame, because he's obviously trying hard, and he will have the odd game where he looks great, but it's not going to happen regularly.  He's a 30 minute bits and pieces player, like Gakpo and Gravenberch.

Cameo_Spotlight_660x360-b312313ba8.png

I see what you did there. Word up.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The hyperbole around arsenal's performance is next level.

Just saw some ESPN FC clip where the headline is that "Arsenal Tore Liverpool to Shreds". I didn't bother watching to be fair (it's about 20 minutes and I can't be bothered at this point), but watching that game I think we played shit, truly, but I wouldn't say we were torn to shreds. It could've gone that way in the first half, but we somehow ended up level, as Arsenal did what they do and didn't take any other chances they created. I know horseshoes and handgrenades and all that but the way the game was going in the second I don't think we end up losing if not for the huge VVD Alisson double fuck up. We had finally started to get a foothold in the game. Arsenal were looking as if they were more scared of losing than they were of drawing, and then of course with Konate's sending off we got done on the break by a solo effort that still needed a deflection to beat Alisson because we were still actually trying to get back in the game.

This all with us having to change our gameplan at most a day before with Dom's injury resurfacing and Bradley's personal tragedy.

12 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ah good old Scott with his shrug of the shoulders approach.

We didn’t play well, I think there was reasons behind it. 

I was really pissed off Sunday night, especially with our 2nd half performance as you could feel on TV the atmosphere being sucked out the ground with our goal. I expected us to go for the throat and it never materialised.

Football sides lose games. We lose less than most. We played the side 3rd in the league, who played very well and we didn’t turn up. It’s not the first time it’s happened, it wont be the last. 

We’re still top of the league, we are historically very strong finishers and if we win every game we’ll win the title - hardly reasons to be upset or throwing hissy fits. 

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

We seem to be taking the brunt of the criticism for having the audacity to complain about their OTT celebrations.

We're killjoys allegedly.

As far as I can tell, Jamie Carragher - a Sky Sports employee - commented on Odegaard twatting about with a camera, therefore Liverpool FC are killjoys and poor losers. Obviously.

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's a madly pessimistic assessment.  Our away record this season isn't that bad at all: we've only been beaten by a football team once. All your forecasts there are coloured by how shit we were last season and don't take enough account of how massively improved we are this season.  There isn't a single game there that I would expect us to lose: 4 or 5 wins with 2 or 3 draws would not be unreasonable.

Draws are a killer though and many of them a drawable even on a good day. When was the last time we.won at goodison for example? We've drawn away to Luton, only just got past sheff United. I think every away is a challenge for us. Out of that 7 we have to win 5 and win all our home games to win it I think. We maybe get away with winning 4 of the aways if we only lose 1.  

Any fuck up at home (like spurs 2 years ago) and the task is harder. 

City have everyone back fit now. We're still with injury challenges. 

13 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ah good old Scott with his shrug of the shoulders approach.

What's your approach?  Ignore the fact that we've got a brilliant squad who are challenging on four fronts and pretend that everything in the world is falling apart, just because we had one bad game, with a depleted squad against a very good team?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Just saw some ESPN FC clip where the headline is that "Arsenal Tore Liverpool to Shreds". I didn't bother watching to be fair (it's about 20 minutes and I can't be bothered at this point), but watching that game I think we played shit, truly, but I wouldn't say we were torn to shreds. It could've gone that way in the first half, but we somehow ended up level, as Arsenal did what they do and didn't take any other chances they created. I know horseshoes and handgrenades and all that but the way the game was going in the second I don't think we end up losing if not for the huge VVD Alisson double fuck up. We had finally started to get a foothold in the game. Arsenal were looking as if they were more scared of losing than they were of drawing, and then of course with Konate's sending off we got done on the break by a solo effort that still needed a deflection to beat Alisson because we were still actually trying to get back in the game.

This all with us having to change our gameplan at most a day before with Dom's injury resurfacing and Bradley's personal tragedy.

This is how I saw it. At the point of the Virgil/Ali fuck up I thought we were looking good for a point at the very least. Arsenal at that point were defending deep and playing on the break. I was amazed to see those xG and big chance stats, can’t remember Ali having that much to worry about.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What's your approach?  Ignore the fact that we've got a brilliant squad who are challenging on four fronts and pretend that everything in the world is falling apart, just because we had one bad game, with a depleted squad against a very good team?

IMG_4311.jpeg

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A depleted squad, are you kidding me?

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Draws are a killer though and many of them a drawable even on a good day. When was the last time we.won at goodison for example? We've drawn away to Luton, only just got past sheff United. I think every away is a challenge for us. Out of that 7 we have to win 5 and win all our home games to win it I think. We maybe get away with winning 4 of the aways if we only lose 1.  

Any fuck up at home (like spurs 2 years ago) and the task is harder. 

City have everyone back fit now. We're still with injury challenges. 

Agree with most of that, but we’ll  generally be in a much better place in terms of player availability from now on. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

They basically played the same as they did in the cup but this time we threw the ball in the net a couple times. 

I thought they were better in the cup game.

We were coasting on Sunday when we decided to hand it to them. The cup game, we really had to fight to stay in it.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I thought they were better in the cup game.

We were coasting on Sunday when we decided to hand it to them. The cup game, we really had to fight to stay in it.

Agreed, they were much better in the cup game, we started like dozy fucks having learned nothing from the game and to top it off, we gave them 2 goals. 

They were not good except the fast start (which happens mostly against us anyway) and will finish below us. 

22 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

A depleted squad, are you kidding me?

In all your footballing wisdom, Beef, what are you supposed to do tactically with a Trent-Gravenberch-Gakpo right side? And by the way, this was forced upon Klopp because two players who would have played in two of those positions were late absences. Nevermind that Salah was also missing.