You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bobby Charlton has died

Lee909

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Sad. A strangely morose character, even before the plane crash (there's a story about Shanks greeting the manc players off the bus at Anfield. He went over to Charlton, said, 'Christ son, are you unwell, you look terrible!' Charlton's supposed to have gone white with alarm, gone off to see the club doc and he dropped out of the team). Pity he didn't enjoy it all more, because he was a heck of a midfielder. 

From recollection he was quite distant with his brother as well. Do you know what was going on/the reason for breakdown of the relationships?

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Sad. A strangely morose character, even before the plane crash (there's a story about Shanks greeting the manc players off the bus at Anfield. He went over to Charlton, said, 'Christ son, are you unwell, you look terrible!' Charlton's supposed to have gone white with alarm, gone off to see the club doc and he dropped out of the team). Pity he didn't enjoy it all more, because he was a heck of a midfielder. 

I remember the story and shanks apparently knew Bobby was a bit sensitive about his health. He told all the United players how well they looked going down the line until he told Charlton " Are you OK Bobby you look like something is ailing you?"

Rivalries aside he’s probably the greatest of all Englands footballers. 

My dad wouldn’t give any other team the slightest bit of credit but he used to tell me that best, law & Charlton were as good as they said.

Even though I’ve got no love for England FC, it’s always grated me when you see the likes of Rooney and Kane getting absolutely lauded for breaking his record when they’re records are heavily padded from scoring against no mark international teams and penalties.

Anyway, RIP Bob

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

From recollection he was quite distant with his brother as well. Do you know what was going on/the reason for breakdown of the relationships?

It’s all in the Jack Charlton documentary. Let’s just just say Jack’s missus wasn’t a fan of her sister in law. 

• Downvote 1

I'm not old enough to have seen him play in his career, but old enough to see him play at Tommy Smith's testimonial. I remember Clem going up front and Emlyn Hughes going in goal. Charlton got played through on goal and Crazy Horse looked towards the Kop in fear - the Kop's 'woooah' making his plight worse. It's probably a failing memory but I'm sure Hughes was making out like he was biting his nails in fear. Anyway, Charlton made like he was winding up to let loose one of his cannonball shots, then slowed down, took pity on Hughes and tapped it to him.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I'm not old enough to have seen him play in his career, but old enough to see him play at Tommy Smith's testimonial. I remember Clem going up front and Emlyn Hughes going in goal. Charlton got played through on goal and Crazy Horse looked towards the Kop in fear - the Kop's 'woooah' making his plight worse. It's probably a failing memory but I'm sure Hughes was making out like he was biting his nails in fear. Anyway, Charlton made like he was winding up to let loose one of his cannonball shots, then slowed down, took pity on Hughes and tapped it to him.

I was there for that, it was a couple of days after Rome 77. 

Liverpool vs A Bobby Charlton select XI. 

Charlton really was a class act.

The thing that stuck in my memory of that game more than anything was seeing Ronnie Moran play for the first and only time.

It was a brilliant, light hearted night that.

Fucking hell, still the top story on Granada reports, which kind of sums up what the mancs are all about, it's never enough to just mourn the passing of a great player. Oh no, not for the mancs. They're 10% club and 90% PR.

"Bobby Charlton wine stoppers were on sale at the club shop today, with Simply Red declaring that Sir Bobby was a better player than Pele."

Said it before and I'll say it again. Height of the 80s and liverpool sweeps all before it. Open the Littlewoods catalogue and it's 10 pages of man utd fucking bedspreads. And THAT, is man utd.

• Upvote 2