You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (H) - Sun 3rd Sep 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

14 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You've got to laugh at the calls saying Salah was in the keepers line of sight and offside from Wright and co. The keeper isn't saving that in a million years!

While I agree Martinez is never saving it, Villa might have a point. You could definitely argue Mo in his line of sight there. 

IMG_9926.png

I know 3 Villa players then also get in his vision and it’s in, it’s not really the point. 

After the decision at the Emptyhad on Saturday, if they’d have disallowed this, it would have been a disgrace. 

17 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You've got to laugh at the calls saying Salah was in the keepers line of sight and offside from Wright and co. The keeper isn't saving that in a million years!

Its the level of punditry in this country, coupled with the level of referees. Its fucking pathetic that they somehow feel like they have to find something to bring a controversy. What makes it worse is these twats actually played the game. 

Schmeichel was so bad yesterday, he was desperate to search for something to find fault with every goal. 

30 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Minor gripe in the circumstances, but Nunez really needs to be putting away a goal himself in a game like yesterday. The few chances he had were easier than his two goals at Newcastle last week. 

Exactly what I said yesterday. He should have atleast had one goal yesterday, he is going to get many of the easy chances he had. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stringvest said:

it's science.  A two footed more mobile player with more game intelligence is always going to be a step up when those attributes become more important.

i think we disagree about both players merits. i agree kostas is 2 footed, but we've done this before - he is not a smarter player in anyway at all. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

i think we disagree about both players merits. i agree kostas is 2 footed, but we've done this before - he is not a smarter player in anyway at all. 

I think you're wrong.  I think Robertson makes poor decisions in most games.  I don't think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's as good as Kostas.

27 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I don't think any of Nunez chances were that easy

Yeah I agree . His chip that hit the bar was really unlucky . I think the one he headed wide was the result of Martinez getting a touch to the cross which impacted the speed and flight of the ball.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It wasn’t a 50/50 decision. It was 100/0. A totally wrong decision, potentially deciding the outcome of the match.

Nonsense , even if I agreed that the decision was wrong (I don’t) it wouldn’t have been a game changer.

1 minute ago, CapeRed said:

Yeah I agree . His chip that hit the bar was really unlucky . I think the one he headed wide was the result of Martinez getting a touch to the cross which impacted the speed and flight of the ball.

yeah, i think the ball was going onto his feet until martinez touched it and he did well to make a header out of it. 

but he has a goal involvement at around every 30 mins so far this season. now he needs more minutes. 

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It was not a foul at all, it was just a simple case of a striker & a defender fighting for the ball. There was no reason for him to flag for it. 

Exactly, and it seems we agree upon that. My initial post may not have been clear enough, but this was my point. By making a major mistake the ref denied us a very good opportunity. Potentially deciding the outcome of the game.

2 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Nonsense , even if I agreed that the decision was wrong (I don’t) it wouldn’t have been a game changer.

Of course it could have changed the game. Salah was picking up the loose ball and had plenty of space to take it into the penalty area with their defence off balance. It was a great piece of pressing, we won the ball in a very dangerous area and teams of our attacking quality tend to take advantage. 

7 minutes ago, etho said:

Got to be playing Nunez every week. Harsh for Gakpo and Jota but they're the squad players in my eyes, the front 3 is Diaz Nunez Salah

I thought Gakpo was brilliant last season once he settled. Really smart footballer with great movement. And when Jota hits a streak he keeps scoring. Some good headaches for Klopp. 

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I thought Gakpo was brilliant last season once he settled. Really smart footballer with great movement. And when Jota hits a streak he keeps scoring. Some good headaches for Klopp. 

i think it has been a tough start so far for gakpo though - mostly not all his doing, but he has struggled a little. i am sure when he starts getting game time in those forward positions we will start seeing more from him, but it will be interesting where he gets his minutes. i don't much see him as player who makes his impact off the bench.