You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EFL Cup Thurs 22nd Dec. Man City vs Liverpool

Lee909

Granted Jota will be unavailable for few weeks and Diaz is out until March but the XIs that didn't start tonight are much stronger than the ones that did.

Also, it was expected that the players who are match fit, would do better tonight and for the next couple of weeks but the extra long season could hinder the WC players which should greatly impact City and help most of out players with virtually a mid-season break behind them. 

Alisson
Trent Konaté VVD Tsimikas
Henderson Fabinho Keita
Jota Firmino Diaz

Ederson
Walker Stones Dias Cancelo
Silva Phillips Ortega
Foden Alvarez Grealish

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Get to fuck.

If we'd won that tonight we would have been clear favourites to win the cup.

What trophies are we going to win because we lost tonight?

Not this season we aren't, avoiding more three game weeks might actually mean we can tilt at a trophy. Love the league cup, but not this season, the schedule is just too fucked.

Didn't want us to phone it in, which we didn't, but not buying anyone acting like its a great tragedy that an understandably rotated side didn't hold out against that gaggle of cheats.

7 hours ago, Simbo said:

Was it just me or were there a few positive signs from Fabs this evening? Obviously not back to anything like his best but I thought he made a few good tackles and interceptions.

Hopefully a small step towards him recapturing his form.

I agree, he looked sharper and in better shape than we’ve seen this season.

7 hours ago, Pidge said:

Not this season we aren't, avoiding more three game weeks might actually mean we can tilt at a trophy. Love the league cup, but not this season, the schedule is just too fucked.

Didn't want us to phone it in, which we didn't, but not buying anyone acting like its a great tragedy that an understandably rotated side didn't hold out against that gaggle of cheats.

Getting knocked out of a trophy means we might compete for a trophy.

Right, gotcha.

8 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Rodri is the one that Milner should have booted up in the air the moment he decided to play the big man against rock solid, five stone wet through, Carvalho.

The ref was fucking dreadful. I know Fabinho has the odd game where he probably should get an earlier booking than he does but Rodri has taken over the mantle from Fernandinho where he seems to just to regularly play the game with completely different rules to everyone else.

That ref has form against us, recognised the name straightaway.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, suzy said:

That ref has form against us, recognised the name straightaway.

He’s the idiot that was on VAR when Pickford did Virgil’s cruciate, and between him and Michael Oliver they completely fucked it and us. Then went on to chalk off a legitimate winner from Hendo for a non-existent offside by Mané in the build-up.

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

He’s the idiot that was on VAR when Pickford did Virgil’s cruciate, and between him and Michael Oliver they completely fucked it and us. Then went on to chalk off a legitimate winner from Hendo for a non-existent offside by Mané in the build-up.

Fuck me, how can that cunt still be working in Football after that disgrace?

He should be nowhere near any of our games.

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

Fuck me, how can that cunt still be working in Football after that disgrace?

He should be nowhere near any of our games.

Point 1.  Because the PGMOL are a bunch of clueless wankers

Point 2. Could be applied to the majority of officials these days. 

As much as I have little love for this competition, I detest losing to these absolute shites. There they go, singing 'Feed the scousers' and then one of our cunt fans hands them the moral high ground by supposedly lobbing a plastic bottle loaded with coins, into their crowd and it striking a 15 year old girl. There were other despicable incidents on the night which is hugely disappointing although not surprising.

Considering the teams put out on the night, I thought the game was far greater entertainment than the 'greatest FIFA World Cup Final, ever' I had to sit through a few days before.

The score could have been 1-1 inside the first 2 minutes. Milner was an accident waiting to happen all night before he went off injured. The fact city opened the scoring when they did was no surprise to me as we couldnt seem to find a way out of our half.

Carvalho seemed to be struggling to get in the game all night but calmly stroked the ball into the net to equalise. I hoped it would give him confidence to get into the game more but I dont think it did and wasnt surprised when he didnt come out for the 2nd half.

Speaking of which, yet again we got caught in the first 3 minutes of the restart. This conceeding early from the kick off in either half really grips my shit. In my view it shows the players arent focused.

But this time we hit back when Ox played a great ball forward and Darwin squared the ball to Mo to finish off. Speaking of Darwin, fuck, ing hell. His finishing was abysmal all night. He had 3 maybe 4 great chances and skewed every one wide.

The 3rd goal was just schoolboy defending. Great to see Nat get a game and a great block on the Trollenheim Terror.

I love Andy Robbo and his never say die attitude but, I really wish he'd show more composure. I mean when did he last score with an angled 20 yarder outside the box especially when city's defence had been opened up?

The ref was a proper shithouse. It's ok wanting the game to flow but he seemed signed up to the Antony Taylor school of reffing when he let too many challenges go and not award a free kick.

• Upvote 1

The story with the plastic receptacle filled with coins appears to be true. It’s an utter cunts trick and should be roundly condemned. 

But, everything like this always brings me back to the same point - that people make out like these things are unique to Liverpool fans and that they don’t have similar scumbags in their own fan base, who they don’t seem to be as quick to condemn. 

City fans have been involved in numerous incidents involving the throwing of objects.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eight-people-done-trouble-manchester-24564418

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2022/04/10/video-man-city-fan-appears-to-throw-coin-at-liverpools-travelling-support-after-full-time-whistle/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10757959/Manchester-City-fan-fired-banned-matches-three-years-throwing-PIE.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-20658846

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/everton-manchester-city-fans-eithad-10801539

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-hooligan-who-partially-blinded-11259793