You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

Every time we kick off we play it back to the right side CB, he lumps it to the left wing. For the last 6 years you knew with 4 seconds that Sadio was about and he was going go smash you into the next week. Now we have Ox pretending to compete for the header or Diaz doing his best but instantly letting the fullback know that he's weaker than him. It might appear a small thing but psychologically it was huge, the right back knew his opponent was braver than him, stronger than and quicker than him. It set the tone for both teams.

I miss Sadio, get him back and stick him in midfield. 

7 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

They're midfield is older than ours.

Well, they have both options really.

The experience of Modric and Kroos, the youth of Camavinga and Tchouaneni, and Valverde and Ceballos something in between. About the perfect balance in a squad.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Well, they have both options really.

The experience of Modric and Kroos, the youth of Camavinga and Tchouaneni, and Valverde and Ceballos something in between. About the perfect balance in a squad.

No argument from me although I think Kross is over the hill and Cabellos a bit shit. Modric, Tchouaméni and Valverde is a perfect trio. They have done a really good in fixing that side, it's less than 2 years ago everyone wanted them in the draw and Spanish football was considered done, now they are close to, if not the best side in Europe. Bellingham and Mbappe brings them that level for the foreseeable future. 

4 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

No argument from me although I think Kross is over the hill and Cabellos a bit shit. Modric, Tchouaméni and Valverde is a perfect trio. They have done a really good in fixing that side, it's less than 2 years ago everyone wanted them in the draw and Spanish football was considered done, now they are close to, if not the best side in Europe. Bellingham and Mbappe brings them that level for the foreseeable future. 

Yeah, remarkable what happens when you spend some money on top class players.

I don't think Cabellos is great either, but he'd still be our second best midfielder.

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think Cabellos is great either, but he'd still be our second best midfielder.

Maybe he is but I wouldn't take him as one the replacements we need.

My point initially, while slightly tongue and cheek was Madrid are one the few sides that won't over run us in midfield. Vini Jr is the one that concerns me.

6 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

My point initially, while slightly tongue and cheek was Madrid are one the few sides that won't over run us in midfield. Vini Jr is the one that concerns me.

I would. But then I'd get rid of Keita, Chamberlain, Henderson, Milner, and Jones between now and next summer.

No one player of theirs particularly concerns me, they're simply a much, much better football team than us.

27 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Wasn't even expensive, what they did. It cost them little. Just really, really smart. They took the right risks on very young players.

They signed Valverde from Uruguay for a couple million as a teenager, signed Camavinga for like 30m, a more than reasonable fee, and almost broke even with Tchouameni by selling Casemiro at the same time. 

24 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

They will overun us though. Valverde will absolutely do that down their right hand side. And if it's Kroosband Modric they won't need to, the lack of press will give them all the time they need to pick the pass

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wasn't even expensive, what they did. It cost them very little. Just really, really smart. They took the right risks on very young players.

They signed Valverde from Uruguay for a couple million as a teenager, signed Camavinga for like 30m, a more than reasonable fee, and almost broke even with Tchouameni by selling Casemiro at the same time. 

Yeah, and they fucked Bale off, and Hazard will be next. Between them probably costing the club over a million quid a week.

They've got half a dozen either out on loan or playing for Castilla who have a decent chance of filling in the gaps in the squad. The new generation of Nachos and Carvajals.

On 02/01/2023 at 13:37, stringvest said:

I'm not sure why - at the moment - we don't play Harvey right, play Mo through the middle, and play Nunez left, with Keita or O-C right midfield.  Pragmatism.

Henderson didnt play against Brentford and we were shite. And as 'shite' as he was against Leicester we still won. I'd rather have someone who is lucky than good.

• Upvote 1

Just caught a bit of the Anfield Wrap podcast saying the owners have briefed the media that there are two lists of players. One list is if the club qualify for the CL and the other if we don't.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to our spending if we even get to the final and earn £100m as we inevitable sell to buy and occasionally have a top up of £20m or so. 

Somehow Adrian managed to blag a contract worth £58k a week yet never plays and takes up a homegrown spot. There's no talk of him being given an extension thankfully.  Milners renewed contract is £60k a week for a 37 year old who should only be playing in an emergency and Firmino is on £180k a week. 

The two injury prone wasters Keita and Ox are on £120k each. That's almost £28m a year off the wage bill before anyone is actively sold. Kelleher has been rumoured to want to leave for first team football and should get a half decent fee but is only on a low contract. 

Next season the stadium will have a capacity of 61,000 and an extra income of £10m. There's still no sales figures for this mythical Nike deal and the club have signed more commercial deals. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Just caught a bit of the Anfield Wrap podcast saying the owners have briefed the media that there are two lists of players. One list is if the club qualify for the CL and the other if we don't.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to our spending if we even get to the final and earn £100m as we inevitable sell to buy and occasionally have a top up of £20m or so. 

Somehow Adrian managed to blag a contract worth £58k a week yet never plays and takes up a homegrown spot. There's no talk of him being given an extension thankfully.  Milners renewed contract is £60k a week for a 37 year old who should only be playing in an emergency and Firmino is on £180k a week. 

The two injury prone wasters Keita and Ox are on £120k each. That's almost £28m a year off the wage bill before anyone is actively sold. Kelleher has been rumoured to want to leave for first team football and should get a half decent fee but is only on a low contract. 

Next season the stadium will have a capacity of 61,000 and an extra income of £10m. There's still no sales figures for this mythical Nike deal and the club have signed more commercial deals. 

They are absolutely fucking raking it in and have been for ages. They are completely taking the piss.

On 03/01/2023 at 12:20, stringvest said:

Mane is our biggest miss.  He gave us so much offensively and defensively.  Diaz showed in fits and starts - he was often peripheral.  Jota a bigger miss than Diaz.

To be fair to Diaz he was still settling in, but showed great energy with some good skills.

What is so concerning is the bad luck in injuries to our more recent important signings including Diaz, Jota & Keita.

Keita gets a bad rap, and I’m certainly pissed of with him as a signing, but the difference in midfield thru the centre when he came on at Brentford was there for all to see. Unfortunately, his brief is clearly to hold more and thrust less, but his skillset is there on display.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

If this is accurate then it suggests that FSG aren't selling up and also that they are going to be even tighter than usual if we don't finish in the top four!

The main reason that we are struggling to qualify now is that they haven't invested 

In the team anywhere near enough over the last few years.

We need at least three midfielders this summer. We need a minimum NET spend of £200 million this summer irregardless of wether we qualify for the Champions league or not. If they don't want to back this club anymore then they need to fuck off. How on earth do they think we'll ever get back in to the top four by spending less money?! 

37 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If this is accurate then it suggests that FSG aren't selling up and also that they are going to be even tighter than usual if we don't finish in the top four!

The main reason that we are struggling to qualify now is that they haven't invested 

In the team anywhere near enough over the last few years.

We need at least three midfielders this summer. We need a minimum NET spend of £200 million this summer irregardless of wether we qualify for the Champions league or not. If they don't want to back this club anymore then they need to fuck off. How on earth do they think we'll ever get back in to the top four by spending less money?! 

They are just a bunch of pisstakers who will do anything to get out of investing any of their own money.

6 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

From Neil Jones that wasn't it. Mental an insanely rare situation of 3 European cup finals in 6 years and still we went windows doing fuck all and then windows doing the absolute minimum they could get away with but being told its about being smart, right player, right price when in reality it's about FSG not having to invest a penny more than they want too. Look at our squad the ages, fucking Elliot in midfield, Carvalho who Doak has been getting ahead of, Milner is 37, OX and Keita 2 average crocks, Henderson past his peak and beginning to gather pace rolling down the other side, Fabinho off to see the wizard for some oil for his rusted up to fuck joints. Suddenly there's a list of cheaper players for if we don't qualify for the champions league! How much cheaper can we get, the team and manager have done everything a side can do to maximise profits the failure is on FSG.  

• Upvote 1

Net spend last 5 years

Arsenal -490ml

Villa -288ml

Chelsea -434ml

Fulham -213ml

Utd -618ml

Newcastle-319ml

Spurs -370

Wolves -395

West Ham -280

Liverpool -288

Fuvk city and their manipulation and off books shit

Here is an interesting stat.

In the games where J.Henderson has played 60 minutes or more this season, we have 9 wins - 1 draw - 1 loss and a goal difference of 36-10. 

The loss was away to Arsenal, and some of us might argue that it was down to an incompetent referee.

4270618B-A0B8-4303-A85A-1A987AEA3698.jpeg