You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF's Greatest Music Video - Round 1 - Group E

Bjornebye

The GF's Greatest Music Video - Round 1 - Group E  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

• Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
    • Like A Prayer - Madonna
    • Boring Girls - Pissed Jeans
    • Free As A Bird - The Beatles
    • Hurt - Johnny Cash
    • Thriller - Michael Jackson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/01/22 at 13:49

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

@Chris Like A Prayer is ace to be fair. Were you referring to that video as the GOAT in nominations? 

Not directed at me I know, but Madonna could have had her songs in every round of this Stig - this, Papa Don't Preach, Like a Virgin, Boderline etc. To my shame I was much too much a scally at the time to recognise her obvious talent (Prince too). She was truly transformational. Every  - and I mean every - girl in my school and out and about wanted to be her (or so it seemed).

Hurt because it makes the song more poignant and Led Zeppelin because of the imagery, although I am not sure it is a proper music video, (same goes for The Beatles) in a sense that it's probably not a contemporary support for the song (I know it says official video but still) .

Madonna has better videos and Thriller, for all the fame and a guaranteed win in the group, I always felt was just what you do when you have unlimited budget and you are making a video for the biggest star in the world. Its production values must have been breathtaking at the time, but so was the video for Say Say Say he did with McCartney which nobody remembers today, since people got used to the form.

20 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Hurt and Thriller. Two ends of the spectrum, one cinematic, whilst the other is introspective and deeply personal. Cash's hand shaking as he pours the wine always gets me, the sheer vulnerability of the man, sends shivers down the spine.

Yeah same. His final throes almost. Love the shots of him going back to his old home. 

14 minutes ago, the chimp said:

Not directed at me I know, but Madonna could have had her songs in every round of this Stig - this, Papa Don't Preach, Like a Virgin, Boderline etc. To my shame I was much too much a scally at the time to recognise her obvious talent (Prince too). She was truly transformational. Every  - and I mean every - girl in my school and out and about wanted to be her (or so it seemed).

I think she’s boss mate and her videos 

11 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The brilliance of Thriller, and Hurt which is devastatingly powerful for me.

Like a Prayer in third.

This 

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Hurt because it makes the song more poignant and Led Zeppelin because of the imagery, although I am not sure it is a proper music video, (same goes for The Beatles) in a sense that it's probably not a contemporary support for the song (I know it says official video but still) .

Madonna has better videos and Thriller, for all the fame and a guaranteed win in the group, I always felt was just what you do when you have unlimited budget and you are making a video for the biggest star in the world. Its production values must have been breathtaking at the time, but so was the video for Say Say Say he did with McCartney which nobody remembers today, since people got used to the form.

That was the video for Free as a Bird when it was released as a single in the 1990s.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What a group! 

I guess since the standard has been abysmal so far, this is one of the better ones. But two good videos and one half decent does not make it especially exciting.

Id say its the least we should expect. 

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

That was the video for Free as a Bird when it was released as a single in the 1990s.

So I read but, the band weren't around any more, so technically yes, it's a proper music video, but done from an artistically much more comfortable position.

The box was hilarious. You used to get the same song played about 3 times in a row. I remember All 4 One - I swear used to get hammered.

On a completely unrelated topic, I had a bit of OCD when I was in school and I had to leave the cable box on that channel or I was convinced I'd have a terrible day.  Little weirdo I was. Luckily before Facebook was around

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, John102 said:

The box was hilarious. You used to get the same song played about 3 times in a row. I remember All 4 One - I swear used to get hammered.

On a completely unrelated topic, I had a bit of OCD when I was in school and I had to leave the cable box on that channel or I was convinced I'd have a terrible day.  Little weirdo I was. Luckily before Facebook was around

2Pac - Changes

Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby One More Time

The Mavericks - Dance The Night Away 

Over and over and over and over and over 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

@Chris Like A Prayer is ace to be fair. Were you referring to that video as the GOAT in nominations? 

It is the GOAT. Totally subversive, massively controversial at the time, tells a proper story (it's essentially a short film with a proper moral) and is one of the best pop songs of the era to boot. And it doesn't hurt that it was the best she ever looked too. 

• Upvote 2